Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Layton View Post
    It’s unfortunate that WU basketball has really tanked. Those games when I was in school from 14-19 were some of the best sporting events I’ve been to. Just great games and atmospheres with the two close communities. I hope they get it turned around
    It's tough when you are on your 3rd HC in three years! They "hit" in their first two but the new guy is struggling out of the gate. Haven't looked at their roster but I would imagine a 100% turnover over the last two years...heck, there just lucky someone remembers how to turn the gym lights on!!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

      It's tough when you are on your 3rd HC in three years! They "hit" in their first two but the new guy is struggling out of the gate. Haven't looked at their roster but I would imagine a 100% turnover over the last two years...heck, there just lucky someone remembers how to turn the gym lights on!!
      It's actually untrue about the roster turnover. Their top 4 guys this season--Reid, Haines, Korte, & Gentry--are the same top 4 they've had for the past 3 years. And the 5th starter, Taylor, as well as sixth man, Price, are in their second year with the team. So roster turnover is not the issue at all. Coach turnover certainly is. But the roster is pretty stable all things considered.

      Comment


      • FYI – West Liberty National Statistical Ranking as of Jan 23, 2022
        • 90th percentile (top 30) in 13 categories.
        • Top 10 in 9 categories: Scoring, Assists, Scoring margin, steals, turnovers forced, Assist to turnover ratio, three point attempts and three point goals
        • Nova SE and West Liberty are essentially equal in scoring offense
        • It is impressive that WLU is #5 in assist to turnover ratio, given the rapid pace of play and the freedom for players to make decisions in real time.
        • Sharing of basketball has caused assists to climb.
        • Great athletes plus great effort yields outstanding steals per game, which are live ball turnovers that often result in transition scores.
        • Forced Turnovers – Nova SE #1 (incredible 26.5 per game), Bluefield State #2, West Liberty #3
        • Despite not shooting over 40%, still making over 11 threes per game.
        • Turnover margin allows us to get 8 more possessions a game. At 50% FG %, that is at least 8 points a game advantage.
        Date National Ranking West Liberty rank Value
        1/23/2022 Scoring Offense 1 99.20
        1/23/2022 Assists Per Game 3 20.70
        1/23/2022 Scoring Margin 3 19.00
        1/23/2022 Steals Per Game 3 11.90
        1/23/2022 Turnover Margin 3 8.10
        1/23/2022 Turnovers Forced 3 20.50
        1/23/2022 Assist Turnover Ratio 5 1.67
        1/23/2022 Three-Point Attempts 9 534.00
        1/23/2022 Three-Point Field Goals Per Game 10 11.10
        1/23/2022 Free-Throw Attempts 14 380.00
        1/23/2022 Offensive Rebounds per game 14 13.72
        1/23/2022 Field-Goal Percentage 16 49.92
        1/23/2022 Free-Throw Made 20 270.00

        Comment


        • Observations on the Wheeling Game 1/22/2022
          • Besides three-point shooting WLU has many different ways to win by 20+ points.
          • Despite shooting an abysmal 9-41 (22%) from three, WLU still managed 1.22 points per possession, which is world class. How could this be? WLU made 68% of their 2-point attempts and 22-25 (88%) of their FTs, had a 1.82 assist to turnover ratio and got 37.5% of the rebounds off their offensive glass.
          • WLU has shutdown defensive guards and forwards. Beyond the statistics, the pressure wears on teams.
          • Over 50% of goals came on assists. Players are moving much better without the ball and setting off-ball screens and cutting crisply toward the opening inside.
          • They forced 25 turnovers, of which 72% were steals. This is an amazing number, when 50% is outstanding.
          • WLU is doing much better in avoiding offensive fouls. More jump stops
          Opponent WHEELING
          Date 01/22/22
          Score 109-85
          w/l W
          FG 39
          FGA 85
          FG Pct 45.88%
          3 FG 9
          3 FGA 41
          3 FG PCT 21.95%
          FT 22
          FTA 25
          FT PCT 88.00%
          Off Reb 18
          Def Reb 27
          Tot Reb 45
          Reb Per Game 39.2
          PF 28
          Assist 20
          TO 11
          Blk 6
          Stl 18
          Pts 109
          Avg Pts Per Game 99.2
          Steals per Forced TO 72%
          Assist to TO Ratio 1.82
          Assist per FG 51.3%
          Points Per FGA 1.28
          Points Per Possession 1.22
          Num Possessions 89
          OppDefReb 30
          Off Reb Effic 37.5%
          Forced TO 25
          Game num 18
          Two Pt FG % 68.18%

