X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goalieman
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Rich Ingold was a transfer from South Carolina...and when he transferred to IUP it was a big deal for a program trying to get out of the mud. That was like 1983 I believe.

Scott Woods on the 93 team was a transfer.

Frank had a few transfer QB's and few he recruited.

IUP and transfer QB's is pretty much a tradition.
    QB Ken Ferguson transferred from Pitt to IUP and started at IUP in 1994 and 1995.

Paul Failla was a QB at Notre Dame who left ND with one year of eligibility left to play minor league baseball and after 4-5 years when it was apparent he wasn't going to get to MLB, he came to IUP and started in 1998.

One transfer (JUCO) who started at IUP in 2010 but was a major disappointment was Bo Napolean.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The bottom line is that recruiting transfer QB's has worked for IUP. One would think that with the current portal situation the trend will continue past Hunter. However, IUP seems to have an enviable QB situation. It's interesting that they have retained Marchitelli and Romano, both good prospects. Also, of the 3 (Hunter, Marchitelli, and Romano), none are from PA.

We also have 2 highly-touted incoming freshmen recruits, so I think it's possible somebody currently on the roster might break the trend.

Marchitelli is listed as a RS-Freshman after being the holder all of last year. Can eligibility be based on number of plays or time on the field, as opposed to number of games?
    High School QBs cost money -- especially the coveted ones. That's money that will be sitting on the sidelines for 1-2 years in the vast majority of cases (if you're lucky and they actually stay).

I think that's been at the root of IUP's philosophy. Not to mention this isn't the old days of Johnny Stud QB coming here and sitting for maybe several years - all the while Uncle Jimbo is telling him he should have been at Auburn. Those days are gone.

So, do you want money invested (and tied up) in a high school QB to languish for a couple years (and maybe stay if you're lucky) or would you rather spend it on a play-right-now QB?

Reality is other than the rare Bryan Eyerman types, true freshmen aren't anywhere close to being ready to play.

I'd love to get two years out of these guys but other than that have no issues with Tort's approach. It's actually the only position they've really done this, too. That program is largely home grown.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I think they were hoping Davis from Steubenville was going to be the guy they’d develop, but he never really got there. He’d probably argue he never had the opportunity to get where he needed to be but I have to believe if he showed them more than he did they wouldn’t have gone out and gotten Harry Football.
    At best Davis was 5'10". Tort prefers QBs at least 6'2" (or taller) who can see the field better - the middle in particular.

Curt seemed to like the Lenny types better (he recruited Davis).

The running QBs can add an element for sure but it's usually a matter of time until they are hurt.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The bottom line is that recruiting transfer QB's has worked for IUP. One would think that with the current portal situation the trend will continue past Hunter. However, IUP seems to have an enviable QB situation. It's interesting that they have retained Marchitelli and Romano, both good prospects. Also, of the 3 (Hunter, Marchitelli, and Romano), none are from PA.

We also have 2 highly-touted incoming freshmen recruits, so I think it's possible somebody currently on the roster might break the trend.

Marchitelli is listed as a RS-Freshman after being the holder all of last year. Can eligibility be based on number of plays or time on the field, as opposed to number of games?
    I think they were hoping Davis from Steubenville was going to be the guy they’d develop, but he never really got there. He’d probably argue he never had the opportunity to get where he needed to be but I have to believe if he showed them more than he did they wouldn’t have gone out and gotten Harry Football.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

High school QB recruiting at this level is very tricky - for a lot of reasons.

Tort's track record with QB imports is hard to argue.

Getting a quality backup QB is very hard.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I know many IUP fans will argue it has been good for the program, but I’ve never been a fan of it. If IUP is willing to go out and find a transfer QB anywhere in the country, why not a recruit outside the state? For example, they went all the way to South Dakota (hometown) to find Karst Hunter. At the same time, I’m sure an outstanding high school junior by the name of Bart McAninch out of Mankato West (MN) who just committed to Bemidji State never got a look. The kid was willing to leave the Midwest to play and has family (who I know) reasonably close to Western PA. Pittsburg State was one of his many offers along with a lot of FCS interest. He is essentially the same build as Karst Hunter and plays exactly the same style. On top of that, he’s an outstanding student with a killer work ethic that isn’t the type of kid that will hit the portal at the first opportunity. His junior year he threw for 2,423 yards, 28 TDs and 0 INTS and a 126.1 QB rating while leading his team to the state championship game. Yes, that’s 28 TDs and NO picks. Who doesn’t at least throw a pick or two just due to bad luck?

