Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IfYouAintLope View Post

I hate this, sure kearney isn’t Oklahoma City, but it’s way better then some of the speed bump city’s in the conference like Maryville and pittsburg
    right. sorry. i understand what you're saying. im just saying what an 18-year-old recruit would be thinking. believe it or not, i like all the places UCO plays cept hays. god i want to choke slam the guys that shoot that canon.

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
      No PP. Unk UCO lindenwood and nsuball came in together. We all thought it was going to be split into divisions. But then there was tons of posts about not having a real conference champion. Next thing you know. SW and Lincoln get to play football in glvc . Then. Truman bails. Sw follows. And Lincoln is back in .
      So you are saying NSU came to.the conference because there were other crappy teams that they could beat instead.of trying to get better?

I remember them doing a split for a couple of years. I also remember a mediocre ESU team getting a playoff spot because they were the soft side of the schedule.

At that time, I liked the idea of a true conference champ. I was wrong about that because they chose to do it by becoming insular. What I wanted the conference to avoid was a welfare system like the LSC used to have where the South had legit teams, while the north was all garbage.

Comment

Colleges are like mini communities in and of themselves. That's the community you should be selling. Selling kids on local attractions and night life isn't going to get you the kind of players you want, imo. A great relationship with the community and fan base helps, but I really don't think "hey we have an NBA team" is convincing d2 players to choose one school over another.

Maybe that's different at commuter schools like UCO, idk?

Comment

That wasn't a welfare system that was as form or serfdom. We got beat up by schools who had more resources and less travel. The north had more cross over games than south every year. And for nsu being way further north and east it was horrible. It was 18 hours to enmu and 17 to tamuk. Moving into miaa was looking like a more fair and equitable place to house sports. Pitt and moso are closer to nsu than even the other Oklahoma schools are. And uco leaving was shocking to me. They had nearthirty years in the lsc. The other three leaving and heading to gac was the smart for them. Maybe nsu should have joined but we don't do volleyball and have soccer which had no home in the GAC at time If it seemed like I was saying that we joined because of a bunch of easier competition. That wasn't my point. It was just going to be a little more competitive for us with Truman, Lincoln and SW Baptist and a year later they were all gone. I think silo Favors NWMsU and mo west and I think it's neutral on Pitt, emporia. Washburn and hurts the rest of the conf . I think it just beats us down from top to bottom thru season and therefore We are not getting top seeds and are not winning the region. And I believe it hurting all the programs and ckeary only benefitting two and needs to change

Comment

Silo benefits NWMSU and really only them. They have trouble scheduling OOC games without having to pay money or schedule up. Which is why they vote to keep it.

Comment

That wasn't a welfare system that was as form or serfdom. We got beat up by schools who had more resources and less travel. The north had more cross over games than south every year. And for nsu being way further north and east it was horrible. It was 18 hours to enmu and 17 to tamuk. Moving into miaa was looking like a more fair and equitable place to house sports. Pitt and moso are closer to nsu than even the other Oklahoma schools are. And uco leaving was shocking to me. They had nearthirty years in the lsc. The other three leaving and heading to gac was the smart for them. Maybe nsu should have joined but we don't do volleyball and have soccer which had no home in the GAC at time If it seemed like I was saying that we joined because of a bunch of easier competition. That wasn't my point. It was just going to be a little more competitive for us with Truman, Lincoln and SW Baptist and a year later they were all gone. I think silo Favors NWMsU and mo west and I think it's neutral on Pitt, emporia. Washburn and hurts the rest of the conf . I think it just beats us down from top to bottom thru season and therefore We are not getting top seeds and are not winning the region. And I believe it hurting all the programs and ckeary only benefitting two and needs to change
              Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you still seem to be blaming the lack of easy wins for the failures of NSU?

Hays, WU, UNK, MW, UCM, UCO, NW, and ESU have all fielded playoff caliber teams. All were door mats at one time.

What happened in the MIAA will also happen in the GAC. The doormats will either leave or get tired of losing and get better.

Comment

For sure! Silo isn’t keeping the bad teams down, the prospective administrations are. If you want to be competitive in football, find an AD that will give you the money and coach that’s charming enough to get donors and recruit players.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post

You are correct. For the MIAA to get two teams in either ESU or NWMSU needs to win out. There is no way a three loss team should make the playoffs out of this region in the current set up. But a two loss MIAA team should make it.
                  My only question is would UCO losing their last two games help or hurt? The overall SOS would not change but it would improve both teams records against teams above .500
                  No one cares about how many above .500 teams you've beaten in the POs for an MIAA playoff spot. Don't have an inferior record, aka losing 3 games this year, is what is required.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post

No one cares about how many above .500 teams you've beaten in the POs for an MIAA playoff spot. Don't have an inferior record, aka losing 3 games this year, is what is required.
                    It’s one of the criteria’s of emphasis for the playoff committee.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                      Colleges are like mini communities in and of themselves. That's the community you should be selling. Selling kids on local attractions and night life isn't going to get you the kind of players you want, imo. A great relationship with the community and fan base helps, but I really don't think "hey we have an NBA team" is convincing d2 players to choose one school over another.

