Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

As you and I have discussed, we're (this small little community) the only D2 nerds who know the difference.

Average fan at Miller or Sox could care less who they play.

That said, teams with actual playoff aspirations should never schedule down (or, up) in my opinion. Nothing to gain either way.
    I agree. Problem is that most coaches will say they are playing for the playoffs. I'm not familiar enough with the RR calculations to measure the difference between beating a D2 doormat and beating a non-D2 school (FCS, D3, or NAIA). When Geneva was NAIA, they played Cal quite frequently but Cal was also not an annual playoff aspirant. For average local interest and gate attendance, 2/3 of the conference would be better off playing the local D3 team students & locals recognize (and who will actually have more than a few car loads attend) instead of an unfamiliar GLIAC or GMAC school.

Comment

That said, teams with actual playoff aspirations should never schedule down (or, up) in my opinion. Nothing to gain either way.
      I wouldn't mind KU playing up once a while. It's good to face a tough challenge regardless of outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by TDBoi8136 View Post

I wouldn't mind KU playing up once a while. It's good to face a tough challenge regardless of outcome.
        Well, so long as KU stays near the top of the PSAC, you won't find any D1 games. They only schedule our lesser teams.

Back in 1999, a really strong IUP team had a powerful Youngstown State team in real hot water. IUP lost (I think) 12-9. I remember saying that day IUP would never get another game like this ... and hasn't since.

Duquesne played Edinboro this past year. They aren't scheduling Cal, IUP or SRU. Robert Morris occasionally schedules a doormat from the MEC (and actually lost to Alderson Broaddus several years ago).

Saint Francis is 30 minutes from IUP and they won't even play IUP in an exhibition in basketball. Joe quit trying after years of being told no.

Comment

I thought you were referring to top end d2 teams. Didn't realize you meant FCS. I would never expect KU to take on any FCS opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I agree. Problem is that most coaches will say they are playing for the playoffs. I'm not familiar enough with the RR calculations to measure the difference between beating a D2 doormat and beating a non-D2 school (FCS, D3, or NAIA). When Geneva was NAIA, they played Cal quite frequently but Cal was also not an annual playoff aspirant. For average local interest and gate attendance, 2/3 of the conference would be better off playing the local D3 team students & locals recognize (and who will actually have more than a few car loads attend) instead of an unfamiliar GLIAC or GMAC school.
            I think playing a complete doormat like WV Wesleyan is a big enough anchor that it's probably worse than playing a local D3 school. But, it's in the conference's interest for its members to schedule D2 doormats in our SR, because that win improves the PSAC's strength of schedule while hurting another conference's strength of schedule. It would not surprise me if there's an internal PSAC guideline that its members must only schedule D2 games, for this reason.

I do think scheduling a local-ish D3 school is better than not playing a game at all.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

I think playing a complete doormat like WV Wesleyan is a big enough anchor that it's probably worse than playing a local D3 school. But, it's in the conference's interest for its members to schedule D2 doormats in our SR, because that win improves the PSAC's strength of schedule while hurting another conference's strength of schedule. It would not surprise me if there's an internal PSAC guideline that its members must only schedule D2 games, for this reason.

I do think scheduling a local-ish D3 school is better than not playing a game at all.
              If I'm remembering correctly, there is no longer a straight algorithm to calculate all of this, but the regional committee is supposed to only look at win percentage against just D2 opponents when looking at record. So a win against 1-9 Alvernia (D3) technically counts the same as a win against Villanova or North Dakota State. However, there is no standard "strength of schedule" calculation so its possible they'll subjectively conclude that a generally positive outcome vs. FCS is better than much of anything against D3 or NAIA. In the past, "strength of schedule" was made up of OWP (opponents' collective winning percentage) and OOWP (collective winning percentage of your opponents opponents). I can't imagine the arithmetic necessary to keep those going.

Comment

Well, so long as KU stays near the top of the PSAC, you won't find any D1 games. They only schedule our lesser teams.

Back in 1999, a really strong IUP team had a powerful Youngstown State team in real hot water. IUP lost (I think) 12-9. I remember saying that day IUP would never get another game like this ... and hasn't since.

Duquesne played Edinboro this past year. They aren't scheduling Cal, IUP or SRU. Robert Morris occasionally schedules a doormat from the MEC (and actually lost to Alderson Broaddus several years ago).

Saint Francis is 30 minutes from IUP and they won't even play IUP in an exhibition in basketball. Joe quit trying after years of being told no.
                Man they had somebody willing to go to Loretto. Thats a rarity. Even people in Loretto don’t want go there.

Comment

Originally posted by TDBoi8136 View Post
                  I thought you were referring to top end d2 teams. Didn't realize you meant FCS. I would never expect KU to take on any FCS opponent.
                  I think it depends on the dollars involved. If Villanova offers $150,000 to play them, that's a hard decision to make.

Comment

IUP, SRU, and Millersville have a pretty good trio of games there. Ashland was obviously a bit down last year but they have been fairly playoff contenders in their time in SR1. New Haven is usually one of the better teams in the NE-10 and a win there could be big for playoff positioning at the end of the year. Frostburg hasn’t quite gotten in yet but they’ve been a solid 8-9 win team most of the last few years. I think Millersville may be biting off more than they can chew but it’s more exciting than playing some bottom-feeder and might be a good measuring stick for their alleged revival.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post
                      IUP, SRU, and Millersville have a pretty good trio of games there. Ashland was obviously a bit down last year but they have been fairly playoff contenders in their time in SR1. New Haven is usually one of the better teams in the NE-10 and a win there could be big for playoff positioning at the end of the year. Frostburg hasn’t quite gotten in yet but they’ve been a solid 8-9 win team most of the last few years. I think Millersville may be biting off more than they can chew but it’s more exciting than playing some bottom-feeder and might be a good measuring stick for their alleged revival.
                      I'd like the 'Ville a lot more in that game if its star LB wasn't now playing for Tort.

It's hard to grasp Frostburg's records. There are a lot of meatball teams in the MEC. I don't think they'd be winning 9 games a year in the PSAC East, put it that way.

Comment

I'd like the 'Ville a lot more in that game if its star LB wasn't now playing for Tort.

It's hard to grasp Frostburg's records. There are a lot of meatball teams in the MEC. I don't think they'd be winning 9 games a year in the PSAC East, put it that way.
                        Imperfect system but Massey has seen them as comparable to the second tier of PSAC playoff or near playoff teams the last few seasons. I don’t know if they’d be a consistent 9 win team but they certainly wouldn’t be Haven or Bloomsburg. Sadly there are quite a few meatball teams in this league too. Our best are usually better than the MECs but our worst are down in the mud with theirs.

Comment

I really like that Millersville/Frostburg game. Yes there are ALOT of scrubs in the MEC but they did beat New haven a sr1 top team on the blue turf.. In a few years Frosty will be better off than most PSAC teams

Comment

Originally posted by frosty55 View Post
                            I really like that Millersville/Frostburg game. Yes there are ALOT of scrubs in the MEC but they did beat New haven a sr1 top team on the blue turf.. In a few years Frosty will be better off than most PSAC teams
                            In a few years Frosty might be a Pee Sack team.

Comment

Originally posted by frosty55 View Post
                              As said below, Frostburg will probably be in the PSAC in a few years. Just a hunch.

Comment

Is there any word on the date of the IUP/Ashland game? Love to see them continue making that game a Thursday night tilt. Think it's worked very well for both schools and it's typically on week 2 of the FBS season when there are traditionally a lot of marquee non-conference matchups. So it's nice to not compete against those games.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X