Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    It's a tough ask to build a sports conference centered on West Virginia. It's not a super populated state, nor is it flush with resources. But I think they can survive with 10 members, 8 football.
    The writing is on the wall. The GMAC is probably going to poach a few schools. Conference Carolinas might take the rest just to build up membership.

Frostburg in the Pee Sack just makes more sense for them. I mean if their application hasn't been emailed to The Home Office In Lock Haven this evening I'll be shocked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
      Rumors picking up steam.

Interesting development but I think the lacrosse tweet plays into this move a lot. Y’all are likely right to be skeptical about the potential for success for certain programs especially football based on their current teams. However, the NEC has been focused on their lacrosse presence. They had enough teams recently for an auto-bid until Merrimack and Sacred Heart moving to the MAAC left them scrambling to pull in two affiliates. Mercyhurst helps shore up that situation with another all sports member having lacrosse.

In football, the NEC limits scholarships I think compared to the full FCS allotment. Other sports will be in shock for a few seasons at the very least. Transitioning to D1 is no joke. But, as y’all have already said, several PSAC teams would compete well with NEC teams in certain sports already.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

• Had they scheduled a non-con for football?

Comment

• Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Interesting development but I think the lacrosse tweet plays into this move a lot. Y’all are likely right to be skeptical about the potential for success for certain programs especially football based on their current teams. However, the NEC has been focused on their lacrosse presence. They had enough teams recently for an auto-bid until Merrimack and Sacred Heart moving to the MAAC left them scrambling to pull in two affiliates. Mercyhurst helps shore up that situation with another all sports member having lacrosse.

In football, the NEC limits scholarships I think compared to the full FCS allotment. Other sports will be in shock for a few seasons at the very least. Transitioning to D1 is no joke. But, as y’all have already said, several PSAC teams would compete well with NEC teams in certain sports already.
          I don't think the NEC limits football scholarships anymore so they qualify for the FBS mercenary games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I don't think the NEC limits football scholarships anymore so they qualify for the FBS mercenary games.
            I gotcha. I wasn’t sure if the still did or not.
            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post
              Had they scheduled a non-con for football?
              Wheeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                The strange thing is that both Merrimack and Sacred Heart moving to the MAAC makes very little sense since the MAAC doesn't sponsor football and now Merrimack and Sacred Heart are going to be independent for the foreseeable future. The move makes some sense geographically for Sacred Heart, since there are other schools in the New York-New Jersey-Connecticut Tri-State area of metro New York City; Merrimack, not so much, since they're north of Boston and their nearest rivals would be Quinnipiac - which is between Hartford and New Haven - or Siena College near Albany.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Interesting article by Matt Burgland in the Indiana Gazette today about the move. Apparently Steve Murray reached out to Hurst two weeks ago due to the rumors and they told him they had “no contact with the NEC.” However in their press conference yesterday they said the move was first discussed in 2004 and then picked up steam about three years ago. How classy and godly of this fine Catholic institution.

Comment

• If that's the worst thing that can be pinned on Mercyhurst, I don't think it's anything a few novenas wouldn't cover.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                      Interesting article by Matt Burgland in the Indiana Gazette today about the move. Apparently Steve Murray reached out to Hurst two weeks ago due to the rumors and they told him they had “no contact with the NEC.” However in their press conference yesterday they said the move was first discussed in 2004 and then picked up steam about three years ago. How classy and godly of this fine Catholic institution.
                      Sure hope Steve has a plan in place. I have my doubts.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Sure hope Steve has a plan in place. I have my doubts.
                        I'm sure he's worried about your doubts...

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I'm sure he's worried about your doubts...
                          A commissioner didn't know a school in his conference was leaving.

That makes him a bigger tool than you, which says a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                            Interesting article by Matt Burgland in the Indiana Gazette today about the move. Apparently Steve Murray reached out to Hurst two weeks ago due to the rumors and they told him they had “no contact with the NEC.” However in their press conference yesterday they said the move was first discussed in 2004 and then picked up steam about three years ago. How classy and godly of this fine Catholic institution.
                            Don't forget this is a university whose president was allowed to retire after an investigation found merit in accusations that he sexually abused boys.

https://abuseguardian.com/william-ga...st-university/

Definitely don't Google the thing about the girl who gave birth on campus then left the baby to die in the dorm bathtub.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

The strange thing is that both Merrimack and Sacred Heart moving to the MAAC makes very little sense since the MAAC doesn't sponsor football and now Merrimack and Sacred Heart are going to be independent for the foreseeable future. The move makes some sense geographically for Sacred Heart, since there are other schools in the New York-New Jersey-Connecticut Tri-State area of metro New York City; Merrimack, not so much, since they're north of Boston and their nearest rivals would be Quinnipiac - which is between Hartford and New Haven - or Siena College near Albany.
                              I agree, the timing of so many moves lately is rushed. Programs are willing to "figure things out later", and when the time comes to figure those out, you end up with the reality of being FCS Independent.

If the America East ever decides to sponsor football on their own, maybe that gives Merrimack and Sacred Heart a life raft as associate members. But the America East seems adamant about not sponsoring football.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They wouldn't have been my first choice to poach, but I see the logistics of it. Their football has been pretty decent but basketball is awful. I think the PSAC should have went after Fairmont State.
                                I think when you look at Frostburg 'Athletics' as a whole, they are pretty competitive --- Additionally, IMO they have more in-line with the PSAC and the Men'/Women's sports they participate in then Shepherd did when they joined - I believe the women's field hocky is an assoc. member of the PSAC already.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X