Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    If driving distance drives the conference realignment model, LU in the PSAC makes much more sense for LU and the rest of the PSAC than staying in the CIAA.
    You keep claiming this but it's far from the only factor. You might say "well what about everyone who wanted NDC to jump to the GMAC" but they were a private school in a conference of mostly public schools, in addition to fitting better in the GMAC's footprint. In hindsight, knowing how dire straits they were in financially, it made sense that they wouldn't want to spend the resources moving conferences.
    ​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Interesting world we live in. Lots of individuals and schools with delusions of grandeur in our portal and NIL atmosphere.
      It’s political in a sense as well. These university presidents and administrations want to put it on their resume that they led their schools to the “big time.” They don’t care about the long-term implications because it’s about them while they’re there. I think this is a very big mistake for most of the schools mentioned in this thread. I think it was a mistake for Mercyhurst. The NEC is completely irrelevant in football and while they do get an automatic bid to the NCAA Basketball Tournament they’re typically rewarded with a play-in game. The only two schools in my opinion that a move makes sense for is Grand Valley State and West Florida. They both have great facilities, good enrollment numbers, and have been more than competitive in most sports.

Division II, as we know on this board, can be a really good place to be. The PSAC is a great DII conference and although I’m sure my opinion is biased, if I was an athlete I’d rather be there than the NEC. It’s funny how many athletes I’ve already seen post on Twitter that “I got my first DI offer from Mercyhurst University.”

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
        You keep claiming this but it's far from the only factor. You might say "well what about everyone who wanted NDC to jump to the GMAC" but they were a private school in a conference of mostly public schools, in addition to fitting better in the GMAC's footprint. In hindsight, knowing how dire straits they were in financially, it made sense that they wouldn't want to spend the resources moving conferences.
        ​​​
        The Lincoln narrative has no legs. It's not happening. When the PSAC adds a team in the next year it will come from the MEC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

If everyone moves up, D1 means less. It also reduces the scraps of the pie from March Madness and will only embolden the P5 to further consolidate and stack the system against the little guys. All making a move to the bottom of a very tall totem pole less valuable. But what the F do we know.
          I agree with this, I wonder, that at the individual schools they are hoping that the move to DI will pump donations and enrollment. The value of getting a chance to be humiliated by a P5 school to the student body is hard to determine. I'm sure Duquesne benefited from its recent playoff appearance. In some places, like Florida, I suppose they have better demographics and some schools are growing in some states. There is also the hope that the less popular sports sports will benefit by growing the university sports infrastructure. Hard to know how a Soccer or Lacrosse or Women's softball DI championship brings attention to the school,

Comment

• Just saw on Football Scoop that Gannon is looking for a game this fall week 7, isn’t that the week the play Mercyhurst?

did Mercy make an announcement?

Comment

• Gannon (D-II – PA): Gannon University is looking for a game for 2024, Week #7 (10/19). Open to all options. If interested please contact Assistant Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator Reilly Murphy at [email protected].

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I agree with this, I wonder, that at the individual schools they are hoping that the move to DI will pump donations and enrollment. The value of getting a chance to be humiliated by a P5 school to the student body is hard to determine. I'm sure Duquesne benefited from its recent playoff appearance. In some places, like Florida, I suppose they have better demographics and some schools are growing in some states. There is also the hope that the less popular sports sports will benefit by growing the university sports infrastructure. Hard to know how a Soccer or Lacrosse or Women's softball DI championship brings attention to the school,
                The 'non-revenue' sports tend to vary greatly by what region of the country they are located. Lacrosse, while barely moving the needle in the North, is a real big thing in the South. Baseball and Softball draw pretty well in the South, too. Nothing like football or basketball, of course, but they have pretty decent followings (compared to the North where college baseball has very little to no following).

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The 'non-revenue' sports tend to vary greatly by what region of the country they are located. Lacrosse, while barely moving the needle in the North, is a real big thing in the South. Baseball and Softball draw pretty well in the South, too. Nothing like football or basketball, of course, but they have pretty decent followings (compared to the North where college baseball has very little to no following).
                  The best D1 women's lacrosse team in the country is probably Northwestern, who recently beat No. 2 Maryland 17-9. The Northeast, Maryland region and ACC schools tend to play the best lacrosse. New York also has strong high school teams. The Northwestern coach, a former star at Maryland, has recruited tremendously since she arrived there several years back.

Comment

• https://www.goerie.com/story/sports/...c/73203730007/

Relevant quote:
                    The Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference will operate with an uneven number of member schools in 2024-25, commissioner Steve Murray confirmed Thursday.
                    Maybe this was obvious because it's so late in the game, but Frostburg or anyone else to the PSAC is gonna have to wait until at least 2025

Comment

• Originally posted by Finchwidget View Post
                      https://www.goerie.com/story/sports/...c/73203730007/

Relevant quote:

Maybe this was obvious because it's so late in the game, but Frostburg or anyone else to the PSAC is gonna have to wait until at least 2025
                      Yeah, there simply would be no time to process admitting another school and putting together a fall schedule at this point. Mercyhurst really put them in a bind for the coming year.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        Until the ongoing attempt to rebuild PASSHE schools into more specialized schools, weren't they all focused on a Liberal Arts education?

While LU might align more closely with the CIAA than the PSAC, they are also pretty much on an island with long trips to most of their other conference members. If driving distance drives the conference realignment model, LU in the PSAC makes much more sense for LU and the rest of the PSAC than staying in the CIAA.
                        Just resign yourself to the fact an MEC school is going to get plucked by the Pee Sack.

Comment

• Originally posted by GLIAC Fan View Post
                          Just saw on Football Scoop that Gannon is looking for a game this fall week 7, isn’t that the week the play Mercyhurst?

did Mercy make an announcement?
                          It is going to be very hard to find an opponent to fill an open spot that late in the season.

I know THE ROCK is going to try to fill the Oct 26th date, it was a scheduled home game against Mercyhurst. The team that could fill it has a bye week that week; but would probably want some money to travel; since it would be a long bus trip for them, I don't expect for them to accept THE ROCK's invitation to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Yeah, there simply would be no time to process admitting another school and putting together a fall schedule at this point. Mercyhurst really put them in a bind for the coming year.
                            Because they are an ignorant, rude school…

The had to be shamed into reacting to Danny Briere’s douche bag son pushing that woman’s wheelchair down the steps.
                            Last edited by IUPNation; 04-08-2024, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Moving up to obscurity.
                              New Haven has been wanting to move since they hired Zenger several years ago and the hard hats showed up to build the new locker room/training center. I think they would have made the move a year or two ago if there wasn’t a president search. Now that the president is in place, they probably want to figure out who the permanent AD is (Zenger was the AD and interim president and is now EVP/COO) before making the move.

That being said, I have posted on this board that I think the move isn’t a good idea. As difficult as it has been for a program like New Haven to be competitive with the best in SR1, D1 and FCS are even tougher and more expensive too. As a conference, the NEC is closer to D2 in quality than they are to D1 and the only thing they are known for is giving Purdue’s basketball team the ultimate motivation to win it all.

Anyway, New Haven did post their football schedule today. First game at Slippery Rock 1:00 on 9/7.

Comment

• Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

It is going to be very hard to find an opponent to fill an open spot that late in the season.

I know THE ROCK is going to try to fill the Oct 26th date, it was a scheduled home game against Mercyhurst. The team that could fill it has a bye week that week; but would probably want some money to travel; since it would be a long bus trip for them, I don't expect for them to accept THE ROCK's invitation to play.
                                Northwest Missouri State?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X