Comment

• UC

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
        I’ll give you one guess for where Butler ended up
        As predicted College of Charleston.

Yes indeed WLU has become CofC's "farm team."

Comment

• Bryce played 4 yrs for wlu. So i am ok with him leaving. One positive outcome is that it avoids an asterisk debate. Had he stayed, he would have become leading career scorer after playing for 1 more year than everyone else.

I think CoC is a good program with a good, ethical coach.

Comment

• The WLU style proliferation may have begun. Nova asst. and former wlu player Jordan Fee to Gannon. Imho wlu's success changed the type of players mec teams recruited in order to compete with wlu. Be interesting to see if he makes the same impact on the PSAC long term.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
              The WLU style proliferation may have begun. Nova asst. and former wlu player Jordan Fee to Gannon. Imho wlu's success changed the type of players mec teams recruited in order to compete with wlu. Be interesting to see if he makes the same impact on the PSAC long term.
              You're presuming that he would run the WLU style. He was an assistant at Nova before Crutch got there. Who's to say he doesn't run what he learned during that stretch? As has been said on this board before, Eric Bovaird left WLU and did not take the WLU style to the South Pacific. There's not yet a guarantee that Fee decides to run Crutch's system in Erie.

Comment

• He would not be very bright if he didn’t after seeing that style play each other in the national championship

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

You're presuming that he would run the WLU style. He was an assistant at Nova before Crutch got there. Who's to say he doesn't run what he learned during that stretch? As has been said on this board before, Eric Bovaird left WLU and did not take the WLU style to the South Pacific. There's not yet a guarantee that Fee decides to run Crutch's system in Erie.
                  It will be interesting. This is a relatively late hire (certainly within the recruiting cycle). He's starting from scratch (I don't think there's one player still there that actually played last year).

If he would bring the WL/Nova system, I'd guess that takes at least 10-11 quality players to run. That's a lot to recruit and implement in 6 months. But, if that is the plan, he has to start somewhere. I'd suspect he goes heavy transfers this year just to get the roster filled quickly.

Trying to build a ground/pound, half-court team would probably be faster, but he's coming in to a division of those types of teams.

If I was him, I'd try and bring the WL style. He'll get a couple years to get it going before any pressure starts to mount. I think Gannon is also playing all its home games at Penn State Behrend next year as its home gym is undergoing a massive renovation (i.e. nobody is going to watch Year 1 anyway).

Rest assured, Gannon has money. And, money can rebuild a roster very quickly.

It seems like a great hire. Now, a lot changes when you go from clipboard carrier to the lead dog. You're now dealing with the administration, angry parents, know-it-all boosters, etc.

Comment

On march 24 i asked one of his best friends and former teammate the question about Fee's preferred style since he has had different head coaches. It was in the context of fee taking over when crutch retired. He said definitely wlu style. I accepted him as qualified for "who's to say".

Comment

On march 24 i asked one of his best friends and former teammate the question about Fee's preferred style since he has had different head coaches. It was in the context of fee taking over when crutch retired. He said definitely wlu style. I accepted him as qualified for "who's to say".
                      Fair enough. You have more inside contacts than I do. I'm just a run-of-the-mill fan who watches the games. I trust your sources.

But I just found it interesting that Bovaird went to Chaminade and didn't take "Crutch" with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If he would bring the WL/Nova system, I'd guess that takes at least 10-11 quality players to run. That's a lot to recruit and implement in 6 months. But, if that is the plan, he has to start somewhere.

It seems like a great hire. Now, a lot changes when you go from clipboard carrier to the lead dog. You're now dealing with the administration, angry parents, know-it-all boosters, etc.
                        in the early crutch years, they used only 7 players over 18 mins. The platooning was an evolution roughly 10 years into the tenure. When I first saw them play in 2011, I thought
                        " are these guys cross country runners who put on a basketball jersey after their season?" I had never seen such a sustained level of effort and pressure.
                        However, I agree that he will need more time and players to make a run in the psac.

Comment

Fair enough. You have more inside contacts than I do. I'm just a run-of-the-mill fan who watches the games. I trust your sources.

But I just found it interesting that Bovaird went to Chaminade and didn't take "Crutch" with him.
                          That is interesting. He played a different style in college and overseas. Coaches are creatures of habit. Maybe he was more comfortable with a different style. He has hit a rough patch the last 3 or 4 years in terms of wins.

Comment

That is interesting. He played a different style in college and overseas. Coaches are creatures of habit. Maybe he was more comfortable with a different style. He has hit a rough patch the last 3 or 4 years in terms of wins.
                            It sounds like paradise in Hawaii ... Until you go there for an extended period. Retention of athletes is horrendous ... even at the U of Hawaii. Those plane rides get old real fast. Once the novelty wears off many kids get very home sick and feel very isolated.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It will be interesting. This is a relatively late hire (certainly within the recruiting cycle). He's starting from scratch (I don't think there's one player still there that actually played last year).

If he would bring the WL/Nova system, I'd guess that takes at least 10-11 quality players to run. That's a lot to recruit and implement in 6 months. But, if that is the plan, he has to start somewhere. I'd suspect he goes heavy transfers this year just to get the roster filled quickly.

Trying to build a ground/pound, half-court team would probably be faster, but he's coming in to a division of those types of teams.

If I was him, I'd try and bring the WL style. He'll get a couple years to get it going before any pressure starts to mount. I think Gannon is also playing all its home games at Penn State Behrend next year as its home gym is undergoing a massive renovation (i.e. nobody is going to watch Year 1 anyway).

Rest assured, Gannon has money. And, money can rebuild a roster very quickly.

Not having players from the previous Gannon team probably isn't a bad thing for Fee. No bad habits or "we did it this way" to break. His recruiting will be interesting. The WLU Style started with less gifted athletes who worked harder, smarter and unselfishly. Players like this generally don't get a lot recruiting attention so, presumably, they should still be available.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Not having players from the previous Gannon team probably isn't a bad thing for Fee. No bad habits or "we did it this way" to break. His recruiting will be interesting. The WLU Style started with less gifted athletes who worked harder, smarter and unselfishly. Players like this generally don't get a lot recruiting attention so, presumably, they should still be available.
                                Correct. Gannon was 3-23 last year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X