Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WT football

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
    Maybe the new OC can do something with Hood, who does have a pretty good arm. He just would panic when his primary receiver was covered. I grew to appreciate Houghtaling, as I think he has some leadership skills, and keeps his cool. He just doesn't have a great arm nor the speed to make many good runs. He did get the job done against CWU and Angelo last year, which I thought were our 2 best wins.

Hood.
    I'm putting my money on Nick Gerber.

I have nothing current to base that on. Nothing related to on-the-field-performance in spring practice type of thing. However, based on Gerber's HS experience, the 9 games he played on the JUCO level, and his 1 year tutelage under Kingsbury, I have a feeling, if all things are equal, that having him as a 3 year starter will tilt the decision his way. I think a QB's ability to scramble when needed and his ability to run play-action is going to be critical in Jake Brown's offense. Neither Houghtaling nor Hood can scramble or run. If they go with Houghtaling or Hood, what's the purpose of putting in a new offense? You're handcuffing yourself before you even come off of the sidelines. Gerber is definitely more mobile than Houghtaling or Hood. He's no Kyler Murray, but he's not a corpse like Houghtaling or Hood.

Did anyone make it to practice this afternoon?
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
      I'm putting my money on Nick Gerber.

I have nothing current to base that on. Nothing related to on-the-field-performance in spring practice type of thing. However, based on Gerber's HS experience, the 9 games he played on the JUCO level, and his 1 year tutelage under Kingsbury, I have a feeling, if all things are equal, that having him as a 3 year starter will tilt the decision his way. I think a QB's ability to scramble when needed and his ability to run play-action is going to be critical in Jake Brown's offense. Neither Houghtaling nor Hood can scramble or run. If they go with Houghtaling or Hood, what's the purpose of putting in a new offense? You're handcuffing yourself before you even come off of the sidelines. Gerber is definitely more mobile than Houghtaling or Hood. He's no Kyler Murray, but he's not a corpse like Houghtaling or Hood.

Did anyone make it to practice this afternoon?
      I went out this afternoon and watched for a bit. I tried to just watch the offense for the most part. Just from observation, without counting, there are quite a few more offensive players than defensive players currently. That surprised me a bit. Gerber would seem to be the most consistent of the 4 QBs from what I watched. He doesn't have quite the zip on the ball that the others do. He looks pretty small compared to the other 3, but they are all 6'5", so idk how tall he actually is. One of the transfer OL was running 2nd team and the other Ederson was walking with the injured players I think. It appears the Buckmaster kid is not on the team for sure. I say all that because it seems like it will be a lot of the same faces on the O line. Duke was suited out and practicing but had the yellow QB jersey on. Vallo wasn't suited out and was walking with the injured players. I'll have to catch a couple more to really get an opinion. I had to leave before they ran any live O vs D.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
        I went out this afternoon and watched for a bit. I tried to just watch the offense for the most part. Just from observation, without counting, there are quite a few more offensive players than defensive players currently. That surprised me a bit. Gerber would seem to be the most consistent of the 4 QBs from what I watched. He doesn't have quite the zip on the ball that the others do. He looks pretty small compared to the other 3, but they are all 6'5", so idk how tall he actually is. One of the transfer OL was running 2nd team and the other Ederson was walking with the injured players I think. It appears the Buckmaster kid is not on the team for sure. I say all that because it seems like it will be a lot of the same faces on the O line. Duke was suited out and practicing but had the yellow QB jersey on. Vallo wasn't suited out and was walking with the injured players. I'll have to catch a couple more to really get an opinion. I had to leave before they ran any live O vs D.
        Thanks for the report! Gerber is 6'1". Here's the rest of his story. https://texastech.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5509

Comment

Looks like they've added another DL for the Fall. I'm glad to see this because they haven't had good depth there in a few years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SDmesafoo...84078366728192

Comment

Looks like they've added another DL for the Fall. I'm glad to see this because they haven't had good depth there in a few years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SDmesafoo...84078366728192

I went and watched his hudl video. He looks like an immediate contributor. 6'3, 240. A good edge guy. Was very productive at San Diego Mesa College.

Comment

I went and watched his hudl video. He looks like an immediate contributor. 6'3, 240. A good edge guy. Was very productive at San Diego Mesa College.
              I agree, I think he will come in and play right away. The other transfer DL from Blinn is already with the team this spring. If they can get at least 7 or 8 deep without a drop off I think the D can get to a different level.

Comment

I agree, I think he will come in and play right away. The other transfer DL from Blinn is already with the team this spring. If they can get at least 7 or 8 deep without a drop off I think the D can get to a different level.
                His twitter mentioned a Tennessee Tech offer.

Comment

His twitter mentioned a Tennessee Tech offer.
                  FCS school? I don't know much about them

Comment

I saw the announcement today on GoBuffsGo that WT will outfit it's entire team with the new Vicis Zero1 deformable, morphable helmet. NFL tests call it the safest helmet available today. I don't know what this is costing, but the cost of the helmet is $950. Even if WT got a deal, say $800 each, the investment in headgear would be at least $100,000.

Vicis has a good short video if you google it.

Thanks WT administration for doing this for our young men!

Comment

I saw the announcement today on GoBuffsGo that WT will outfit it's entire team with the new Vicis Zero1 deformable, morphable helmet. NFL tests call it the safest helmet available today. I don't know what this is costing, but the cost of the helmet is $950. Even if WT got a deal, say $800 each, the investment in headgear would be at least $100,000.

Vicis has a good short video if you google it.

Thanks WT administration for doing this for our young men!
                      I hope they ditch the white and go back to the more recent maroon with these

Comment

Anyone make it to the spring game? I was working and couldn't make it

Comment

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
                          Anyone make it to the spring game? I was working and couldn't make it
                          I was laid up and couldn't make it.

Comment

82 reported for spring camp, so numbers are up again. I hope to make it out there this weekend
                            Hopefully the majority return for fall practice in August & with the incoming freshman & transfers, the squad should be around 100+. The future is looking good for the Buffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
                              Hopefully the majority return for fall practice in August & with the incoming freshman & transfers, the squad should be around 100+. The future is looking good for the Buffs.
                              How so? Elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                                How so? Elaborate.
                                Because looking in the rear view mirror sucks.
                                Last edited by BuffaloChip; 04-14-2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X