Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UST

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    As they should. St Thomas has all of the resources of a D1 school if that's what they want. They're far more equipped financially and geographically than Augustana.
    What is their athletic budget?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
      If they join the NSIC, the NSIC should be prepared to have them for exactly 5 years before they wave goodbye to D2
      This may not be allowed due to NCAA rules so I may very well be blowing smoke, but I would suspect that the NSIC would only consider/accept UST with a contractual agreement that states that UST must remain in the NSIC for "X" number of the years before making a move to D1 or have to pay a pretty massive buyout. This would not only save the NSIC the headache of bringing in a new school only to have them leave ASAP, but also give the current members some peace of mind when voting them in to the conference.

Comment

What would happen to St. Thomas' hockey program if they were to move up to D2, WCHA? This could be a good opportunity for the NSIC as St. Thomas would be a good fit even if it is only for 5 years. This would allow some of the other schools we have all been discussing some more time to improve their programs and facilities with a possible transition to D2 in 2026 or so. I'm thinking Jamestown, Dakota St, Dakota Wesleyan, Grandview, etc. Maybe in 5 more years it would give Morningside a chance to reconsider a move. My point is, who knows where the conference will be in 7 years and St. Thomas would at least be an interesting and competitive interim choice.
        Last edited by Thunder; 05-22-2019, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Well, welcome to either the WIAC or NSIC! If they do move up, interested to see what they do about an arena for D1 Hockey. I'm learning all about a bunch of now-converted small arenas that we historically used to have. Though Warner Coliseum would be a decent fit if they can refit it for hockey. Also, TIL the Airport used to be a speedway.

Comment

Oh, and there can be contracts for lengths of time spent in a conference. The American made recently made a TV agreement with ESPN. And they took a slight paycut of what they might have gotten for not having the teams be contractually obligated to remain in the conference over that period of time. Of course, contracts always have buyouts so its just a matter of would UST pay it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
              What would happen to St. Thomas' hockey program if they were to move up to D2 (even with the intent of continuing the move up to D1)? This could be a good opportunity for the NSIC as St. Thomas would be a good fit even if it is only for 5 years. This would allow some of the other schools we have all been discussing some more time to improve their programs and facilities with a possible transition to D2 in 2026 or so. I'm thinking Jamestown, Dakota St, Dakota Wesleyan, Grandview, etc. Maybe in 5 more years it would give Morningside a chance to reconsider a move. My point is, who knows where the conference will be in 7 years and St. Thomas would at least be an interesting and competitive interim choice.
              I think I can answer the hockey part but wont because I am no expert on that "sport", haha.

I agree with all you said, on top of all of that, as with Augie, everyone said they need a conference invite. Who is inviting St. Thomas? Doesn't really seem like a fit for Summit/MVFC but boy, the boards have never been so active into the summer months!

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                I think I can answer the hockey part but wont because I am no expert on that "sport", haha.

I agree with all you said, on top of all of that, as with Augie, everyone said they need a conference invite. Who is inviting St. Thomas? Doesn't really seem like a fit for Summit/MVFC but boy, the boards have never been so active into the summer months!
                Would there be any possibility of them stay non-scholarship in football through D2 with an eye to moving into the Pioneer League at D1? I think the Summit would jump at the chance to add St. Thomas.

Comment

No one associated with the NSIC should want the inclusion of St. Thomas into the league. Curtains for all.

Comment

Would there be any possibility of them stay non-scholarship in football through D2 with an eye to moving into the Pioneer League at D1? I think the Summit would jump at the chance to add St. Thomas.
                    I have very little doubt that if the Tommies want to provide scholarships for their athletics it will be there. There are already tons of phoney "academic" scholarships at D3 schools provided yearly that may happen to go to an athlete in whatever criteria is provided for that scholarship. Those will dissapear and athletic funding begins to grow.

Comment

• Re: UST

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                      No one associated with the NSIC should want the inclusion of St. Thomas into the league. Curtains for all.
                      Why? The market opportunities are endless with UST! They would be able to compete in most sports right away!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                        Why? The market opportunities are endless with UST! They would be able to compete in most sports right away!!
                        Simple is playing the role of MIAC commissioner
                        Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 05-22-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I have very little doubt that if the Tommies want to provide scholarships for their athletics it will be there. There are already tons of phoney "academic" scholarships at D3 schools provided yearly that may happen to go to an athlete in whatever criteria is provided for that scholarship. Those will dissapear and athletic funding begins to grow.
                          I get that. What I mean is they could just keep the scholarship methodology the same while they are in D2, technically not giving athletic scholarships for football. Then, when they move to the Pioneer they would not have to get rid of football scholarships. But I think someone previously mentioned there is a grace period to go non-scholarship when moving into the Pioneer (I could be making that up)? I'm sure they have more than enough funds to fully support athletic scholarships in all other sports on day 1 in D2.

Comment

I get that. What I mean is they could just keep the scholarship methodology the same while they are in D2, technically not giving athletic scholarships for football. Then, when they move to the Pioneer they would not have to get rid of football scholarships. But I think someone previously mentioned there is a grace period to go non-scholarship when moving into the Pioneer (I could be making that up)? I'm sure they have more than enough funds to fully support athletic scholarships in all other sports on day 1 in D2.
                            Got it. I don't believe there is a d2 rule on scholarship minimums, but maybe?

Comment

Got it. I don't believe there is a d2 rule on scholarship minimums, but maybe?
                              I don't believe there is but I also seem to recall something about a minimum dollar amount. I am not entirely sure myself.

Comment

What would happen to St. Thomas' hockey program if they were to move up to D2, WCHA? This could be a good opportunity for the NSIC as St. Thomas would be a good fit even if it is only for 5 years. This would allow some of the other schools we have all been discussing some more time to improve their programs and facilities with a possible transition to D2 in 2026 or so. I'm thinking Jamestown, Dakota St, Dakota Wesleyan, Grandview, etc. Maybe in 5 more years it would give Morningside a chance to reconsider a move. My point is, who knows where the conference will be in 7 years and St. Thomas would at least be an interesting and competitive interim choice.
                                No school can join in only hockey, you have to be D1 for everything. UST can play D3 but be ineligible for post-season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X