X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

A lot of focus on the 70-yard run but was there a passing game at all in the scrimmage? The expectations are that IUP will come out with a strong passing attack. Are you just saying his style is different than Sexton's? Maybe they just didn't go to the air that much (due to the weather)?
    I was thinking the same. Would be ashame if they aren't able to use all that weaponry on the outside. Sounds like a first read and run type of qb.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    From the IG:
    https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...s-source=login

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

It’s hard to tell much when a team is playing itself and it’s hard to watch in some ways but it at least gives you a sense of what kids are capable of. The offense did look better this week but as you pointed out, it was against the #2 defense. Big difference. The line looked more consistent, although there are still some things to iron out, which is expected. That said, I’m less concerned than I was a week ago.

QB is going to look quite a bit different this fall. Hunter and Sexton in no way resemble each other. Their style and physical ability are essentially opposites. Hunter will create problems with his legs leading to open receivers he can hit, whereas Sexton could squeeze passes into tight coverage and make D1 type throws. Hunter just isn’t that guy, but boy when he took off on the QB draw for the TD it got my attention. That’s the side you’re just not going to see in an intrasquad scrimmage. With all of IUP’s weapons at the skill positions, it’s going to be a nightmare to prepare for. Think Lenny Williams but much bigger and maybe faster.

The defense is going to be interesting. I love how the DB’s look. They’re fast and aggressive. It’s the best group I’ve seen since the Max Redfield year. Top to bottom this group might be stronger. The D line looked solid. As thoroughly discussed, they’re faster and more athletic than they are hole cloggers. If there’s one group that makes me a little nervous it’s linebackers. Obviously they have a stud in DiNunzio-Biss to be the anchor, but let’s hope he stays healthy. The other guys looked pretty good out there, especially Holmes, but they’re young and inexperienced after that. If one of the starters goes down, that combined with a smaller D line could be trouble against teams that can run the ball.

I’m not sure I’ve seen a good punt from Spitler yet of the times I’ve been down to watch. I’m not sure what’s going on there but he’s not making clean contact consistently. Andrassi on the other hand has a big leg and has looked very good. He could be a weapon. Kickoff depth, as mentioned, has been pretty average.

Side note: IUP is blessed with a solid coaching staff. In those settings you can really see things you miss on game day. Tort runs a very organized ship and seems to have a plan for everything. The position coaches are good communicators with a lot of energy and you never get the sense that there’s confusion about what needs to be done. I just wanted to point this out as once games start the conversation about coaches often leans toward the negative.
    A lot of focus on the 70-yard run but was there a passing game at all in the scrimmage? The expectations are that IUP will come out with a strong passing attack. Are you just saying his style is different than Sexton's? Maybe they just didn't go to the air that much (due to the weather)?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP's practice last night had a bigger crowd than many West teams get for actual games lol. Seton Hill and Clarion would have been stoked with Tort's gate last night.

That should be a good sign for next week. If several hundred attended a practice, we should get a big gate next week.

​​​Of course it is a night game ... which always draw much better. What a concept.

Regarding Karst, he may be one of the fastest on the team. I agree most of his throws will come from the fear of him running and mis-direction. Total opposite of the recent QBs. As teams know he can make house calls with his legs, that will make D's real nervous. I'm not warm and fuzzy right now about either backup. But, they often were up against IUP's starting D.

Personally, I felt pretty good about the team after last night.

I'd love a kicker to bury kickoffs. It just eliminates a lot that can go bad - injuries, stupid LIT-AF flags, big returns, etc.

Hopefully the weather was causing the punter issues. Distance wasn't good.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Scrimmage was fairly smooth. No injuries.

Several didn't dress including Lockhart, Stewart and Randy Washington. All looked fine on the sidelines.

Karst ripped off some big runs, including (guessing) about a 70-yarder for a TD (untouched). He has serious wheels. It's very apparent they are going to have him in all sorts of things. Zinobile scored. Ridley and Houser played well. Houser looked very fast and elusive. I get the impression we won't be seeing the long balls from Karst like we saw last year. But, the weather perhaps dictated some calls. His major threat is going to be his very dangerous threat to take off.

No idea whom the backup QB will be. I actually thought Romano looked better (but not by much).

The FG kicker hit a pressure kick to end the two-minute drill (in a heavy rain).

I was not impressed with the kickoff team. Most kicks were only reaching about the 10 or 12 yard line. Punting wasn't great, either. Perhaps they just wanted returns.

IUP's OL in person is gigantic. Biggest I've ever seen at IUP. I thought they played well.

Only so much to take away. The 'ones' weren't playing the 'ones'. But, a lot of energy. Defense has a ton of speed.

Several good performances ... I just don't know all the names and numbers yet.

The play clock wasn't working for the first 45 minutes ... Kind of a tradition at Miller.

I'd say the D won the first half but the starting O won the second half.
    ​​
    It’s hard to tell much when a team is playing itself and it’s hard to watch in some ways but it at least gives you a sense of what kids are capable of. The offense did look better this week but as you pointed out, it was against the #2 defense. Big difference. The line looked more consistent, although there are still some things to iron out, which is expected. That said, I’m less concerned than I was a week ago.

