Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So is M. Carter (GV) gone? Supplemental Draft

Marty is in critical condition after he was shot yesterday at an East Chicago gas station.
    http://s.mlive.com/E8tz7vR

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
      Marty is in critical condition after he was shot yesterday at an East Chicago gas station.
      http://s.mlive.com/E8tz7vR
      Amazing how things can change in a few months. A college athlete, arguably the best RB to ever grace GVSU to being on the brink of death by gun shot. Goes to show, live every day like it's your last.

Praying for Marty to pull through.

Comment

So tragic. Praying for Marty to pull through.

Comment

horrible news

Comment

Sad that people face this so routinely. Come on Marty, out run this one somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by bankslaker View Post
              Amazing how things can change in a few months. A college athlete, arguably the best RB to ever grace GVSU to being on the brink of death by gun shot. Goes to show, live every day like it's your last.

Praying for Marty to pull through.
              Sure hope he recovers.

Comment

I found some slightly different new information about Carter that brings up more questions about his eligibility and some things that unfortunately make this situation even worse.

First, I would like to say I hope and pray that he makes a full and complete recovery. Second, this is worse because we are talking about not only a 23 year old person with career dreams of playing in the NFL, but also we are talking about a father of two children (which I did not know about).

The final thing I found out is that apparently there is no academic issue. In an article about Carter leaving GVSU it is mentioned that he is 1 semester away from graduating and that he has a 2.5 GPA at GVSU and is in good academic standing. It is even mentioned that Matt Mitchell stated he would help him come back and finish his degree at any time.

The question then remains why was he ruled ineligible.

He played his last season of high school football and does not appear to be an early enrollee at GVSU, as he had been committed to NIU, but never applied or signed a NLI. He is listed on the GVSU roster as a redshirt in 2014, then played in 2015, 2016 and 2017. Unless something has changed he should not have been out of eligible semesters unless the NCAA rule has changed. The NCAA used to have what was basically the 10 and 8 rule, which meant you had 10 semesters available to complete 8 semesters of "competition." With the redshirt in 2014, and playing in 2015, 2016 and 2017, he would have used 8 of his 10 available semesters of school, thus meaning the 2018-2019 school year would still be available.

I wonder if there was an issue with his redshirt in 2014 and as a result he actually did not have 1 year of eligibility left to play. Did he some how see the field in 2014 and it was overlooked somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
                  I found some slightly different new information about Carter that brings up more questions about his eligibility and some things that unfortunately make this situation even worse.

First, I would like to say I hope and pray that he makes a full and complete recovery. Second, this is worse because we are talking about not only a 23 year old person with career dreams of playing in the NFL, but also we are talking about a father of two children (which I did not know about).

The final thing I found out is that apparently there is no academic issue. In an article about Carter leaving GVSU it is mentioned that he is 1 semester away from graduating and that he has a 2.5 GPA at GVSU and is in good academic standing. It is even mentioned that Matt Mitchell stated he would help him come back and finish his degree at any time.

The question then remains why was he ruled ineligible.

He played his last season of high school football and does not appear to be an early enrollee at GVSU, as he had been committed to NIU, but never applied or signed a NLI. He is listed on the GVSU roster as a redshirt in 2014, then played in 2015, 2016 and 2017. Unless something has changed he should not have been out of eligible semesters unless the NCAA rule has changed. The NCAA used to have what was basically the 10 and 8 rule, which meant you had 10 semesters available to complete 8 semesters of "competition." With the redshirt in 2014, and playing in 2015, 2016 and 2017, he would have used 8 of his 10 available semesters of school, thus meaning the 2018-2019 school year would still be available.

I wonder if there was an issue with his redshirt in 2014 and as a result he actually did not have 1 year of eligibility left to play. Did he some how see the field in 2014 and it was overlooked somehow?
                  You can have a 3.0 and not be able to play the next semester..if you do not pass the required hours in the previous semester you cannot play period. GVSU managed his clock and semesters just fine, sadly Marty did not do what HE needed to do in the classroom period. Now this horrible shooting..so many young people involved in the gun violence in Chicago and other places too. Prayers for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
                    You can have a 3.0 and not be able to play the next semester..if you do not pass the required hours in the previous semester you cannot play period. GVSU managed his clock and semesters just fine, sadly Marty did not do what HE needed to do in the classroom period. Now this horrible shooting..so many young people involved in the gun violence in Chicago and other places too. Prayers for Marty...
                    Your post is accurate, but I simply wanted to point out that you could have a 4.0 and not be eligible if you dropped a class. You could have 12 hours the fall semester and 11 hours the spring semester and be ineligible if you didn't pick up an hour in the summer. Obviously that's not what has happened here but I just felt the need to add that there are all sorts of ways to be a good student and be ineligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                      Your post is accurate, but I simply wanted to point out that you could have a 4.0 and not be eligible if you dropped a class. You could have 12 hours the fall semester and 11 hours the spring semester and be ineligible if you didn't pick up an hour in the summer. Obviously that's not what has happened here but I just felt the need to add that there are all sorts of ways to be a good student and be ineligible.
                      I was not disagreeing and I was a former student athlete at GVSU, so I do know the requirements. What does not make sense is why GVSU would come out and say he had a 2.5 and was in good academic standing with the university. Good Academic standing often implies you are following the required credit hour path, which is his credit hours may not have been.

I would guess that he may have actually retaken a class, which IIRC does not count towards the required number of credit hours, thus causing him to fall below the limit if it was a credit hour issue.

Has anyone heard updates on his condition. Everything I've found seems is from Monday at the latest. Hopefully he can make a full recovery.

Comment

Because it makes the university look good to say he was in good academic standing and he probably was. It might have changed but I think anything over 9 hours per semester makes someone a full time student just not eligible by NCAA standards. Heck from a $ standpoint schools would probably love everyone to move at 20 hours a year instead of 30.

Also in regards to the video of Carter playing football. The people at Arrowhead Addict are probably referring to what they can find on YouTube or rivals or scouts inc. Doubtful they went too many other places.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
                          I was not disagreeing and I was a former student athlete at GVSU, so I do know the requirements. What does not make sense is why GVSU would come out and say he had a 2.5 and was in good academic standing with the university. Good Academic standing often implies you are following the required credit hour path, which is his credit hours may not have been.

I would guess that he may have actually retaken a class, which IIRC does not count towards the required number of credit hours, thus causing him to fall below the limit if it was a credit hour issue.

Has anyone heard updates on his condition. Everything I've found seems is from Monday at the latest. Hopefully he can make a full recovery.
                          Yea I'm a little confused. Monday the latest report said that he was no longer a patient at the hospital. But nothing beyond that. That seems awfully weird considering it was 24 hours after he was listed in critical condition.
                          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post
                            Because it makes the university look good to say he was in good academic standing and he probably was. It might have changed but I think anything over 9 hours per semester makes someone a full time student just not eligible by NCAA standards. Heck from a $ standpoint schools would probably love everyone to move at 20 hours a year instead of 30.

Also in regards to the video of Carter playing football. The people at Arrowhead Addict are probably referring to what they can find on YouTube or rivals or scouts inc. Doubtful they went too many other places.
                            I honestly think it was a coach trying to protect the reputation of a player.

Comment

Comment

Re: The Marty Carter Thread

Link for anyone who hasn't seen it: https://www.mlive.com/sports/2018/08...artayveus.html
                                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X