Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UST

Someone on the D3 board suggested the ARC (formerly IIAC).

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Comment

St. Thomas would destroy that conference

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
          Naw. UST doesn't fit with those schools at all. Same with the UMAC, who would never invite them. UST would dominate those conferences much more than they do the MIAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
            You are correct. Travel will always be the BIGGEST problem at any level below D-I. Trips like Minot to UIU, or vice versa :smile-big:, is a prime NSIC example. I attended a BHSU @ Dixie State a season or two ago. That's a prime example in the RMAC, imo. Very tough on the players.
            Definitely. Expenses are high and getting higher; extensive travel exacerbates the situation. And the time away from home for the student-athletes in all sports.

Comment

Okay so let's just play devil's advocate here for a minute. UST gets booted...they don't get offered by any other D3 conferences. They get offered by NSIC and jump up, but Augie has not officially left yet and does not seem to have an offer from a D1 conference as of yet that is public knowledge.
              Does the NSIC work with 17 teams for a few seasons? Possibly a long while. I don't see it working football wise. I see the beginning of a rift to the NSIC beginning quickly. I could also see the NSIC holding on for dear life trying to adjust to allow for 17 teams in the conference until UST and Augie move to D1 together in 8 years.
              Just playing devil's advocate

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                UST gets booted...they don't get offered by any other D3 conferences. They get offered by NSIC and jump up, but Augie has not officially left yet and does not seem to have an offer from a D1 conference as of yet that is public knowledge.
                I can't think of a D3 conference that would take UST. They don't fit the footprint of the WIAC as a private school.

Augie will be in the NSIC for at least next year- and UST will be MIAC at least that long.

If you hear that Purdue-Ft Wayne is leaving the Summit for the Horizon a la IUPUI, then look for Augie to announce. But not until then.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                  I can't think of a D3 conference that would take UST. They don't fit the footprint of the WIAC as a private school.

Augie will be in the NSIC for at least next year- and UST will be MIAC at least that long.

If you hear that Purdue-Ft Wayne is leaving the Summit for the Horizon a la IUPUI, then look for Augie to announce. But not until then.
                  My thoughts exactly, though my main concern is that Augie doesn't get moved up but the NSIC adds UST anyway. That's 17 teams in an already bloated conference

Comment

My thoughts exactly, though my main concern is that Augie doesn't get moved up but the NSIC adds UST anyway. That's 17 teams in an already bloated conference
                    The NSIC is under no obligation to take UST so I wouldn't worry. It'll be sweet sixteen for awhile. I think that the NSIC powers that be have contingency plans- they've already talked about how they would run football with 15 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                      The NSIC is under no obligation to take UST so I wouldn't worry. It'll be sweet sixteen for awhile. I think that the NSIC powers that be have contingency plans- they've already talked about how they would run football with 15 teams.
                      I think UST would be offered immediately, and I think they should be as it actually brings in a market that CSP should be tapping for us but does not. NSIC would actually get publicity for a while

Comment

It would also be an interesting experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          It would also be an interesting experiment.
                          To see how a 17 team conference works?

Comment

Okay so let's just play devil's advocate here for a minute. UST gets booted...they don't get offered by any other D3 conferences. They get offered by NSIC and jump up, but Augie has not officially left yet and does not seem to have an offer from a D1 conference as of yet that is public knowledge.
                            Does the NSIC work with 17 teams for a few seasons? Possibly a long while. I don't see it working football wise. I see the beginning of a rift to the NSIC beginning quickly. I could also see the NSIC holding on for dear life trying to adjust to allow for 17 teams in the conference until UST and Augie move to D1 together in 8 years.
                            Just playing devil's advocate
                            The Augie situation is strange. It's like they told the conference they are breaking up, but not until they find someone new.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Comment

I know some people feel strongly about the no conference games, but, had the closest D2 conferences had smaller league sizes with nonconference games, St. Thomas might've been able to get away with being a D2 Independent. But I don't know if they'd find enough games between the RMAC, GLIAC and GLVC to fill their schedule....

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                                I know some people feel strongly about the no conference games, but, had the closest D2 conferences had smaller league sizes with nonconference games, St. Thomas might've been able to get away with being a D2 Independent. But I don't know if they'd find enough games between the RMAC, GLIAC and GLVC to fill their schedule....
                                Maybe this will be the tipping point in the upper Midwest that spoits conferences...unless UST makes it very clear they are on their way to D1 asap, then the NSIC may hold on

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X