QB is going to look quite a bit different this fall. Hunter and Sexton in no way resemble each other. Their style and physical ability are essentially opposites. Hunter will create problems with his legs leading to open receivers he can hit, whereas Sexton could squeeze passes into tight coverage and make D1 type throws. Hunter just isn’t that guy, but boy when he took off on the QB draw for the TD it got my attention. That’s the side you’re just not going to see in an intrasquad scrimmage. With all of IUP’s weapons at the skill positions, it’s going to be a nightmare to prepare for. Think Lenny Williams but much bigger and maybe faster.

The defense is going to be interesting. I love how the DB’s look. They’re fast and aggressive. It’s the best group I’ve seen since the Max Redfield year. Top to bottom this group might be stronger. The D line looked solid. As thoroughly discussed, they’re faster and more athletic than they are hole cloggers. If there’s one group that makes me a little nervous it’s linebackers. Obviously they have a stud in DiNunzio-Biss to be the anchor, but let’s hope he stays healthy. The other guys looked pretty good out there, especially Holmes, but they’re young and inexperienced after that. If one of the starters goes down, that combined with a smaller D line could be trouble against teams that can run the ball.

I’m not sure I’ve seen a good punt from Spitler yet of the times I’ve been down to watch. I’m not sure what’s going on there but he’s not making clean contact consistently. Andrassi on the other hand has a big leg and has looked very good. He could be a weapon. Kickoff depth, as mentioned, has been pretty average.

Side note: IUP is blessed with a solid coaching staff. In those settings you can really see things you miss on game day. Tort runs a very organized ship and seems to have a plan for everything. The position coaches are good communicators with a lot of energy and you never get the sense that there’s confusion about what needs to be done. I just wanted to point this out as once games start the conversation about coaches often leans toward the negative.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Scrimmage was fairly smooth. No injuries.

Several didn't dress including Lockhart, Stewart and Randy Washington. All looked fine on the sidelines.

Karst ripped off some big runs, including (guessing) about a 70-yarder for a TD (untouched). He has serious wheels. It's very apparent they are going to have him in all sorts of things. Zinobile scored. Ridley and Houser played well. Houser looked very fast and elusive. I get the impression we won't be seeing the long balls from Karst like we saw last year. But, the weather perhaps dictated some calls. His major threat is going to be his very dangerous threat to take off.

No idea whom the backup QB will be. I actually thought Romano looked better (but not by much).

The FG kicker hit a pressure kick to end the two-minute drill (in a heavy rain).

I was not impressed with the kickoff team. Most kicks were only reaching about the 10 or 12 yard line. Punting wasn't great, either. Perhaps they just wanted returns.

IUP's OL in person is gigantic. Biggest I've ever seen at IUP. I thought they played well.

Only so much to take away. The 'ones' weren't playing the 'ones'. But, a lot of energy. Defense has a ton of speed.

Several good performances ... I just don't know all the names and numbers yet.

The play clock wasn't working for the first 45 minutes ... Kind of a tradition at Miller.

I'd say the D won the first half but the starting O won the second half.
    ​​

Leave a comment:

• Iupgh
    replied
    When you look at Ashland's roster, there is a team photo at the top. They seem to have more players dressed than the total enrollment at Clarion. I'm assuming they have a JV team or something?
    Ashland I believe has 157 players on roster. $$$tuition out the wazoo.

Leave a comment:

• Iupgh
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The bottom line is that recruiting transfer QB's has worked for IUP. One would think that with the current portal situation the trend will continue past Hunter. However, IUP seems to have an enviable QB situation. It's interesting that they have retained Marchitelli and Romano, both good prospects. Also, of the 3 (Hunter, Marchitelli, and Romano), none are from PA.

We also have 2 highly-touted incoming freshmen recruits, so I think it's possible somebody currently on the roster might break the trend.

Marchitelli is listed as a RS-Freshman after being the holder all of last year. Can eligibility be based on number of plays or time on the field, as opposed to number of games?
    Deabner was the holder last year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    When you look at Ashland's roster, there is a team photo at the top. They seem to have more players dressed than the total enrollment at Clarion. I'm assuming they have a JV team or something?

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I don't anticipate we'll see him tonight. In fact, I'd guess Tort goes with a pretty light workload for most of the starters.

There will likely be some weather tonight (wind/rain). So, that will be a good experience for the players.

I like the start time. It's a good dress rehearsal for next Thursday. It's also good to get some reps in under the lights.
    Next Thursday! Holy cow!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

HIGHLY doubt he is at 100%. Man....but happy he is back practicing.

I don't anticipate we'll see him tonight. In fact, I'd guess Tort goes with a pretty light workload for most of the starters.

There will likely be some weather tonight (wind/rain). So, that will be a good experience for the players.

I like the start time. It's a good dress rehearsal for next Thursday. It's also good to get some reps in under the lights.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    Any bets when The Personalities will be let out the Looney Bin and show up to “talk ball”.
    Immediately after IUP's first loss.

You have to realize they are talking about the game within the game ... within the game. Mind bomb.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Any bets when The Personalities will be let out the Looney Bin and show up to “talk ball”.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

Edit that ... Jack just said on the radio it's now set to start at 7 p.m. I'd like to check it out but not positive.

Jack also said Dayjure Stewart practiced in pads yesterday after getting the green light to return.
    HIGHLY doubt he is at 100%. Man....but happy he is back practicing.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Edit that ... Jack just said on the radio it's now set to start at 7 p.m. I'd like to check it out but not positive.

Jack also said Dayjure Stewart practiced in pads yesterday after getting the green light to return.
    Wow! I thought that might happen. We'll see how he progresses.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X