Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of note Porterfield made his first career start today.

Comment

• Big road trip for Tom's ladies this weekend. Friday night they take on an 8-1 Shepherd team and Saturday they get a Shippensburg (5-4) team that's won two straight (one of which was over Cal).

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Yep. This is early in third season. I watched replay of them putting 154 on clayton state. They have all the pieces to win it all. Deep team with size that went to elite 8 last year with star player out.
        And at the risk of beating a dead horse...# of DII OOC teams Nova has played that are +500? One...Cedarville (6-5) who they beat tonight by 7 points 91-84.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Chalk this up to too much time sitting in an airport, but, nevertheless, some of you will find these stats interesting.

These are numbers for Joe's team based on the past (5) years (starting with 2014-15 season) -- including the first (6) games of this season.
          OVERALL CONFERENCE HOME AWAY NEUTRAL
          138-30 94-17 82-12 50-15 6-3
          The two best records of this stretch:

2016-17: 28-4 (eliminated in Round 2 of NCAAs by Fairmont State, which eventually lost in the national title game)
          2018-19: 30-3 (eliminated in Round 2 of NCAAs by Mercyhurst)

The two worst records of this stretch:

2015-16: 21-8 (missed NCAAs largely because of regular season-ending loss at Seton Hill)
          2017-18: 22-8 (missed NCAAs - this was the snakebitten team with injuries and the infamous Glover suspension / Dante broken wrist at Seton Hill)

Not the best record but the team that went the deepest:

2014-15: 31-7 (lost in national title game)

Last (5) years against PSAC West opponents (including all postseason meetings)
          California 10-0
          Clarion 10-0
          UPJ 12-1
          Seton Hill 9-1
          Edinboro 9-2
          Gannon 8-3
          Slippery Rock 8-3
          Mercyhurst 9-5
          The record against the PSAC West is incredible to look at. They have dominated and I'm not sure we've appreciated that the way that we should. I feel like I can remember every one of those losses to Mercyhurst, Gannon, and SRU. Gary Manchel and formerly John Reily were the only guys that had the scheme to beat Joe, or play him close, with any regularity. Players obviously have a lot to do with that, but schematically, they both just seemed to really match up well with Joe when they were able to play their system to perfection. The losses to SRU, all on the road, were "freaky" games. With the exception of the loss up there last year where they kinda just got beat, they have gotten into some odd games up there the last couple of years. I can remember my sophomore year they hit a half court shot or a buzzer beater of some sorts to win the game. I listened to Jack on the radio in my dorm room on a Saturday afternoon. That would have been January 2013. Remember, that was before there was a stream for almost every game.

The thing about that 31-7 team is that they just got hot at the right time. It typically takes catching some fire to get on a run.
          Last edited by IUP24; 12-19-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

The record against the PSAC West is incredible to look at. They have dominated and I'm not sure we've appreciated that the way that we should. I feel like I can remember every one of those losses to Mercyhurst, Gannon, and SRU. Gary Manchel and formerly John Reily were the only guys that had the scheme to beat Joe, or play him close, with any regularity. Players obviously have a lot to do with that, but schematically, they both just seemed to really match up well with Joe when they were able to play their system to perfection. The losses to SRU, all on the road, were "freaky" games. With the exception of the loss up there last year where they kinda just got beat, they have gotten into some odd games up there the last couple of years. I can remember my sophomore year they hit a half court shot or a buzzer beater of some sorts to win the game. I listened to Jack on the radio in my dorm room on a Saturday afternoon. That would have been January 2013. Remember, that was before there was a stream for almost every game.

The thing about that 31-7 team is that they just got hot at the right time. It typically takes catching some fire to get on a run.
            The Rock trip isn't easy. They go nuts for that game. Only game all year anybody attends there and it gets packed.

They get a lot of homecooking there, too. The shot clock conveniently breaks every visit. Scoreboad malfunctions at key times. Lots of interesting things.

Luckily the trip up there in two weeks will be like an IUP home game of sorts. It will be empty. Wednesday night over break.

And, as you said, SRU always plays their best game of the year against IUP inside Morrow. Last year up there Joe tried to play that slow-down game at their pace and they clocked us. The rematch down here Joe went full speed and called off the dogs up 35 points. He could have hung 50 on them that night.

SRU has had some really good teams in the past decade. Tough teams.

But, you know going up there ... there will be shenanigans. I make the trip every year. Always entertaining.

Two years ago during the women's game Tom was just blowing SRU out of Morrow. McGraw freaked out and got T'd twice and ejected. Then he wouldn't leave. Security walked him off the court. It was nuts.