          Comment


          • Observations from WLU at Davis and Elkins Jan 26, 2022
            • This was a tale of two halves, with D&E remaining within striking distance the first half.
            • D&E used the strategy of pulling the ball out after breaking the press, rather than attacking the rim in transition. Their goal was to slow down the pace of the game by using much of the shot clock. However, they passed the ball during this period, rather than having the PG hold the ball until 12 seconds left (ala WV State) before starting the offense.
            • WLU used their strategy to playing 10 players in two platoons, rotating them every 4 minutes. WLU started off a little shaky, by taking and missing some shots, although makeable, were not great shots.
            • The first 9 minutes, the play was at a pace in the 40s, as D&E was making threes and keeping the game close. With 1:10 left, WLU led by 1 point at 33-32, with game pace having slowly increased to a mid-60s final score. WLU quickly forced 3 turnovers and scored 7 points in the final minute to end the half leading 40-32.
            • Cracks were starting to occur in D&Es game due to the cumulative effect of incessant pressure.
            • WLU scored 5 points in the first minute of the second half, forcing a timeout by D&E to right the ship. WLU was moving without the ball and rapidly rotating the ball, resulting in easy open look shots. D&E was getting very slow in their defensive rotations and close outs.
            • By the 11 minute mark, the lead had swelled to 60-41, with D&E missing shots and turning the ball over. Again, the effects of mental and physical effects of fatigue.
            • Our three-point shooters (i.e., everyone on the court) were getting wide open looks. Some were positioned at NBA 3 range and were excellent at rapid catch and shoot threes. The threes spread the defense, which opened the court for inside moves as well as drives.
            • By the 7 minute mark, WLU led by 32 points, 74-42. D&E was gassed. At 3 minutes, the lead was 33 points, at 85-52. WLU experimented with different combinations, with the final score 90-73.
            • Some player stats
              • Eight players logged at least 15 minutes, with no one playing more than 28 minutes.
              • Nine players made threes. Zach was 5 for 6, with some being beyond NBA range (not surprising, as he scored > 3,000 points in high school, second only to Jon Deebler as the most in Ohio history)
              • WLU controlled the offensive glass, getting an amazing 44% of the caroms.
              • WLU effective shooting % was 61.9%, which is incredible.
              • Over 50% of the forced 18 turnovers were steals, which is an outstanding ratio.
            Opponent at Davis & Elkins
            Date 01/26/22
            Score 90-63
            w/l W
            FG 32
            FGA 63
            FG Pct 51%
            3 FG 14
            3 FGA 30
            3 FG PCT 47%
            FT 12
            FTA 18
            FT PCT 67%
            Off Reb 15
            Def Reb 21
            Tot Reb 36
            Reb Per Game 39.0
            PF 21
            Assist 18
            TO 11
            Blk 4
            Stl 9
            Pts 90
            Avg Pts Per Game 98.7
            Steals per Forced TO 50%
            Assist to TO Ratio 1.64
            Assist per FG 56%
            Points Per FGA 1.43
            Points Per Possession 1.34
            Num Possessions 67
            OppDefReb 19
            Off Reb Effic 44%
            Forced TO 18
            Game num 19
            Two Pt FG % 54.5%
            Effective Shooting 61.9%

            Comment


            • I too noticed that D&E was attempting to pull the ball out and run clock after breaking the press. That's not necessarily a surprising move--teams like WVSU have used that strategy with some effectiveness.

              What D&E also seemed to be doing (just anecdotal from watching) was trying to "rough it up" out there as well. It appeared to be a very physical game with bodies flying everywhere. With the slow pace and physical nature of the first half, I thought a PSAC game had broken out for a minute there! ; )

              But to be quite honest, the physical approach of D&E did seem to have some WLU guys rattled. McKinney picked up a silly Technical, and you saw a lot more arms raised at referees from the WLU players than normal. Normally, WLU prides itself on being the ones doing the rattling with their constant pressure. It's typically the opponent who is raising their arms to the referees pleading for a bailout. But D&E had WLU a bit flustered with the physical play it seemed. But it just wasn't a sustainable effort from D&E, and the second half told the tale. But I do wonder if other teams will go to school on this tape and decide to try to get a bit more physical with WLU. The players have to show a bit more composure in that situation and just let the system work (which it eventually did in this game).

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                I too noticed that D&E was attempting to pull the ball out and run clock after breaking the press. That's not necessarily a surprising move--teams like WVSU have used that strategy with some effectiveness.

