Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Each coach makes their own personal choice. They all have their comfort areas. It isn't necessarily a direct correlation to the talent level there.

Minot State dropped from 17 North Dakota players to 5 from 2022 to 2023. Do you think the talent level suddenly changed? No. They hired a coach with zero regional ties and as such the program is not placing as much focus close to home.
    They do make their own choices. And it seems they choose to not heavily recruit those areas.

No, I don’t. But it’s possible. However that’s not the point I’ve been making. The point is there isn’t enough talent in ND to support three D2 teams with predominantly local kids. Even as people have laid out their various definitions of local.

Also, just so no one’s feelings are hurt…I’m not ragging on small town/school players. Talent is talent. But the volume at larger schools generates competition within teams rather than just between area teams. Some HSs in the metro have superior facilities to colleges. Some look like mini college campuses (and some have much larger enrollment than NSIC schools). Opportunities are more plentiful for training, etc. I grew up outside the metro and had a chip on my shoulder about how the all-state teams were basically all-metro teams, back in the 2-class days. Some outliers for sure. But then moved here almost 15 years ago and understand why. Also not saying the small school kids should be overlooked or underestimated, but it’s generally safe to say that a kid from a 9-man team isn’t facing the level of competition a kid from a 6A team is on a weekly basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I completely understand your point here. But it’s always baffled me…if the student’s desire is to go home every weekend (and some certainly do) why choose a school more than a couple hours away? Since we’re talking non-athlete students.

If your football players are going home every weekend, you’ve got some issues! Ha :)
      It's not only about going home, but families coming to visit. A regional recruit drastically increases the odds that the parents/family/friends can come to a number of your games.

Comment

• Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

That’s not geographical realistic. That really over extends the footprint. For most boosters and alumni “ local” means in state. Certainly not neighboring states. Most coaches my extended to a nearby state—- Moorhead may extend to ND or SD—- Angie & SF may extend to Minnesota and northern Iowa. Its fan like to try to extend to regional rather than local.
        Are you just arguing the definition of local versus regional? If so, I amend my original thoughts to state that the core of a good D2 football program is comprised of regional recruits. A team can't rely on kids who live so far away they have to fly in.

I know who you are and what your experiences have been. I have been publishing this site for 25 years. I have seen how recruiting has changed from 1900 until now. I'm not engaging in some fantasy.

Comment

It matters where you are within a state too.
          Right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
            When I think of a "local" student, I think of someone who could feasibly drive home over a weekend if they wanted/needed to. Somewhere in the < 6 hour drive-time range where one could leave school on a Friday afternoon, and drive back on a Sunday afternoon. That would max the range out at about 400 miles..
            It's funny you say that.

Former Grand Valley coach Matt Mitchell used to talk about how GV had a "tank of gas" recruiting philosophy. The majority of their team would come from the area in which they could drive on a tank of gas. 25 miles per gallon x an 18 gallon tank = 450 miles.

Comment

It's not only about going home, but families coming to visit. A regional recruit drastically increases the odds that the parents/family/friends can come to a number of your games.
              100%
              My reference was to general student population, as noted in the ‘non-athlete’ portion.

Comment

It matters where you are within a state too. For Winona and probably Mankato, northern Illinois is close enough for local/regional recruiting. For SMSU, Omaha is a short 4 hour drive.

I remember Gophers coach PJ Fleck talked after his hire about his recruiting home base being within an 8-10 hour drive. That probably gets tightened up for schools at the D2 level, but five hours should be a pretty reasonable area to find 50-75% of your recruits.
                I wanted to add to this point that it's also important when you look at the three North Dakota schools. It's also part of why I think I'm a little more positive about Jamestown's chances compared to the other two than a lot of others are.

If a Fargo kid is choosing between Minot and Jamestown, I feel like Jamestown has the advantage in terms of location in many cases. Sure there are other factors in play, but a 90-minute interstate drive is more manageable than the four-plus hours to Minot. Only being 1.5 hours into ND also means as a coaching staff you can probably reach a little farther into Minnesota for kids.

Minot to just Fargo is as long of a drive as going from Jamestown all the way down 94 to St Cloud. Minot to Billings, Montana, is a shorter drive than Minot to either the Twin Cities or Sioux Falls. I think UMary recognizes this with the Schillinger hire. The previous staff in Minot recognized this as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

It's funny you say that.

Former Grand Valley coach Matt Mitchell used to talk about how GV had a "tank of gas" recruiting philosophy. The majority of their team would come from the area in which they could drive on a tank of gas. 25 miles per gallon x an 18 gallon tank = 450 miles.
                  Another good point. I know Hudl and social media has drastically altered the recruiting game, but it also is cheaper for a program to recruit a kid within a 6-hour drive than it is to fly down to Florida or Texas for an in-home visit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

It's funny you say that.

I really like this reference. I think that's what most consider "within our area".

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Also, just so no one’s feelings are hurt…I’m not ragging on small town/school players. Talent is talent. But the volume at larger schools generates competition within teams rather than just between area teams. Some HSs in the metro have superior facilities to colleges. Some look like mini college campuses (and some have much larger enrollment than NSIC schools). Opportunities are more plentiful for training, etc. I grew up outside the metro and had a chip on my shoulder about how the all-state teams were basically all-metro teams, back in the 2-class days. Some outliers for sure. But then moved here almost 15 years ago and understand why. Also not saying the small school kids should be overlooked or underestimated, but it’s generally safe to say that a kid from a 9-man team isn’t facing the level of competition a kid from a 6A team is on a weekly basis.
                      My staunch urbanism aside, this is my take too. It's why I'm curious to see how Koi Perich does with Minnesota.

Ultimately, it's why states abandoned the one-champion model of high school sports and went to a class structure. One could say Minneota has a chance to beat Eden Prairie, but the likelihood of that happening is near zero.

At the end of the day, I don't care where the talent comes from. But the reality is, it's not as likely to come from the smaller programs. And there is literally nothing to be offended by in saying so, though I'm sure it'll ruffle someone's jimmies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

I really like this reference. I think that's what most consider "within our area".
                        me too

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

My staunch urbanism aside, this is my take too. It's why I'm curious to see how Koi Perich does with Minnesota.

Ultimately, it's why states abandoned the one-champion model of high school sports and went to a class structure. One could say Minneota has a chance to beat Eden Prairie, but the likelihood of that happening is near zero.

At the end of the day, I don't care where the talent comes from. But the reality is, it's not as likely to come from the smaller programs. And there is literally nothing to be offended by in saying so, though I'm sure it'll ruffle someone's jimmies.
                          Esko might be small, but it’s right outside of Duluth. He’ll be fine.

Comment

Esko might be small, but it’s right outside of Duluth. He’ll be fine.
                            After I Googled it, I remembered they co-op with Cloquet for hockey.

That being said, he hasn't exactly played top level talent. Rooting for him though.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

After I Googled it, I remembered they co-op with Cloquet for hockey.

That being said, he hasn't exactly played top level talent. Rooting for him though.
                              He did get the MVP award at the High School All-American Bowl this past weekend as a safety.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2024/...-american-bowl
                              Millsy

Comment

• Myles West - Minot leading RB this last year....made it official over the weekend. He's heading down to the GAC..back closer to home..Arkansas Tech.

@MylesWest13
                                5’11” 208 Transfer RB
                                Arkansas Tech
                                Houston, TX

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X