Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    I’d rather have money for scholarships than piss it on a stadium that gets used 5-8 times a year. There isn’t one nice stadium in the Pee Sack.

Everyone is free to write a check to Sutton Hall for a stadium renovation fund.

Scholarship money for IUP is why it’s been successful.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by GLIAC Fan View Post
    Question IUP fans

you’ve got a rock solid football program, a state of the art Bball facility, why is your football stadium such a dump?

attended the Ashland game, very nice campus, nice town, D1 type of Bball arena, and your football stadium was not nice at all.

is there a future plan to make your stadium match your football programs success?
    Good question. I don't think anybody knows the answer to your question - however - I suspect there is no plan to make the stadium match the level of the football program.

It's inexplicable on one level. But, I guess, we know why. It's not a priority for the people who decide what the priorities are.

IUP isn't an independent entity like Ashland. It's completely tied in with the state system and upgrading the stadium has to get approval from the state, either in the form of the PASSHE annual budget, or, more likely, as a capital expenditure (FS82 can correct me on this). So, there are powerful people who hold the purse strings who would ask "Why IUP? Why IUP football?", even though, yes, IUP, in its history has arguably had more on-field success than any other PASSHE school. There is no "IUP is special" mentality.

The KCAC was built along with the promise of serving a greater economic development and community/regional-based role and it has met those expectations. It's hard to make that case for a football field.

IUP has large benefactors. For example, see "new science building." However, they don't have donors on that level who are sports-crazed enough to put their money into a football field. This is in contrast to Ashland University, as I understand it, which has those donors who have provided for academics and athletics on a roughly equal level.

So, for the rest of the contributors, if it's a choice between putting a consistently quality product on the field and having a great stadium, the default is the program. I guess without the commitment from the administration there is no chance of having our dream facility.

At the minimum, though, upgrade the pressbox!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Speaking of...I did a lot of stupid things as a college student visiting IUP for a weekend but the closest I ever came to being arrested was peeing on Jimmy. Worst part was that when I zipped up and ran away, I caught myself with my zipper. Ducked into a house party by some fake fraternity of drummers in the marching band before the police spotlight had me. I think this was February 2003.
    WTF did Jimmy ever do to you? LOL

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Speaking of...I did a lot of stupid things as a college student visiting IUP for a weekend but the closest I ever came to being arrested was peeing on Jimmy. Worst part was that when I zipped up and ran away, I caught myself with my zipper. Ducked into a house party by some fake fraternity of drummers in the marching band before the police spotlight had me. I think this was February 2003.
    Jimmy’s ghost got your talleywacker!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Question IUP fans

you’ve got a rock solid football program, a state of the art Bball facility, why is your football stadium such a dump?

attended the Ashland game, very nice campus, nice town, D1 type of Bball arena, and your football stadium was not nice at all.

is there a future plan to make your stadium match your football programs success?
    In simple terms: no.

In this era of big and fancy, IUP's football facilities are, well, not good. That said, for SR1 standards, they've had a lot of money flowing in to get players and stay highly competitive on the field.

As often discussed on here, there are at least some 'quick fix' items they could do to the stadium, but you're talking more lipstick on a pig type stuff. Major renovation-wise, you're talking the entire home side needs torn down and rebuilt. New fencing would do a ton aesthetically. It's a long list. Put it that way.

They have plenty of room for a new stadium (on the ground of the existing and right behind it) but unless you're writing a real big check, it isn't happening anytime soon.

It is odd because the campus is very nice and the basketball arena is probably Top 5 (and nicer than many D1 arenas). I think we're so used to the stadium it just kind of is what it is. They've had a ton of success there for decades and decades. It's just now way beyond some work here and there.

I'd also add that just about all the PSAC stadiums are equally old and bad. There's only a couple nice ones.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's all true but students weren't really the full story. As I said, we were down almost 4,000 and sure as hell we don't get 4,000 students at a game.
    I seriously believe the opening of the firearms deer season had something to do with it on top of everything else. I know a lot of people who said they weren’t coming because they were hunting. This is western PA and there’s a pretty deep hunting culture.

Lack of promotion didn’t help. You wouldn’t think it matters much but it does. This shouldn’t surprise anyone but IUP was asleep at the switch. I guess everyone wanted to get out of there and on break so they didn’t bother.

Regardless, IUP got the job done and I expect it to be a completely different atmosphere on Saturday. Right now the forecast is for mid 50’s and only a slight chance of rain. That can obviously change between now and then. One way or another, this will very likely IUP’s last home game this year. I suppose if Wingate and Colorado Mines both pull upsets the winner of IUP/Shepherd could get the home game, but that’s highly unlikely.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Glad to come to Miller. We lost that opportunity fair and square. Just a bummer that a solid program can't garner even mediocre support.

I wouldn't say that Shepherd has an ingrained student culture that promotes itself as the thing to do on fall Saturdays in comparison with SRU (FS82). I think its just the administration "allows" the event to flourish as a festive and fun event (aka allowing alcohol with little interference). 1 tailgating lot is just showing no support to your football program. Just a shame.
    So one game all season with low attendance defines us as a fan base. Ok. Got it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Glad to come to Miller. We lost that opportunity fair and square. Just a bummer that a solid program can't garner even mediocre support.

I wouldn't say that Shepherd has an ingrained student culture that promotes itself as the thing to do on fall Saturdays in comparison with SRU (FS82). I think its just the administration "allows" the event to flourish as a festive and fun event (aka allowing alcohol with little interference). 1 tailgating lot is just showing no support to your football program. Just a shame.
    They averaged 4,900 all season prior to the playoff dud. So, they did have a pretty good year at the gate.

Men's basketball leads the Region in attendance every year (and it isn't close).

I'm just hoping last Saturday was just simply a dud. That said, I'll take the win in an empty stadium over a loss in a full stadium.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

If stadiums equaled on the field success then the Cowturds would have multiple rings since the Jerrydome opened.

The KCAC has more events hence it’s nicer.

Today must be Take a Piss on IUP Day.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    Again. Holiday weekend. People were other places.

The Shepherd fans can look down at us all they want, the game isn’t being moved to their stadium.

Leave a comment:

• Ram Tough
    replied
    Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    After watching Ferris Pitt, my heart goes out to the PSAC for having to deal with those refs week in and week out. It wasn't one sided or anything, but, wow, were they ever bad. I mean "read the cliff's notes of refereeing for dummies, but have never been to a football game" bad.
    It's absolutely horrible watching the PSAC refs just bumble around. And there is no consistency, unless being bad week to week counts.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    After watching Ferris Pitt, my heart goes out to the PSAC for having to deal with those refs week in and week out. It wasn't one sided or anything, but, wow, were they ever bad. I mean "read the cliff's notes of refereeing for dummies, but have never been to a football game" bad.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Question IUP fans

If stadiums equaled on the field success then the Cowturds would have multiple rings since the Jerrydome opened.

The KCAC has more events hence it’s nicer.

Today must be Take a Piss on IUP Day.

Leave a comment:

• GLIAC Fan
    replied
    Question IUP fans

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Again. Holiday weekend. People were other places.

The Shepherd fans can look down at us all they want, the game isn’t being moved to their stadium.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X