At the same time I’m typing this I know the answer is budget and time constraints for being able to recruit all over the country. It’s less expensive and risky to allow a kid to prove himself in another program and bring him in for a visit than it is to chase a high school kid too far from home. To be fair, I think the way IUP does it is probably the most effective route given the resources, and Tort and company have landed some big fish over the years despite the lack of budget and facilities. That being said, in a digital world it should be a little easier to see and get feedback on a kid than ever before. I know IUP and most DII schools can’t afford to recruit a lot of out-of-state players, but QB is the one position I’d spend a few bucks on. Since I mentioned Pittsburg State, the majority of their roster comes from states other than Kansas. Ferris State does have a lot of Michigan players on the roster, but they’ve done well in other areas of the country too including Florida. You stand a chance of catching bigger fish in deeper waters. I suppose this is why they look more like an FCS program than DII.
    High school QB recruiting at this level is very tricky - for a lot of reasons.

Tort's track record with QB imports is hard to argue.

Getting a quality backup QB is very hard.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Wallst View Post
    Wow, that is really interesting that IUP has lived for at least the last decade plus solely on transfers and it has been a way of life for almost 40. As someone said you can't argue with the results. Some coaches and programs are better at developing certain positions more than others. Nothing wrong with it just how programs and people are wired.
    Lenny Williams was technically a transfer but came here after redshirting at Temple. So, he was here four years. But, yes, technically he was a transfer.

They've had great success with transfer QBs. I'd have loved to see them all have an extra year in Indiana. Sexton should have been here two but left early.

That's the one position they haven't developed internally. That said, because of the track record, it's hard to recruit good high school QBs. Word is obviously out in these parts that IUP has brought in countless QB imports.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I can't answer the question outside of saying that it seems like this is what Paul Tortorella (head coach) prefers, and Curt Cignetti before him. If he sees an upgrade at the position externally, he goes after that individual.

I actually couldn't tell you the last time IUP has had a "program guy" take over the reigns at QB as the next year's starting QB. I think that's hurt their ability to recruit guys out of high school, however, people will tell you that the #2 and #3 QBs on the roster this year are immensely talented. They are high school recruits, but will they be here next year or will either be the QB next year? Who nows...

Going through history of the fabled IUP transfer QB storybook.

Karst Hunter is the next in line. Prior to him joining the fold, in descending order:

-Mak Sexton (2022)
    -Harry Woodberry (2021)
    -Quinton Maxwell (2019)

The above three were all one-year guys that transferred in and have been their last three QBs prior to Hunter. Prior to those three going through the talented revolving door:

-Lenny Williams (2015-2018) - (He was the IUP QB for four years, but people forget he actually transferred into the program from Temple after his redshirt freshman season. So he too was not a high school recruit)
    -Chase Haslett - (2014) - (the son of IUP legend Jim Haslett, Chase transferred in from Illinois as a grad student - it didn't go well)
    -Mike Box - (2011-2013) - (was a UCONN transfer; officially became the starter early in the 2012 season)

Pat Smith, who was a high school recruit, and a sophomore QB in 2011, was the starting QB for most of 2011. It was clear that he wasn't the future at QB though, and Cignetti began giving Box a lot of game action as the season progressed in 2011. In 2012, Smith entered the year as the starter. Box quickly supplanted him.

So dang... It's been since 2011 since IUP has entered the year with a high school recruit as their QB. That's wild. I wish they would put emphasis on getting and developing their own guys at the position, but I suppose you can't argue with the results.
    One of the backups in contention for No. 2 transferred in from Mars Hill (D2).

There are two freshmen QBs in camp. Both will redshirt. One will likely leave after the season.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

I know many IUP fans will argue it has been good for the program, but I’ve never been a fan of it. If IUP is willing to go out and find a transfer QB anywhere in the country, why not a recruit outside the state? For example, they went all the way to South Dakota (hometown) to find Karst Hunter. At the same time, I’m sure an outstanding high school junior by the name of Bart McAninch out of Mankato West (MN) who just committed to Bemidji State never got a look. The kid was willing to leave the Midwest to play and has family (who I know) reasonably close to Western PA. Pittsburg State was one of his many offers along with a lot of FCS interest. He is essentially the same build as Karst Hunter and plays exactly the same style. On top of that, he’s an outstanding student with a killer work ethic that isn’t the type of kid that will hit the portal at the first opportunity. His junior year he threw for 2,423 yards, 28 TDs and 0 INTS and a 126.1 QB rating while leading his team to the state championship game. Yes, that’s 28 TDs and NO picks. Who doesn’t at least throw a pick or two just due to bad luck?

