Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WT New Stadium

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
    The average wouldn't have been that high without those games above 8.5k.
    My point exactly. The average is lower than even the numbers show outside of a handful of games. So why take money away from amenities to add a few seats that for 80% of the games won't be used?

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
      How much is the most recent price tag? I'm assuming the budget will have decreased considerably with a 1/3 of the seating eliminated
      I've heard the budget is $32,500,000. An additional amount of $6,000,000 in improvements/amenities will be financed by luxury boxes, advertising sales, and other revenue sources. This thing will be first class all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
        While the average is within the capacity.
        That is correct. When stadium size algorithms were applied (yes, there is an industry accepted algorithm to make these decisions), WT's sweet spot was right in the 8,000-9,000 range.

Comment

I understand the formulas and algorithm but common sense says that you build for growth. When they build a new school they don't build it already at capacity they build it with the intention more students will move there.

I am glad I am not the guy who has to make these decisions. I am sure the "experts" would say I am wrong but I believe we will be expanding that stadium before the first season is over.
          Last edited by BuffTough; 03-08-2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

My point exactly. The average is lower than even the numbers show outside of a handful of games. So why take money away from amenities to add a few seats that for 80% of the games won't be used?
            Because you build for FULL games within reason! You think the NBA/NFL sells out every stadium seat every game? No they build it for when they have a demand for it.

Comment

Because you build for FULL games within reason! You think the NBA/NFL sells out every stadium seat every game? No they build it for when they have a demand for it.
              You mean like WT did the first time around with Kimbrough? How often, during the 60+ year history of that stadium was there a demand for it's capacity? That includes when they were "Division 1".... Very rarely was the need for "when they have a demand for it" was ever even close to needed.

And a school that is growing rapidly builds a school with a larger capacity because that is what demographer reports show will be needed. Yet, even with exponential growth in the student population, attendance has flatlined around an average of 7,000. So I'm not understanding your argument.

Comment

I understand the formulas and algorithm but common sense says that you build for growth. When they build a new school they don't build it already at capacity they build it with the intention more students will move there.

I am glad I am not the guy who has to make these decisions. I am sure the "experts" would say I am wrong but I believe we will be expanding that stadium before the first season is over.
                Like my grandfather used to tell me (he was small town Oklahoma bank president for 30 years): "John Thomas, always remember, it takes money to buy whiskey."

Comment

Originally posted by wt_alum08 View Post
                  how the hell did that reporter hide behind that sign, lol. I've watched it like 100 times.....
                  photoshop !!

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                    You are right. Last year the team had the worst record since Ronnie Jones was the coach, there is no question that it affected attendance. However, I think Hughes is a good hire and the team will improve rapidly.

The last year we had a good football team was 2013 - Nesbitt's "caretaker" year. We had 3 home games where attendance was over 11K, including homecoming, which was almost 14K.

When asking the students to vote for the new stadium, the administration pointed out it was to offer more than saving the students a painful 5 minute drive 5 times a year. "Other proposed uses include outdoor commencement ceremonies each May (one commencement instead of three), outdoor concerts, Buff Branding activities and midnight pep rallies." Now the famed concerts and pep rallies, will be much more limited; the full student body can't even go. http://www.wtamu.edu/about/student-s...m-and-faq.aspx

I thought Dr Wendler did the right thing by rechecking the facts and figures. Yes the new stadium will cost no more than renovating Kimbrough they said - but they didn't mention it would be less than half the size. The new location seems better and supposedly saved money, but the train has gone off the track anyway. I wonder how many students would have voted for a such a small stadium? The referendum barely passed as it was.
                    Outdoor commencement LOL good look in the West Texas Wind Hats and captain will be flying everywhere !

Comment

• Re: WT New Stadium

I am meeting with some friends this weekend and they said I can see some updated information. Will leave my opinion about what I can.

Comment

I am meeting with some friends this weekend and they said I can see some updated information. Will leave my opinion about what I can.
                        Ah springtime, when the male buffalo begin sparring and trying to secure their territory among the herd.

Comment

You mean like WT did the first time around with Kimbrough? How often, during the 60+ year history of that stadium was there a demand for it's capacity? That includes when they were "Division 1".... Very rarely was the need for "when they have a demand for it" was ever even close to needed.

And a school that is growing rapidly builds a school with a larger capacity because that is what demographer reports show will be needed. Yet, even with exponential growth in the student population, attendance has flatlined around an average of 7,000. So I'm not understanding your argument.
                          I don't think anyone is saying WT needs a 20k seat stadium. We all understand that is to big. You build above projected attendance to account for growth and big games/events. This is how every other sports program works. Do the Knicks sell out MSG every night? No but they have the capacity when it is needed. Take the Jaguars for example. Haven't sold out a game since 2005, actually about 8k seats below capacity until this season. But when the seats where needed they had them for the playoffs. They are on pace to sell out all their games this season. Did the Jaguars build 50% above projections? No they did it within reason.

I am curious to see in the past 15 years how many times during winning seasons the Buffs have attendance over 8k. Actually I am curious to know how many times in the history of the stadium they have had over 8k.

And the flatline comment is flat out wrong. Yes in the past few years attendance is way down. But when WT was winning they had season averages above 8k. 2009-2013 for sure. (Didn't have time to find records further back) So unless your planning on WT losing forever this stadium is to small.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
                            I don't think anyone is saying WT needs a 20k seat stadium. We all understand that is to big. You build above projected attendance to account for growth and big games/events. This is how every other sports program works. Do the Knicks sell out MSG every night? No but they have the capacity when it is needed. Take the Jaguars for example. Haven't sold out a game since 2005, actually about 8k seats below capacity until this season. But when the seats where needed they had them for the playoffs. They are on pace to sell out all their games this season. Did the Jaguars build 50% above projections? No they did it within reason.

I am curious to see in the past 15 years how many times during winning seasons the Buffs have attendance over 8k. Actually I am curious to know how many times in the history of the stadium they have had over 8k.

And the flatline comment is flat out wrong. Yes in the past few years attendance is way down. But when WT was winning they had season averages above 8k. 2009-2013 for sure. (Didn't have time to find records further back) So unless your planning on WT losing forever this stadium is to small.
                            Last edited by BuffaloChip; 03-08-2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I am willing to bet it sells out at least 50% of the games it's first season if not more. And by the next season Hughes should be on a roll.

Comment

The packers do!
                                I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X