Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UST

Great thread. Very interesting and it seems like St. Thomas has the program, local, support, and attendance to compete in the nsic. But how much more would they have to spend? Are they not just a few blocks from Concordia? How do they compare as programs? I know Concordia has a top notch volleyball program.

When I was in the Corps stationed up there, I remember passing by st Thomas and thinking how nice of a school it was. One of my marine buddies attended st Thomas and said he loved it. Top notch academics.
    Last edited by tman28; 05-25-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
      Article by a former UST football player.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...EfFQBTCsY/edit
      Interesting read, and some he raises some good points.

Comment

Originally posted by tman28 View Post
        Great thread. Very interesting and it seems like St. Thomas has the program, local, support, and attendance to compete in the nsic. But how much more would they have to spend? Are they not just a few blocks from Concordia? How do they compare as programs? I know Concordia has a top notch volleyball program.

Was I was in the Corps stationed up there, I remember passing by st Thomas and thinking how nice of a school it was.. One of my marine buddies attended st Thomas and said he loved it. Top notch academics.

Comment

It wouldn't be good for any program that heavily recruits the TC metro.

Comment

Concordia would be a good replacement in the MIAC for St. Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by StateU View Post
              It wouldn't be good for any program that heavily recruits the TC metro.

Comment

Agreed. CU would be more negatively effected than the rest of the NSIC. However, it would give CU an interesting rival and nice gates for games against The Toms. To the fans of the NSIC, be careful what you wish for. UST's cachet is beyond anything that Augie could dream of. It's an awesome story to follow and I can't wait to see what they're planning out in Collegeville.

Comment

Agreed. CU would be more negatively effected than the rest of the NSIC. However, it would give CU an interesting rival and nice gates for games against The Toms. To the fans of the NSIC, be careful what you wish for. UST's cachet is beyond anything that Augie could dream of. It's an awesome story to follow and I can't wait to see what they're planning out in Collegeville.
                  UST vs AU. enrollment UST 9878, AU 2080. endowment UST 429M. AU 61M. Augie is a small and not so rich private school, who has done well in athletics. UST has all the advantages. Students, money and location. The Tommies could easily slide to the D1 level. UST could easily dominate the NSIC in a short time period and would quickly develop an elitist attitude over NSIC.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                    UST could easily dominate the NSIC in a short time period and would quickly develop an elitist attitude over NSIC.
                    It is an MIAC school. The elitist attitude is already there. :laugh:

Comment

And to think I almost went to Gustavus to play baseball...then reality of the money I'd owe set in and I hung up the cleats

Comment

Not living in Minnesota I do not quite understand the MIAC attitude. Apparently the Twin Cities media pays little attention to the NSIC, despite it's D2 status as a great conference with many National Championships. I don't get it??

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                          And to think I almost went to Gustavus to play baseball...then reality of the money I'd owe set in and I hung up the cleats
                          To me, I wanted to get my degree and not have to go into debt. I played football at Ridgewater and got my first two years in without owing a penny to anyone. Two years later I graduated from MSU and still didn't owe a penny. Glad that I don't face that crushing debt that so many have today.

Comment

Not living in Minnesota I do not quite understand the MIAC attitude. Apparently the Twin Cities media pays little attention to the NSIC, despite it's D2 status as a great conference with many National Championships. I don't get it??
                            Twin Cities media is pretty much pro and the Gophers. Pat Reusse grew up in Fulda and Mike Max in Gaylord so you get some stuff out of those two.

In my third year of teaching I (briefly) dated a 2nd grade teacher who was my age. She was bragging about how at Concordia (Moorhead) that you were with a "better level of people" than at MSU and that her diploma meant more than mine. I pointed out my car which was parked next to her tin can. I said "That car is brand new- and it is paid for." She complained that she drove an old beater because of paying for her student loans. I told her that her teaching salary and mine were identical so I must have gotten a better deal!

Most of the people who go to a MIAC school aren't like that. But plenty of them are. Carleton and Macalester are the worst. You can almost feel it when you walk around on campus. When you either won't say "hello" or do so reluctantly I can't always write it off to shyness.........

Comment

UST vs AU. enrollment UST 9878, AU 2080. endowment UST 429M. AU 61M. Augie is a small and not so rich private school, who has done well in athletics. UST has all the advantages. Students, money and location. The Tommies could easily slide to the D1 level. UST could easily dominate the NSIC in a short time period and would quickly develop an elitist attitude over NSIC.
                              I hope you didn't take my comments as a rip on Augie, because it's a great school with excellent athletics. I think we're in agreement with UST and their capabilities.

Comment

I hope you didn't take my comments as a rip on Augie, because it's a great school with excellent athletics. I think we're in agreement with UST and their capabilities.
                                Absolutely not. Never thought you were denigrating Augustana. My feeling are that AU belongs in D2 and the numbers support that.

If UST wanted to eventually go D1 they would be a good fit for the Big East conference, all but Butler U are catholic schools, they could play in the non scholarship Pioneer league for football like Butler. Do not know were they could play ice hockey. Their numbers fit easily into the Big East. Creighton out of Omaha competes well in the league with half of UST enrollment.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X