Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Well....back in mid 2000's it was all about passing! You did not need a dominant OL. More relied on skilled positions. Still do for some programs.

Majority of schools were after top skill.players and didn't offer much to OL or DL. That recruiting trend has changed for SOME programs. Others will catch up. Eventually.
    Are you talking about the lsc or top teams nationally?

I ask because the Elite teams in D2 have always been great up front. The trend in that time period was offense heavy, but it still started with great OL. I have no idea if that showed up in scholarship dollars, but the teams with a real shot at the NC have almost always been great up front. The high flying GV, NW, and Even the skill heavy blazers Pitt faced in the 04 NC game were really loaded up front.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Are you talking about the lsc or top teams nationally?

I ask because the Elite teams in D2 have always been great up front. The trend in that time period was offense heavy, but it still started with great OL. I have no idea if that showed up in scholarship dollars, but the teams with a real shot at the NC have almost always been great up front. The high flying GV, NW, and Even the skill heavy blazers Pitt faced in the 04 NC game were really loaded up front.
      I am speaking more so about LSC, but many other D2 conferences as well. You are correct, team's like Coach T' s NW always won in the trenches.

I believe if you think back to when Oregon had their high flying offense and Texas Tech with theirs, DIIvstarted following that trend....pass first type offenses.

OL were all about pass protection and DL was all about pass rush. Neither emphasized run or run stop in the trenches. Now times are changing, albeit, even the NFL is not about strong running. Hence why the once coveted RB position is meh nowadays.

Comment

I am speaking more so about LSC, but many other D2 conferences as well. You are correct, team's like Coach T' s NW always won in the trenches.

I believe if you think back to when Oregon had their high flying offense and Texas Tech with theirs, DIIvstarted following that trend....pass first type offenses.

OL were all about pass protection and DL was all about pass rush. Neither emphasized run or run stop in the trenches. Now times are changing, albeit, even the NFL is not about strong running. Hence why the once coveted RB position is meh nowadays.
        Yeah it's pretty pass happy. NW and GV were too back then. They looked like finesse offenses, but they would still just physically beat the pee out of you up front while throwing it all over the field.

I actually remember calling NW a finesse team in the 90s. A couple of years later, they were good enough in the trenches to start beating and dominating the best power teams in the country.

The difference between Pitt and Ferris last year was in the trenches. Partly because of injuries, but mostly because Pitt just wasn't quite there up front yet.

Comment

Well....back in mid 2000's it was all about passing! You did not need a dominant OL. More relied on skilled positions. Still do for some programs.

Majority of schools were after top skill.players and didn't offer much to OL or DL. That recruiting trend has changed for SOME programs. Others will catch up. Eventually.
          I remember WT getting exposed in those playoff games when they focused on skill players.

Once the DL got their pressure a lot of big plays were called back for holding or the WT QB would take a sack.

One of their playoff games against Ashland they ignored the run most of the game because Ashland's DL run defense was so dominant.

That was even with Khiry Robinson in the backfield but luckily their QB choked and won the game up there.

Back in topic I would love to see a balanced attack and some great line play.

Comment

• WT got another commit. Jesse Ah-Chee, 6'3 325 OL Center, NM Military.

I watched his videos. He's a big boy in the middle of the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I remember WT getting exposed in those playoff games when they focused on skill players.

Once the DL got their pressure a lot of big plays were called back for holding or the WT QB would take a sack.

One of their playoff games against Ashland they ignored the run most of the game because Ashland's DL run defense was so dominant.

That was even with Khiry Robinson in the backfield but luckily their QB choked and won the game up there.

I remember.

During thst time period, D1's were doing the same thing. I wonder how many HOF OL came from those years. It will interesting to see.

Comment

• I remember Pitt going up there with a pretty bad defense by their standards in 05. I was watching that game thinking WT might have had the worst OL they had seen all year. They spent all their money on magic beans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                  I remember Pitt going up there with a pretty bad defense by their standards in 05. I was watching that game thinking WT might have had the worst OL they had seen all year. They spent all their money on magic beans.
                  Hardly magic beans. That WT team won one game in 04. They ran out of gas. No depth on the roster. It took 6 years to build depth.

Comment

• Picked up another DL.
                    UNK transfer Grayson Blackman 5’11 285
                    He had 9 offers. UTPB SEOSU among others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred View Post
                      Picked up another DL.
                      UNK transfer Grayson Blackman 5’11 285
                      He had 9 offers. UTPB SEOSU among others.
                      The WT mascot for 2023 are the Buffalopers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffs of Uranus View Post

The WT mascot for 2023 are the Buffalopers.
                        Blackmon was a reserve last year. Two years left. More depth at a position where you can never have too much depth.
                        Last edited by BuffaloChip; 07-11-2023, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Blackmon was a reserve last year. Two years left. More depth at a position where you can never have too much depth.
                          I love the moves coach Lynn is making. Can the rest of the lsc handle the combined force of a Buffaloper!

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffs of Uranus View Post

I love the moves coach Lynn is making. Can the rest of the lsc handle the combined force of a Buffaloper!
                            😂😂😂

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Against a good opponent, Hughes never won.
                              Fixed it for you! ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I would give WT’s defense some credit for that win. The Ashland QB had not thrown a pick all year but we got 2. Even so Ashland came close to pulling it out at the end.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X