Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I went to WT practice today. It looked well organized, fast, and intense. The team was energized. As you'd expect them to be on Day 2.

I spent a lot of time watching Lynn work with the OL. He's passionate about the position. I was impressed with the degree of effort the big boys were putting into it. Several times he praised the transfer from ACU and one of the freshmen. I watched the OL go thru at least a dozen drills. I believe OL may be a strength of this team. Several times Lynn said "we don't have room for slow linemen."

We have some speedsters on offense, both at RB and WR. And some pretty good hands catching the ball.

At the end of practice, 12 on 12, there were at least 2 passes for every run. There were 9 QBs in yellow jerseys. I didn't ask about who was who except for Brown and Eget. Spring returner Kyle Brown looked good. However, I was more impressed with the NM State transfer, Weston Eget (eeget). He has a lot of arm. Made some good reads and throws. I was up close to the huddle. I liked his leadership and the way other players reacted to him. He was pumped and enthusiastic.

We've got a couple little guys, you know, the 5'9 180 pounder RB's that can flat out move. WRs were making some nice snatches, several long balls were caught.

Next practice I go to, I'll pay more attention to the D. The secondary looks like they were getting a lot of coaching. They did better during the latter part of the 12 on 12 than early on.

Comparing Lynn's practices to Hughes: it seemed that Lynn and staff were fitting in a lot more drills with each position group. Teaching a lot of fundamentals and techniques. It's not that Hughes' practices were slow, it's that today's practice was at a very brisk pace.

I'm planning on making it to a couple workouts each week.

The transfer kicker from Western Missouri (DFW kid) was booming kickoffs. I chased down a couple balls he kicked out of the field. Pretty good sized kid. I took him for 6'2 and 220. Talked with him. A very nice young man. He's majoring in criminology. Wants to be an FBI agent.
    Sorry, I have to ask. 12 on 12?

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

It was more a sarcastic comment than a question.

Even the next head coaching hire at Simon Fraser (if they still had a program) would "promise" improvements with a more competitive team and playoffs in a few years.
      That's why majority of HC DON'T win natty's. You can't BS your way to be a powerhouse program.

And also to be honest, how many programs that reach top 10 remain there? It's usually a one off or maybe they are a powerhouse within a decade. But what goes up must come down.

Comment

I would whole-heartedly agree. Lynn has turned difficult situations into winning programs. Let's be brutally honest here. Portales, NM is not Stephenville (then LSC) or Wichita Falls or Amarillo/Canyon. I've never been to Kearney, but I imagine it had its location challenges as well.

At WT, Lynn will have premier facilities and full funding. All the tools are in place. Amarillo/Canyon is not DFW or Austin. But, it's not Portales, NM either.
        So now WT is fully funded. I know a few months back it was stated that WT was not fully funded. So that's a HUGE plus in the LSC and DII as a whole.

Comment

I went to WT practice today. It looked well organized, fast, and intense. The team was energized. As you'd expect them to be on Day 2.

I spent a lot of time watching Lynn work with the OL. He's passionate about the position. I was impressed with the degree of effort the big boys were putting into it. Several times he praised the transfer from ACU and one of the freshmen. I watched the OL go thru at least a dozen drills. I believe OL may be a strength of this team. Several times Lynn said "we don't have room for slow linemen."

We have some speedsters on offense, both at RB and WR. And some pretty good hands catching the ball.

At the end of practice, 12 on 12, there were at least 2 passes for every run. There were 9 QBs in yellow jerseys. I didn't ask about who was who except for Brown and Eget. Spring returner Kyle Brown looked good. However, I was more impressed with the NM State transfer, Weston Eget (eeget). He has a lot of arm. Made some good reads and throws. I was up close to the huddle. I liked his leadership and the way other players reacted to him. He was pumped and enthusiastic.

We've got a couple little guys, you know, the 5'9 180 pounder RB's that can flat out move. WRs were making some nice snatches, several long balls were caught.

Next practice I go to, I'll pay more attention to the D. The secondary looks like they were getting a lot of coaching. They did better during the latter part of the 12 on 12 than early on.

Comparing Lynn's practices to Hughes: it seemed that Lynn and staff were fitting in a lot more drills with each position group. Teaching a lot of fundamentals and techniques. It's not that Hughes' practices were slow, it's that today's practice was at a very brisk pace.

I'm planning on making it to a couple workouts each week.

The transfer kicker from Western Missouri (DFW kid) was booming kickoffs. I chased down a couple balls he kicked out of the field. Pretty good sized kid. I took him for 6'2 and 220. Talked with him. A very nice young man. He's majoring in criminology. Wants to be an FBI agent.
          I believe you meant 11 on 11.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

No, it's a new wrinkle in WT football. If you can't beat with 11, try it with 12.

Comment

• Originally posted by UTPBFalcons1 View Post

Sorry, I have to ask. 12 on 12?
              hahaha. brain fart

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

They are getting ready for a rematch with SFU when SF switches back to Canadian rules.

Comment

No, it's a new wrinkle in WT football. If you can't beat with 11, try it with 12.
                  🤣🤣

Comment

It's worth a shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

They are getting ready for a rematch with SFU when SF switches back to Canadian rules.
                      Does WT have anyone who can take advantage of the running start they have for WR’s in Canada?

Comment

Well. Its 50/50 if LSC officials catch it even with replay.

Comment

• You should listen to McBrooms interview on PressPass sports. Talks WT NIL, Moving Divisions (seems more open to the idea) and Funding. Pretty good listen.... seems the atmosphere around the program is much healthier.

Comment

• Lynn's unk teams were kind of built to be solid each year, and really dangerous in years where they found a special player or 2.

I think that is partly a function of the offense they ran.

It will be fun to see if thatilevel of success is the mold he stays with, or if he'll be able to take that next step and be dangerous every season.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
                              You should listen to McBrooms interview on PressPass sports. Talks WT NIL, Moving Divisions (seems more open to the idea) and Funding. Pretty good listen.... seems the atmosphere around the program is much healthier.
                              Moving divisions Like D1 or D2 or D2 to D3? If you listen to McBroom and Wendler on youtube interviews you could offer WT a multi million dollar ESPN deal to move to the southland and they would politely say no thanks we are good with road trips to Alpine.

I said on other threads McBroom could change his tune when Wendler retires and if the next university president is more bullish on football.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                                Lynn's unk teams were kind of built to be solid each year, and really dangerous in years where they found a special player or 2.

I think that is partly a function of the offense they ran.

It will be fun to see if thatilevel of success is the mold he stays with, or if he'll be able to take that next step and be dangerous every season.
                                Well this will play well for a few years when WT actually sniffs the playoffs again and then fans will want more.

That being said we are closing in on a generation gap between the "glory days" so the expectations of the WT d2 football fanbase as a whole might be drastically different between the college students and the alumni boomers.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X