Maybe that's different at commuter schools like UCO, idk?
                      most definitely. they sell OKC and the surrounding areas because it's all part of OKC really. Edmond has a population of 94k and literally there are no breaks in land the southernmost point of town all the way to Moore which is about 20 miles south. it's a HUGE part of the reason we have a problem putting assess in seats outside of not consistently winning. FAR too much to do at any given time anywhere within 10 miles of "the Rich"
                      i dont honeslty know what else you could sell to an 18year old football player. OU has the football tradition. lOSUr has the town of stillwater and inbreeding and Central has...well the city.

both of my boys liked the feeling of Pitt and Maryville because of the towns kind of made the players out like rock stars. six one way, half dozen the other.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post

It’s one of the criteria’s of emphasis for the playoff committee.
                        The MIAA plays a silo schedule. Anything MIAA is completely subjective. The MIAA has never had a deserving team left out since doing so for that very reason. Yet....

Comment

Silo benefits NWMSU and really only them. They have trouble scheduling OOC games without having to pay money or schedule up. Which is why they vote to keep it.
                          That wasn't just a NW thing. That was a conference thing. The U's were added to assist with the burden of scheduling and financial stability of all sports and the long term viability of the conference.

Comment

I'm sorry, i just i'm confused why silo scheduling benefits NW and no one else? Because they win? I think the whole point of silo scheduling is that everyone plays the same schedule?! Doesn't seem to me like it benefits any one over another. NW's run predates silo-scheduling - some of their hay-day was done playing Abilene Christian week one, TAMK, SVSU, UNO, Mankato. Many years those were the only games they lost. Seems to me like silo-scheduling is catching up to the ol' Bearcats and it's evening the playing field. They've lost more since silo schedule that they did before that...why? Because Pitt, UNK, WU, UCM got sick of it and started putting money behind their programs. It's paying off and we're catching up...

Here's the bad part about silo scheduling: some one is going to get SCREWED. How about as an AD sitting in the MIAA meetings during the drawing and the two teams you don't play are NSU (sorry, NEasterner) and LU...especially if you are a team like MSSU or UCO who is building something and MAY have a chance at the playoffs...or worse...you're one of those teams and you don't play PSU or NW? So you have to call GVSU and Ferris to do either a home and home or pay them to come to your place? In that case, you should've just played PSU and NW cause it wouldn't cost you anything and you could beat them anyway (see UCO this year)...

People don't like hearing this, but i think NW figured it out years ago that the playoffs start in August.

In the last 5 seasons, we have seen 6 different teams make the playoffs: NW (all), ESU (2016), UCM (2016 & 2019) , FHSU (2017 - #1 seed, 2018), WU (2021), and UNK (2021). That's HALF of the league in 5 years. PSU is in this year for number 7, and ESU/NW are probably in as repeats.

I don't think having OOC games gets us more than three like it did last year or in 2016. Especially as long as we are in a 4-league region...

THat's what this thread should be about - what's it gonna take for us the NCAA to get us out of this region-model?

Comment

That is a valid point about the region being to loaded. The GAC elite have become legit programs and with the gliac and miaa this region three strong conf. It has been long established knowledge that the silo was put in place because NW was struggling to schedule ooc games . And I can see that when nsic went silo. But I don't think that would be case today . Glvc gliac and gmac all need games. PP. You are correct they all have fielded po caliber teams. But many started those runs before silo put in place. Washburn,ucm. And emporia started a decadeca go. Ft hays and unk have rose to prominence during silo but at a time when Pitt was not as dominant. But they do deserve the credit It is hard to build support when you get no opportunity to give people victories to show your growth. The Gsc did not have a balanced schedule and rotated schools . Twice that allowed ask tech to avoid playing the trio of delta. Valdosta and una. Both times they went into PO as one loss teams. It isn't perfect but it works. I'm just suggesting one ooc game I've said my peace. As I have for nearly ten years

Comment

Slightly different note. Rumor is upper Iowa is considering move to glvc from nsic
                                Make sense, they already have Men's Soccer which is required in the GLVC. Also the GLVC is down to 13 schools with Bellermine, Lindenwood & So Indiana moving up so I'm sure they want an even number.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X