X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Oh over there. I remember a Kinkos there but not a Valley Dairy but it could have been there. The IUP radio station was in Davis when I was there…that’s where you threw me.
    I was referring to WCCS, not the IUP station. Kinko's was in the front facing the street but Valley Dairy and later a deli were on the side of the building by the intersection.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    There was but I think it closed before 1984 and was replaced by a deli. It was Valley Dairy, like an ice cream shop/convenience store, in the Leininger Building across the street from Elkin Hall.
    Oh over there. I remember a Kinkos there but not a Valley Dairy but it could have been there. The IUP radio station was in Davis when I was there…that’s where you threw me.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's right beside Taco Bell on Oakland (a little down from the Oak Grove).
    In a store under student apartments built in the 80’s right?

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Not in 1984. We had Foster and Folger
    There was but I think it closed before 1984 and was replaced by a deli. It was Valley Dairy, like an ice cream shop/convenience store, in the Leininger Building across the street from Elkin Hall.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Not in 1984. We had Foster and Folger.

We did get a Dennys along Grant at University Square in 1987 which was open 24 hours and would have students in there studying and drinking coffee all night long. I don’t think it lasted that long after o graduated.
    I remember when the Italian Oven was in that general location for a time.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Where is Romeo’s?
    It's right beside Taco Bell on Oakland (a little down from the Oak Grove).

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Wasn't there also a Valley Dairy on the campus side of Leininger Hall, below the radio station, back in the olden days?
    Not in 1984. We had Foster and Folger.

We did get a Dennys along Grant at University Square in 1987 which was open 24 hours and would have students in there studying and drinking coffee all night long. I don’t think it lasted that long after o graduated.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

The Valley Dairy is actually kind of booming. It does very well with the older crowd and also with the students. They didn't price gauge like just about every one of their competitors did (Eat-n-Park, for example, got ridiculous for the quality of what you actually get). VD has also opened several new locations in the past couple years. Obviously it's not four-star dining, but as far as diner food goes it's not too bad.

Romeo's (basically on campus) is the best kept secret in Indiana. I think many see it as a pizza shop but it's evolved in to a full-blown restaurant -- with really good quality food and a great drink menu. The location is tricky for business -- great for a pizza shop per se but perhaps not so great for a higher quality restaurant (most locals don't like to get near campus while in session).
    Where is Romeo’s?

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

The Valley Dairy is actually kind of booming. It does very well with the older crowd and also with the students. They didn't price gauge like just about every one of their competitors did (Eat-n-Park, for example, got ridiculous for the quality of what you actually get). VD has also opened several new locations in the past couple years. Obviously it's not four-star dining, but as far as diner food goes it's not too bad.

Romeo's (basically on campus) is the best kept secret in Indiana. I think many see it as a pizza shop but it's evolved in to a full-blown restaurant -- with really good quality food and a great drink menu. The location is tricky for business -- great for a pizza shop per se but perhaps not so great for a higher quality restaurant (most locals don't like to get near campus while in session).
    Wasn't there also a Valley Dairy on the campus side of Leininger Hall, below the radio station, back in the olden days?

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I always loved those Valley Dairy milkshakes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Well now you have a food truck bringing it all back. I can probably count on one hand and have more than one finger not used in the number of times I set foot in the Indiana Hills. I still never been in the Valley Dairy if it’s still there.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

The whole store smelled like popcorn, Icee's, and hot dogs on rollers LOL
    Well now you have a food truck bringing it all back. I can probably count on one hand and have more than one finger not used in the number of times I set foot in the Indiana Hills. I still never been in the Valley Dairy if it’s still there.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    There is actually going to be a Hills Snack Bar Food Truck out and about in The Yinzerlands for you older yinzers who used to shop at Hills. I don’t remember the snack bar at the Hills that used to at Regency Mall. I really didn’t go into Hills that much..I didn’t do discount in the 80’s. :-)

https://www.wtae.com/article/hills-s...GBRYefUMkMcto#
    The whole store smelled like popcorn, Icee's, and hot dogs on rollers LOL

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    There is actually going to be a Hills Snack Bar Food Truck out and about in The Yinzerlands for you older yinzers who used to shop at Hills. I don’t remember the snack bar at the Hills that used to at Regency Mall. I really didn’t go into Hills that much..I didn’t do discount in the 80’s. :-)

https://www.wtae.com/article/hills-s...GBRYefUMkMcto#

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Here is a link to Supermarket News in case anybody wants to keep up with the latest in groceries.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X