Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
    Going by the 'characters' that you IUP faithful reference from back in the day... eventually this was going to happen. You might be able to say that Cal in the late 2000's was an extension of that type of team from the early to mid 90's IUP. Eventually, the warts were going be too much to just brush under the rug.
    Well, you have to keep in mind the characters and the IUP Rule are very different topics.

Frank basically had a sea of Big East cast-offs in that era. He crushed the entire region in fundraising and simply bought talent unmatched in the league. With his background, he had connections out the wazzou in the 90s. There was basically a pipeline running from Pitt to Indiana.

That would never happen today. All those guys would have just landed at different D1 programs. Transfer rules were tougher back then (D1 to D1 had to sit a year, etc.)

I watched IUP teams play West teams in the 90s and you were almost concerned for the safety of the other team. It was that uneven many, many days.

As for the 'characters' ... IUP has a pretty protected program - even more so during that time. Most of the issues were handled internally (the word 'internally' has a wide web in this instance). There was little the good ole' boy network couldn't fix. Said network still exists today but it's much less powerful.

The IUP Rule changed everything. You can Google some articles the Trib and Post-Gazette ran on it from back then. IUP has had some good teams since then but nothing like the early and mid-90s. The '93 team was like a D2 version of the bad boy Miami Hurricanes of the 80s. They'd stomp you and then sure would let you know about it.

Comment

I feel like there should have been some sort of class action settlement for IUP faithful of the 80s and 90s to get so many free hours of therapy to process their IUP Rule baggage.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        I feel like there should have been some sort of class action settlement for IUP faithful of the 80s and 90s to get so many free hours of therapy to process their IUP Rule baggage.
        People can joke about it all they want but let's think about what happened with the IUP Rule.

IUP had elevated their fundraising and program competitiveness to a level that the rest of the league couldn't keep up with so the coaches in the league (led by Denny Douds, I believe) banded together to set an artificially low scholarship limitation, which curtailed IUP's competitive advantage IUP. had achieved that level of competitiveness while working within the D2 rules.

In the present climate, could something like this happen today?

(Note: I am not one of the posters who keeps bringing the IUP Rule up, I just figured that now since we are once again talking about it, ...)
        Last edited by iupgroundhog; 04-18-2024, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The warts only surfaced AFTER the IUP Rule was implemented.
          Or as the internet came into existence and thus more publicity good and bad. The rule is BS, and I agree that it undermined not only IUP but the PSAC as a whole on the national platform as well.

Comment

People can joke about it all they want but let's think about what happened with the IUP Rule.

IUP had elevated their fundraising and program competitiveness to a level that the rest of the league couldn't keep up with so the coaches in the league (led by Denny Douds, I believe) banded together to set an artificially low scholarship limitation, which curtailed IUP's competitive advantage IUP had achieved that level of competitiveness while working within the D2 rules.

(Note: I am not one of the posters who keeps bringing the IUP Rule up, I just figured that now since we are once again talking about it, ...)
            Aside from new turf designs there isn't much else to b.s. about.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Or as the internet came into existence and thus more publicity good and bad. The rule is BS, and I agree that it undermined not only IUP but the PSAC as a whole on the national platform as well.
              I don't think the internet had anything to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

13? Still spewing falsehoods.
                He can't help himself. His feelings always get in the way of the facts...

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

13? Still spewing falsehoods.
                  Proof?

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

He can't help himself. His feelings always get in the way of the facts...
                    No comment on the post saying Denny spearheaded the IUp Rule?

Frank also upgraded the field..lights, new scoreboard and turf in the 90’s. Not that it did any good to get home playoffs games after the NCAA threatened IUP to fix it up after the Mud Bowl against North Dakotastan.

Still it’s a state owned facility and the state needs to pay for the renovation of The Cig. Josh is sitting on a few billion in the coffers. Time to fork 20 million over.
                    Last edited by IUPNation; 04-18-2024, 04:05 PM.

Comment

IUP had elevated their fundraising and program competitiveness to a level that the rest of the league couldn't keep up with so the coaches in the league (led by Denny Douds, I believe) banded together to set an artificially low scholarship limitation, which curtailed IUP's competitive advantage IUP. had achieved that level of competitiveness while working within the D2 rules.

Color me shocked that Denny .500 Douds spearheaded the effort….probably assisted by Dr. Evil.

Comment

On top of suing for reparations for sabotaging Frank..we can also throw in the unequal treatment. IUP wanted a new barn and had conditions for state funding to meet that took time…The Godfather had to have one too and didn’t he dupe Harrisburg to pay for most of it with no conditions?

So every school could demand money for facility renovations..lord knows they all need it.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                          On top of suing for reparations for sabotaging Frank..we can also throw in the unequal treatment. IUP wanted a new barn and had conditions for state funding to meet that took time…The Godfather had to have one too and didn’t he dupe Harrisburg to pay for most of it with no conditions?

So every school could demand money for facility renovations..lord knows they all need it.
                          When they finally do it ... no freaking track.

Check out Ashland. That's the perfect D2 stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Color me shocked that Denny .500 Douds spearheaded the effort….probably assisted by Dr. Evil.
                            Denny says to call a timeout and walk away.

I know. I know. Tort says to call one whether you have it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

When they finally do it ... no freaking track.

Check out Ashland. That's the perfect D2 stadium.
                              Im partial to West Texastan A&M’s stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Denny says to call a timeout and walk away.

I know. I know. Tort says to call one whether you have it or not.
                                Imagine having a job for over 40 years because you went like 60-2 vs 2 teams that inflated the resume.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X