                What D&E also seemed to be doing (just anecdotal from watching) was trying to "rough it up" out there as well. It appeared to be a very physical game with bodies flying everywhere. With the slow pace and physical nature of the first half, I thought a PSAC game had broken out for a minute there! ; )

                But to be quite honest, the physical approach of D&E did seem to have some WLU guys rattled. McKinney picked up a silly Technical, and you saw a lot more arms raised at referees from the WLU players than normal. Normally, WLU prides itself on being the ones doing the rattling with their constant pressure. It's typically the opponent who is raising their arms to the referees pleading for a bailout. But D&E had WLU a bit flustered with the physical play it seemed. But it just wasn't a sustainable effort from D&E, and the second half told the tale. But I do wonder if other teams will go to school on this tape and decide to try to get a bit more physical with WLU. The players have to show a bit more composure in that situation and just let the system work (which it eventually did in this game).
                Good points. I thought #23 for D&E was doing most of the heavy physical contact. He picked up a T in 2nd half on a no call collision with Marlon in the backcourt. Marlon crushed him. If you dish it out, you have to be able to take it! Lol

                He was really physcal with Malik, among others. Malik got the T after hitting a corner three on him, I think. Wonder if it was trash talk? Malik earned a trip to the bench for his bad choice.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

                  Good points. I thought #23 for D&E was doing most of the heavy physical contact. He picked up a T in 2nd half on a no call collision with Marlon in the backcourt. Marlon crushed him. If you dish it out, you have to be able to take it! Lol

                  He was really physcal with Malik, among others. Malik got the T after hitting a corner three on him, I think. Wonder if it was trash talk? Malik earned a trip to the bench for his bad choice.
                  I do think McKinney's T was of the "taunting" variety. He hit that corner 3 right in front of the D&E bench, and he appeared to let someone (or everyone on that bench) know about it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Scrub View Post

                    I do think McKinney's T was of the "taunting" variety. He hit that corner 3 right in front of the D&E bench, and he appeared to let someone (or everyone on that bench) know about it.
                    Personally, I am glad about the crackdown on taunting. Nothing good comes from disrespecting someone, and in some situations, tragedy results from it. I learned that early in life in the Appalachian culture.

                    I realize that they are emulating NBA behavior, but NBA players are entertainers that sell tickets, so refs have a whole different set of rules. StilI, I don't like it when NBA players do it.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

                      Personally, I am glad about the crackdown on taunting. Nothing good comes from disrespecting someone, and in some situations, tragedy results from it. I learned that early in life in the Appalachian culture.

                      I realize that they are emulating NBA behavior, but NBA players are entertainers that sell tickets, so refs have a whole different set of rules. StilI, I don't like it when NBA players do it.
                      Totally agree. I hate the taunting and jawing, and I don't mind seeing a kid T'd up for it. In McKinney's case, I think it was a product of frustration after the WLU guys were getting banged around pretty good last night. Malik seems like a pretty easy-going guy on the court most of the time, but even the best of us can lose ourselves when pushed.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Scrub View Post

                        Totally agree. I hate the taunting and jawing, and I don't mind seeing a kid T'd up for it. In McKinney's case, I think it was a product of frustration after the WLU guys were getting banged around pretty good last night. Malik seems like a pretty easy-going guy on the court most of the time, but even the best of us can lose ourselves when pushed.
                        I agree. Malik is easy going. But he is such an awesome defender on the press in denying the inbounds pass that he takes a lot of contact and forearm shoves from opponents. Couple of years ago at frostburg he drew two offensive fouls on shoves on successive in bound plays from the same opponent! Just needs to ignore it for the team.
                        Last edited by Columbuseer; 01-27-2022, 06:41 PM.

                        Comment


                        • FYI Luke Denbow is on fire for Ashland high.
                          • broke 21 year old school assist record with 449 assists
                          • Tied 50 year old school game scoring record with 42 points a couple of weeks ago
                          • Already leading scorer in ashland history with 1317 on dec 28- probably overv 1500 points now
                          • Hit 4 consecutive deep three jump shots over defenders tonight - had 20 points with 5 min. Left in 2nd quarter. Finished with 34 pts and 7 assists
                          Perfect fit for wlu!

