Announcement

Collapse

Inside D2Football - With Todd Knight and Jon Anderson

Inside D2Football - With Todd Knight and Jon Anderson

Tonight 8pm Eastern

https://www.d2football.com/insided2football/
See more
See less

Northwood Exit and Expansion Discussion

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

    For that reason, I would say the GLIAC should not pursue any private school to join the conference. Every single one that joined has left. All remaining members (minus Davenport) are public universities and it's only a matter of time before Davenport departs as well. From what I've heard, they're hurting financially. Throwing money at the athletic program to compete with GVSU can only last so long.
    I understand the idea, but who does that leave? There are just no good public options for expansion in the GLIAC footprint.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

      For that reason, I would say the GLIAC should not pursue any private school to join the conference. Every single one that joined has left. All remaining members (minus Davenport) are public universities and it's only a matter of time before Davenport departs as well. From what I've heard, they're hurting financially. Throwing money at the athletic program to compete with GVSU can only last so long.
      Yikes, if they get down to the public six football playing, they will need to find a scheduling alliance, or double up with H&H

      If there was not a counter for playing within division, a far fetched idea would be convince the 6 midwest Pioneer schools to play weeks 4&5

      Comment


      • Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

        Yikes, if they get down to the public six football playing, they will need to find a scheduling alliance, or double up with H&H

        If there was not a counter for playing within division, a far fetched idea would be convince the 6 midwest Pioneer schools to play weeks 4&5
        Not gonna lie, that Pioneer idea is not the craziest, and it could add some interesting matchups. I think Michigan Tech is playing St. Thomas this year, so I guess we could see how it could look there. The only hangup is that due to the isolated nature of the Pioneer schools, some in DII may not want to work with them. This is anecdotal, but when I went to Uindy, the main reason that the AD gave for not scheduling cross town opponent Butler was that Uindy would 1. wipe the floor with a no scholarship team, akin to playing a D3. 2. Butler (and the other D1s) think they are somehow above to "too good" to lower themselves to play a D2.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

          Not gonna lie, that Pioneer idea is not the craziest, and it could add some interesting matchups. I think Michigan Tech is playing St. Thomas this year, so I guess we could see how it could look there. The only hangup is that due to the isolated nature of the Pioneer schools, some in DII may not want to work with them. This is anecdotal, but when I went to Uindy, the main reason that the AD gave for not scheduling cross town opponent Butler was that Uindy would 1. wipe the floor with a no scholarship team, akin to playing a D3. 2. Butler (and the other D1s) think they are somehow above to "too good" to lower themselves to play a D2.
          Butler is playing Taylor and Depauw this year.
          Drake, Morehead, & Valpo usually play down a time or two a year.
          St T is also playing St F (IL) in addition to M Tech
          Dayton played Central St in '16

          The other five non-midwest would balk at this.
          I think that San Diego should just see about getting into the Big Sky and remain non-scholly.

          Comment


          • To give you an idea of how bad it is for the GLIAC with this mass exodus, I just noticed that GVSU is playing a D3 opponent in Wisconsin-La Crosse. Honestly, let's just go D1/D1-FCS.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
              To give you an idea of how bad it is for the GLIAC with this mass exodus, I just noticed that GVSU is playing a D3 opponent in Wisconsin-La Crosse. Honestly, let's just go D1/D1-FCS.
              They needed a replacement for Ashland on short notice.
              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

              Comment


              • Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

                They needed a replacement for Ashland on short notice.
                Youngstown St was open, could have been a test to see how GVSU compared to FCS for reference.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

                  Youngstown St was open, could have been a test to see how GVSU compared to FCS for reference.
                  GV wasn't gonna go travel somewhere else the week before having to go to the UP, and have three straight away games. They already have to go to the UP twice this season, would be silly to add another away game to the schedule.
                  2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

                    Sorry, I should have been more clear. NAU is dominating the men's XC in D1. They don't have a women's team. GV's women have been dominating XC in D2. There really is no dominant force in women's D1 XC. The GV women could easily take that spot. Men's XC, the GV men won the title in 2018. They are always near the top of the standings. They could easily become championship contenders and contend regularly.

                    I'm just pointing out that XC is a sport where really any school can win titles in D1. It's not normally limited to only power conference schools or the D1 blue bloods like Alabama and Michigan and Stanford and UCLA and North Carolina and whatnot, as most other sports are. Anyone can win national titles in D1 XC.
                    Yes, NAU has a women's XC team:

                    2020 Cross Country Roster - Northern Arizona University Athletics (nauathletics.com)

                    They have had 18 NC appearances.

                    The reason that there has been no "dominate" teams is that the sport has incredible parity. GV might be able to get to NCs, but they would not dominate.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

                      Yes, NAU has a women's XC team:

                      2020 Cross Country Roster - Northern Arizona University Athletics (nauathletics.com)

                      They have had 18 NC appearances.

                      The reason that there has been no "dominate" teams is that the sport has incredible parity. GV might be able to get to NCs, but they would not dominate.
                      I'm not sure what I was looking at, haha. I looked at the schedule (which just had one men's result) and the all-time NCAA results (which doesn't have any women's listings since 2008) and thought they just didn't have a women's team. Looks like they just have not been as successful lately lol.
                      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

                        I'm not sure what I was looking at, haha. I looked at the schedule (which just had one men's result) and the all-time NCAA results (which doesn't have any women's listings since 2008) and thought they just didn't have a women's team. Looks like they just have not been as successful lately lol.
                        Yeah, going to NCs the last several years and having two individual NC pales to winning the men's titles a few years in a row...