At the same time I’m typing this I know the answer is budget and time constraints for being able to recruit all over the country. It’s less expensive and risky to allow a kid to prove himself in another program and bring him in for a visit than it is to chase a high school kid too far from home. To be fair, I think the way IUP does it is probably the most effective route given the resources, and Tort and company have landed some big fish over the years despite the lack of budget and facilities. That being said, in a digital world it should be a little easier to see and get feedback on a kid than ever before. I know IUP and most DII schools can’t afford to recruit a lot of out-of-state players, but QB is the one position I’d spend a few bucks on. Since I mentioned Pittsburg State, the majority of their roster comes from states other than Kansas. Ferris State does have a lot of Michigan players on the roster, but they’ve done well in other areas of the country too including Florida. You stand a chance of catching bigger fish in deeper waters. I suppose this is why they look more like an FCS program than DII.
    Interesting. Ship hasn't been able to get the quality depth of IUP in recent seasons, but we've had very good luck in finding QBs in Pa. such as Zac Zulli, Ryan Zapoticky, and Brycen Mussina. Last year was an exception with three rotating guys and injury problems, which was relected in a drop-off at QB.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Wow, that is really interesting that IUP has lived for at least the last decade plus solely on transfers and it has been a way of life for almost 40. As someone said you can't argue with the results. Some coaches and programs are better at developing certain positions more than others. Nothing wrong with it just how programs and people are wired.

Leave a comment:

• Wallst
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I can't answer the question outside of saying that it seems like this is what Paul Tortorella (head coach) prefers, and Curt Cignetti before him. If he sees an upgrade at the position externally, he goes after that individual.

I actually couldn't tell you the last time IUP has had a "program guy" take over the reigns at QB as the next year's starting QB. I think that's hurt their ability to recruit guys out of high school, however, people will tell you that the #2 and #3 QBs on the roster this year are immensely talented. They are high school recruits, but will they be here next year or will either be the QB next year? Who nows...

Karst Hunter is the next in line. Prior to him joining the fold, in descending order:

-Mak Sexton (2022)
    -Harry Woodberry (2021)
    -Quinton Maxwell (2019)

The above three were all one-year guys that transferred in and have been their last three QBs prior to Hunter. Prior to those three going through the talented revolving door:

-Lenny Williams (2015-2018) - (He was the IUP QB for four years, but people forget he actually transferred into the program from Temple after his redshirt freshman season. So he too was not a high school recruit)
    -Chase Haslett - (2014) - (the son of IUP legend Jim Haslett, Chase transferred in from Illinois as a grad student - it didn't go well)
    -Mike Box - (2011-2013) - (was a UCONN transfer; officially became the starter early in the 2012 season)

Pat Smith, who was a high school recruit, and a sophomore QB in 2011, was the starting QB for most of 2011. It was clear that he wasn't the future at QB though, and Cignetti began giving Box a lot of game action as the season progressed in 2011. In 2012, Smith entered the year as the starter. Box quickly supplanted him.

So dang... It's been since 2011 since IUP has entered the year with a high school recruit as their QB. That's wild. I wish they would put emphasis on getting and developing their own guys at the position, but I suppose you can't argue with the results.
    Rich Ingold was a transfer from South Carolina...and when he transferred to IUP it was a big deal for a program trying to get out of the mud. That was like 1983 I believe.

Scott Woods on the 93 team was a transfer.

Frank had a few transfer QB's and few he recruited.

IUP and transfer QB's is pretty much a tradition.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Why is IUP having to hit the portal for qb instead of developing internally, at least recently? Sexton last year, Karst this year? I applaud IUP for branching out and hitting the portal especially in the Midwest. But, there is something to be said for program guys especially at QB.
    Supply and demand my friend. The NE region is saturated with schools of all levels unlike the Midwest. Not easy to get and develop a QB.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Why is IUP having to hit the portal for qb instead of developing internally, at least recently? Sexton last year, Karst this year? I applaud IUP for branching out and hitting the portal especially in the Midwest. But, there is something to be said for program guys especially at QB.

-Mak Sexton (2022)
    -Harry Woodberry (2021)
    -Quinton Maxwell (2019)

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

It's been something IUP has done for the most part over the past 40 years.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X