Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northwood Exit and Expansion Discussion

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Comment


    • Would GV or Ferris ever think of being more proactive in leaving the GLIAC? Not sure about Ferris, but GV seems to have the $ to make things work travel wise if say they wanted to join the GMAC or the GLVC even? Just curious if the fanbase thinks they should be proactive in leaving a possible sinking ship rather than standing pat and be left holding the bag if it doesn't work out?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
        Would GV or Ferris ever think of being more proactive in leaving the GLIAC? Not sure about Ferris, but GV seems to have the $ to make things work travel wise if say they wanted to join the GMAC or the GLVC even? Just curious if the fanbase thinks they should be proactive in leaving a possible sinking ship rather than standing pat and be left holding the bag if it doesn't work out?
        I think we will see a vertical move for GV, not a horizontal. If conferences were move receptive of having them join I think we could maybe see GV join another D2 conference but I dont think that will happen.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
          Would GV or Ferris ever think of being more proactive in leaving the GLIAC? Not sure about Ferris, but GV seems to have the $ to make things work travel wise if say they wanted to join the GMAC or the GLVC even? Just curious if the fanbase thinks they should be proactive in leaving a possible sinking ship rather than standing pat and be left holding the bag if it doesn't work out?
          The teams in the GMAC are there because they didn't want to be with GV.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

            The teams in the GMAC are there because they didn't want to be with GV.
            We don't want ANY public schools in the GMAC.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
              Would GV or Ferris ever think of being more proactive in leaving the GLIAC? Not sure about Ferris, but GV seems to have the $ to make things work travel wise if say they wanted to join the GMAC or the GLVC even? Just curious if the fanbase thinks they should be proactive in leaving a possible sinking ship rather than standing pat and be left holding the bag if it doesn't work out?
              GMAC wouldn't happen. But the GLVC notion is kinda interesting. Question is whether they'd want us or not. The fit in a lot of ways is actually pretty good.

              My fear is we would move up before we move laterally. I don't like it (as I have posted out here ad nauseum), but it may be what has to happen.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

                GMAC wouldn't happen. But the GLVC notion is kinda interesting. Question is whether they'd want us or not. The fit in a lot of ways is actually pretty good.

                My fear is we would move up before we move laterally. I don't like it (as I have posted out here ad nauseum), but it may be what has to happen.
                Would be a shame if they are forced to move up. Big blow to the D2 world if it comes to that. Would Ferris probably do the same? Do you feel that GV is attached at the hip decision wise with any of the other Michigan schools that could be stranded?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

                  Would be a shame if they are forced to move up. Big blow to the D2 world if it comes to that. Would Ferris probably do the same? Do you feel that GV is attached at the hip decision wise with any of the other Michigan schools that could be stranded?

                  I don't know any more than the next guy, but if I had to take stab at it I would submit that it's more than likely Lone Ranger time. I could see a scenario where Wayne could make the move if they wanted. I would consider the premise of any other GLIAC school doing it to be highly unlikely...

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post


                    I don't know any more than the next guy, but if I had to take stab at it I would submit that it's more than likely Lone Ranger time. I could see a scenario where Wayne could make the move if they wanted. I would consider the premise of any other GLIAC school doing it to be highly unlikely...
                    I'm thinking GV moves up sooner than later. Like most here, I'd like em to stay, but if the GLIAC continues with this poor leadership and members leaving, the route to D1 is getting paved more each day. I don't think WSU or FSU need to go along. They may, but I doubt that's a factor.

                    There's been more than enough discussion as to why D2 is still a good fit for GV. Still, some powers that be think bigger is better. And frankly, the average Joe, sadly, typically agrees. And, FWIW, I'm not seeing much from D2 or the GLIAC to inhibit a move up.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Redwing View Post

                      I'm thinking GV moves up sooner than later. Like most here, I'd like em to stay, but if the GLIAC continues with this poor leadership and members leaving, the route to D1 is getting paved more each day. I don't think WSU or FSU need to go along. They may, but I doubt that's a factor.

                      There's been more than enough discussion as to why D2 is still a good fit for GV. Still, some powers that be think bigger is better. And frankly, the average Joe, sadly, typically agrees. And, FWIW, I'm not seeing much from D2 or the GLIAC to inhibit a move up.
                      The move probably would have been made a long time ago if Eastern/Western/Central were down in FCS for football where they probably should be.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

                        GMAC wouldn't happen. But the GLVC notion is kinda interesting. Question is whether they'd want us or not. The fit in a lot of ways is actually pretty good.

                        My fear is we would move up before we move laterally. I don't like it (as I have posted out here ad nauseum), but it may be what has to happen.
                        I don’t think that any of the 9 Missouri-based GLVC schools - the closest of which is still 7h, 15m from GV’s campus by car without stopping (and four of those nine are almost 10 hours away) would have any interest in adding that trip since there’s no real travel partner option other than Lewis, which is still 3 hours away not factoring Chicago traffic.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post

                          I don’t think that any of the 9 Missouri-based GLVC schools - the closest of which is still 7h, 15m from GV’s campus by car without stopping (and four of those nine are almost 10 hours away) would have any interest in adding that trip since there’s no real travel partner option other than Lewis, which is still 3 hours away not factoring Chicago traffic.
                          Well, I would anticipate that if the GLIAC went away, UWP and PNW would join the GLVC, as well, which would expand the footprint a little more in terms of easier travel.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

                            The move probably would have been made a long time ago if Eastern/Western/Central were down in FCS for football where they probably should be.
                            Probably right about that, would at least give us 3 easy road trips right there. Anything FCS in football currently is a trip out of Michigan, at about the distance of a trip to say Northern Michigan. About the only plus with some of those road trips is that you don't have to worry so much about a storm closing down the Mackinaw bridge and being stuck on one side or the other for a trip.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                              Probably right about that, would at least give us 3 easy road trips right there. Anything FCS in football currently is a trip out of Michigan, at about the distance of a trip to say Northern Michigan. About the only plus with some of those road trips is that you don't have to worry so much about a storm closing down the Mackinaw bridge and being stuck on one side or the other for a trip.
                              Yeah, plus some of them would be the equivalent of the old GLIAC. Youngstown would be almost the equivalent of traveling to Mercyhurst. Indiana State and Illinois State would be almost the equivalent of traveling to Indianapolis. Southern Illinois and Evansville aren’t much further. The Dakotas, Iowa, and Missouri would be the really far ones.

                              Comment


                              • Well we all know there is zero leadership in the GLIAC conference office anymore. GVSU is going to be forced to travel regardless of what level of football they play. Current leadership will dictate their fate and take it from there. I could see GVSU in the Ohio Valley FCS and doing just fine. GV has the facilites and the leadership in football to make that happen, the question is will the current admin pull the trigger? I think YES...and soon. JMOAICBW.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X