                        NAU is a powerhouse in XC. The latest staff ahs been there since 2016 and just recently made big inroads on the women's side.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                          To give you an idea of how bad it is for the GLIAC with this mass exodus, I just noticed that GVSU is playing a D3 opponent in Wisconsin-La Crosse. Honestly, let's just go D1/D1-FCS.
                          This game has been discussed out here already. Kle summed it up well: We were in a bind w/ Ashland bailing, and we didn't need three straight roadies including a UP trip. While I'm not a fan of it and I have no idea how hard we did or didn't work to try and fill this with a D2 game, I find it hilarious that this is somehow another reason to go D1.

                          Since you seem to think it's so simple, I'll go out and stand by the mailbox and wait for the check you're going to send to cover all of the expenses tied to this. You can send us the big one to get things started on facility upgrades, and another one each year to cover the additional schollies, staff salaries, and additional travel we would incur. You can also cover the shortfalls we would see in reduced attendance because we play teams no one cares about and because we don't win as much, and you can also backfill the marketing budget that would need help because we aren't competing for national titles anymore.

                          Brilliant...

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

                            GV wasn't gonna go travel somewhere else the week before having to go to the UP, and have three straight away games. They already have to go to the UP twice this season, would be silly to add another away game to the schedule.
                            Was the Ashland game they were replacing a home or away game? Seems like they now have three straight home games - so it was going to be three straight of something either way.

                            Actually would have loved to have seen GVSU/Youngstown. That seems like a game folks would have gotten excited about.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

                              This game has been discussed out here already. Kle summed it up well: We were in a bind w/ Ashland bailing, and we didn't need three straight roadies including a UP trip. While I'm not a fan of it and I have no idea how hard we did or didn't work to try and fill this with a D2 game, I find it hilarious that this is somehow another reason to go D1.

                              Since you seem to think it's so simple, I'll go out and stand by the mailbox and wait for the check you're going to send to cover all of the expenses tied to this. You can send us the big one to get things started on facility upgrades, and another one each year to cover the additional schollies, staff salaries, and additional travel we would incur. You can also cover the shortfalls we would see in reduced attendance because we play teams no one cares about and because we don't win as much, and you can also backfill the marketing budget that would need help because we aren't competing for national titles anymore.

                              Brilliant...
                              Yeah, because every ho-hum regional state university has only ever participated in Division I/Division I-FCS because one man funded the whole thing. That's exactly how it works. It wasn't the collective donations from an alumni base of 130,000, or the media revenue, or the payouts to play FBS opponents, or the merch, or the increased attendance, or donations from local leaders to get their names on a bigger product, etc. Just because the money isn't there now doesn't mean that it won't be in the long-run. In order to budget for an increase in spending, you have to do a statistical analysis that factors in all of that plus more to ensure that it works. I do it all the time in what I do. I would hope that they don't just trudge around saying, "help me, I'm poor" and thus never evolve.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

                                Yeah, because every ho-hum regional state university has only ever participated in Division I/Division I-FCS because one man funded the whole thing. That's exactly how it works. It wasn't the collective donations from an alumni base of 130,000, or the media revenue, or the payouts to play FBS opponents, or the merch, or the increased attendance, or donations from local leaders to get their names on a bigger product, etc. Just because the money isn't there now doesn't mean that it won't be in the long-run. In order to budget for an increase in spending, you have to do a statistical analysis that factors in all of that plus more to ensure that it works. I do it all the time in what I do. I would hope that they don't just trudge around saying, "help me, I'm poor" and thus never evolve.
                                There's not a single non-P5 athletic department that makes money in D1. 25 of the 65 P5 schools made a profit from their athletic program in 2019.

                                It's worse for Division I non-autonomy schools, or those outside the Power Five conferences. All 64 of these institutions lost money in 2019, with a median deficit of $23 million per school.

                                Also included in the NCAA's Division I classification are Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) schools, the former I-AA programs that compete in a year-end tournament to determine the national champion. The Power Five and other top conferences are classified as Football Bowl Subdivision schools, which compete at the season's end through a series of bowl games culminating in a four-team playoff to determine the champion.

                                Of the 125 FCS schools, all reported a negative net generated revenue in 2019, with a median loss of $14.3 million per institution.

                                Finally, Division I includes 97 schools without football programs. All of them had a negative net revenue in 2019, with a median loss of $14.4 million. And not one college in the NCAA's Division II or III saw their revenues exceed expenses that year.

                                In total, then, only 25 of the approximately 1,100 schools across 102 conferences in the NCAA made money on college sports last year. That's because the cost of running an entire athletics program, which can feature as many as 40 sports, almost always exceeds the revenue generated by the marquee attractions of football and basketball.
                                There's only 25 universities who are *not* trudging around saying "help me, I'm poor." All but 25 athletic programs are poor, GV included. GV just happens to be less poor because they're in D-II and the numbers aren't as big.

                                https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/do...ts-make-money/
                                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X