                          Comment


                          • Observations on West Liberty versus WV Wesleyan
                            • :The WVW strategy was to:
                              • Slow the pace of the game; they pulled the ball out to start the offense even when they broke the press and had a numerical advantage.
                              • Limit turnovers - They had 16 turnovers, which is less than WLU’s average of 20 forced turnovers.
                              • Shoot well – they did ok here, hitting 57% of their threes.
                              • At the 12:24 mark of the first half, WVW led 14-12, on a pace for a 70-point game.
                            • WVW was doing reasonably well for the first 8 minutes. What happened?
                              • WVW did not have enough depth to withstand the physical and mental stress of the WLU pace of play.
                              • WVW’s rebounding and closeout on defense started to suffer as a result.
                              • WVW started making live ball turnovers.
                            • West Liberty started elevating its pressure and energy in both platoons, while doing a great job of sharing the ball and moving without the ball.
                              • In the first 8 minutes, WLU was getting easy shots, but just missing them. This started to change around the 10-minute mark of the first half.
                              • WLU was making unforced turnovers trying the make an extra pass when teammates zigged when they should have zagged. But their intent was on sharing the ball and these issues would only be temporary.
                              • We are seeing the younger players, especially those in the second platoon get more comfortable and starting to play at an ever-higher level.
                              • Opponents now have at least 9 players to worry about getting hot and hitting deep threes. WLU was 21-40 from three for 53%.
                                • Patrik, Malik, Bryce, Cmont, and Victor were known threats.
                                • Now add Ben Sarson (5-5), Garrett Denbow (5-8), Zach Rasile (3-4), Luke Powell (1-2) and Austin Webb (1-3)
                                • There is no one that opponents can leave open in order to provide defensive help on Patrick, Malik, Bryce, or Victor.
                              • WLU made an amazing 1.4 points per FGA and an incredible 1.51 points per possession
                              • WLU controlled the offensive glass getting a dominating 51% of the rebounds off their glass.
                              • WLU got steals on 50% of their forced turnovers.
                              • They got WVW so tired with their pace and ball movement that on several occasions, a WLU player would get a rebound and go coast to coast for an uncontested layup, running past exhausted WVW players.
                            • The referees were not calling a tight game, which favored WLU, and reduced stoppages of play. WLU shot 100% FT on 8-8. WVW only shot 7-13 FTs


                            Opponent W.VA. WESLEYAN
                            Date 01/30/22
                            Score 109-65
                            w/l W
                            FG 40
                            FGA 78
                            FG Pct 51%
                            3FG 21
                            3 FGA 40
                            3 FG PCT 53%
                            FT 8
                            FTA 8
                            FT PCT 100%
                            Off Reb 20
                            Def Reb 24
                            Tot Reb 44
                            Reb Per Game 39.2
                            PF 15
                            Assist 28
                            TO 10
                            Blk 6
                            Steal 8
                            Pts 109
                            Avg Pts Per Game 99.2
                            Steals per Forced TO 50%
                            Assist to TO Ratio 2.80
                            Assist per FG 70%
                            Points Per FGA 1.40
                            Points Per Possession 1.51
                            Num Possessions 72
                            Opponent Defense Reb 19
                            Off Reb Efficiency 51%
                            Forced TO 16
                            Game num 20
                            Two Pt FG % 50.0%
                            Effective Shooting % 64.74%

                            Comment


                            • I'll tell you who was particularly impressive on Sunday: Austin Webb. He only had a few points, but I was at the game and his hustle plays (some of the things that don't show up in the box) were very noticeable and very key. The box shows 6 boards for Webb, but I would guess that about 5 of those were of the out-hustle-the-bigger-guy variety, some of which kept offensive possessions alive on tip-outs to a guard. His hands were active in passing lanes all game long with lots of tips. As an observer who was at the game and not simply looking at a box score or viewing what the camera showed, I can attest that Webb had a very impressive performance on Sunday doing all the little things that make WLU basketball WLU basketball. Really pleased to see the development of the young guys. I would guess that if Yoakum were not injured in pre-season, Webb might even be redshirting, but here he is making key contributions and growing into a role late in the season (much like Sarson did last year). Glad to see it.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                                I'll tell you who was particularly impressive on Sunday: Austin Webb. He only had a few points, but I was at the game and his hustle plays (some of the things that don't show up in the box) were very noticeable and very key. The box shows 6 boards for Webb, but I would guess that about 5 of those were of the out-hustle-the-bigger-guy variety, some of which kept offensive possessions alive on tip-outs to a guard. His hands were active in passing lanes all game long with lots of tips. As an observer who was at the game and not simply looking at a box score or viewing what the camera showed, I can attest that Webb had a very impressive performance on Sunday doing all the little things that make WLU basketball WLU basketball. Really pleased to see the development of the young guys. I would guess that if Yoakum were not injured in pre-season, Webb might even be redshirting, but here he is making key contributions and growing into a role late in the season (much like Sarson did last year). Glad to see it.
                                Great insights. I have felt that in the past, Austin was still adjusting to the game and was intent on not making a mistake. He was never really challenging his opponent on offense, but just making the pass rapidly to his acclaimed teammates. Understandable for a freshman. As you described, in this game, Austin started to get more comfortable and just play the game without thinking. His ceiling is very high, with his smarts, long arms, passing and three point shooting. Another year in the weight room and he could be a force.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X