Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well over 300 WT football fans paid $100 each for last night's pre-season football roll-out. It was a good night. Good food (the prime rib was delicious and the blueberry cream cake was scrumptious)), an open bar, and good repartee between coaches, players, and boosters.

Coach Lynn was really working the floor. It was something that Hughes never would or could have done. The way Lynn was greeting boosters reminded me of the way Carthel interacted with people. Lynn is very genuine and down to earth. A West Texas kind of guy.

DC Levi Gallas impressive, too.

These guys know how to do it. I believe the football program will soon follow WT's other sports' success.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
      Well over 300 WT football fans paid $100 each for last night's pre-season football roll-out. It was a good night. Good food (the prime rib was delicious and the blueberry cream cake was scrumptious)), an open bar, and good repartee between coaches, players, and boosters.

Coach Lynn was really working the floor. It was something that Hughes never would or could have done. The way Lynn was greeting boosters reminded me of the way Carthel interacted with people. Lynn is very genuine and down to earth. A West Texas kind of guy.

DC Levi Gallas impressive, too.

These guys know how to do it. I believe the football program will soon follow WT's other sports' success.
      You are either head coaching material or you aren't. Hughes isn't. Carthel is. Lynn is.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

You are either head coaching material or you aren't. Hughes isn't. Carthel is. Lynn is.
        There are three types of successful HCs: (1) "Used Car Salesmen" who recruit top talent that makes them look good; (2) ones that are great coaches that can win with fair and up talent; (3) Good coaches who recruit good players.

The consistent winning HCs are #2, but they are few and far between.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

There are three types of successful HCs: (1) "Used Car Salesmen" who recruit top talent that makes them look good; (2) ones that are great coaches that can win with fair and up talent; (3) Good coaches who recruit good players.

The consistent winning HCs are #2, but they are few and far between.
          I'm hoping Lynn will be a blend of #2 and #3. He for sure isn't a #1.

The completion of the football offices/locker room/training facility/weight room/meeting and film rooms is coming along nicely. Once finished, WT will have by far the best football-based facility and stadium in the D2 world. All we need now is someone to come up with $30M to build a Washburn-like indoor practice place. Let me see if I can squeeze that into my 2025 budget.

Comment

• We have a friend whose kid reported yesterday. He said the team is huge. A lot bigger than the last couple of years.

Comment

I'm hoping Lynn will be a blend of #2 and #3. He for sure isn't a #1.

The completion of the football offices/locker room/training facility/weight room/meeting and film rooms is coming along nicely. Once finished, WT will have by far the best football-based facility and stadium in the D2 world. All we need now is someone to come up with $30M to build a Washburn-like indoor practice place. Let me see if I can squeeze that into my 2025 budget.
              So, it sounds like you are expecting a championship football program now at WT. Something it has never had in it's history. Interesting.

Have you seen many football facilities? There are some really nice ones out there.

Do you have any renderings and timeline for these new WT football facilities?

Comment

So, it sounds like you are expecting a championship football program now at WT. Something it has never had in its history. Interesting.

Have you seen many football facilities? There are some really nice ones out there.

I expect we finally have a fighting chance to be a playoff caliber program in the next couple years. Lynn has not been bashful pronouncing his goal is to have WT be a perennial top 10 program. That would have been impossible at Kearney. Possible in Canyon.

If you'll google Bain Athletic Center info on the current facility and the undergoing addition.
                Last edited by BuffaloChip; 08-06-2023, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I expect we finally have a fighting chance to be a playoff caliber program in the next couple years. Lynn has not been bashful pronouncing his goal is to have WT be a perennial top 10 program. That would have been impossible at Kearney. Possible in Canyon.

If you'll google Bain Athletic Center info on the current facility and the undergoing addition.
                  I think you have good reason to be optimistic. Lynn seems to be doing what is necessary to succeed, and plus he's won at two places already and one of those places was in the LSC. Seems like he's already got Hughes beat and he hasn't coached a game yet.

Looking forward to the Wagon Wheel Game against his old OC,

Comment

• Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

I think you have good reason to be optimistic. Lynn seems to be doing what is necessary to succeed, and plus he's won at two places already and one of those places was in the LSC. Seems like he's already got Hughes beat and he hasn't coached a game yet.

Looking forward to the Wagon Wheel Game against his old OC,
                    To be fair the bar was not only set low but in the negative losing to ENMU and Simon Fraser the last two games.

I think some of the poorer 2A coaches around the panhandle could have game planned better for those last two games.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Yeah I felt bad for Hughes.

Just when you thought he was going to turn the corner the team would regress.

I hope he gets a second chance somewhere else.

Its still frustrating to me that it took a blowout Simon Fraser loss to get him out.

I still believe 100% he would have still been the head coach with a 1 point overtime win.

Comment

So, it sounds like you are expecting a championship football program now at WT. Something it has never had in it's history. Interesting.

Have you ever heard a head coach his first year tell the fans and alumni base "my goal is to just keep the program above water, graduate kids, and just play average football during my tenure"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Have you ever heard a head coach his first year tell the fans and alumni base "my goal is to just keep the program above water, graduate kids, and just play average football during my tenure"?

Sure. But, when you hear it from Lynn, you believe it. He doesn't hype it. He says it matter-of-factly. The confidence is solid. You'd have to meet the guy to understand what I'm saying.

It's going to certainly be an interesting 2023 for Buff FB fans. Hopefully, an exciting season coming off of the Hughes era. A winning year would be a good season 1.

Comment

To be fair the bar was not only set low but in the negative losing to ENMU and Simon Fraser the last two games.

I think some of the poorer 2A coaches around the panhandle could have game planned better for those last two games.
                            I don't think it was the game plan. I gather Hughes turned against the team and the team responded by turning against him. He lost the team's respect. A failure of leadership.

Comment

Yeah I felt bad for Hughes.

Just when you thought he was going to turn the corner the team would regress.

I hope he gets a second chance somewhere else.

Its still frustrating to me that it took a blowout Simon Fraser loss to get him out.

I still believe 100% he would have still been the head coach with a 1 point overtime win.
                              I think Hughes could probably be a decent coordinator, but I don't think he should ever be a head coach again. Is he a good person? I think so.

I think if the Simon Fraser game had been a close loss he would still be coaching at WT. Instead it was a train wreck. The team quit on him and the equipment managers sent the wrong jerseys causing WT to be penalized at the start of each half. Hughes was let go at least a year too late.

The AD is more interested in the Whatchamacallit award than the football team. Maybe he can add lacrosse and mud wrestling and get some extra points for those sports.

Comment

• https://www.presspass.news/west-texa...football-camp/

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X