Speaking of McGraw and his 'we are winning the west' quote ... he got blasted by 30 at Notre Dame the other night ... falling to 2-7 on the year.

Comment

• Ethan and Chucky ... MAKIN' SHIZ RAIN when it counts.

Wow. Clutch.

Comment

• IUP 76
                Shepherd 62

Final

It wasn't easy. Great road win. Shep can play.

Ethan looked lost in the first half ... then took over. Mr. Porterfield grew up tonight. I can't imagine what he'll be as a junior and senior.

Comment

• Comment

IUP 76
                    Shepherd 62

Final

It wasn't easy. Great road win. Shep can play.

Ethan looked lost in the first half ... then took over. Mr. Porterfield grew up tonight. I can't imagine what he'll be as a junior and senior.

Comment

• It sure wasn't easy. That final is a bit deceiving as they had a huge run to end it.

Tell you what ... Shepherd has a nice team. Balanced. They'll be a tough out in East play.

Comment

• Armoni will leave here as Joe's best guard ever. Scary to think he's just a sophomore. He's 5-Tool to borrow a baseball term. He's 6'4" with PG speed and elusiveness. Shutdown defender. Great shot and driver.

Chucky doesn't light up the score sheets in his role, but he's the glue to this team. Ultimate team player -- on and off the court. I so wish he'd have arrived here earlier (straight from high school) but IUP is very fortunate to have him.

Oddly the thing this team is struggling with is the deep shot. When it clicks they could be deadly. I'd still like to see them crash the boards a little harder.

Comment

• Great win for Ship. Joe out-coached badly. Amazing it was that close.

Comment

Great win for Ship. Joe out-coached badly. Amazing it was that close.
                            Good, exciting game. And IUP would win by 15 at your place. They're No. 3 for a reason. Outstanding backcourt.

What I'm interested to see is if Luke Nedrow is this guy from here on, or if this week has been an aberration. He owned the lane.
                            Last edited by jrshooter; 12-21-2019, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Good, exciting game. And IUP would win by 15 at your place. They're No. 3 for a reason. Outstanding backcourt.

What I'm interested to see is if Luke Nedrow is this guy from here on, or if this week has been an aberration. He owned the lane.
                              A strange season so far. Ship probably won the one game of the three this week I thought they'd be least likely to win. They're going to need this week's Nedrow unless the shooting improves. It's been almost bizarre. A guy is lights-out one game and can't hit the broad side of a barn the next. Anyway, a good and needed win.

Comment

• Watched the playback of the game. As Joe often says, a lot of good usually comes out of losses like this one. This team hopefully learned some painful lessons in this game.

The main teaching point I saw is they have to put teams away. IUP had finally taken control of the second half and had a 5 point lead with 5 minutes left. They failed on three possessions to extend that lead to 7 or 8 points (or perhaps more). That would have probably made the difference. On top of it, Ship had two starters fouled out by the 3-minute mark.

IUP's first half was horrendous -- worst this year by a mile. IUP scored 1 point -- 1 point -- in the first 5:45 of the game. How they were only down 7 points at halftime was actually a small miracle. They shot 29% in the first half along with 33% from deep and just 40% from the FT line. The second half was better except from outside. IUP hit 6-25 from deep for the game -- 24% -- including 1-10 after halftime. Defensively, they were very lethargic in the first half. Joe's lack of using some timeouts in the first half can certainly be second-guessed. And, the three-point shooting is starting to become a serious issue.

Fite knew Joe had a weakness defensively underneath and they really exploited it. This is an alarming factor going in to the rugged West season as they will see lots of similar, big, physical teams. When you start as poor as they did against Ship and get in a hole ... that's the worst possible thing to happen as it then let Shippensburg dictate the pace and style of play. With this teams make-up they need to play fast. They will struggle all year in bang 'em style games. It's sure nice to see a 6'10", 245 lb, shot-blocker sitting on the bench in a track suit.

They'll come out better on the other side of this loss. Malik and Armoni aren't going to combine for 4-17 from deep many nights. They have to get more physical on the boards. Ship got every big rebound all night. Defensively, they played pretty well. They forced 17 TOs and Ship shot the ball poorly, too. Ethan was overwhelmed under the basket in this game and unfortunately that is going to happen with a true freshman being forced to play heavy minutes. I get Joe's trying to have a post presence under the basket, but I question if this roster is better suited to play the four guards and Chuckie lineup -- with Ethan and Anthony White coming off the bench. Ethan is ready to play but so far he's seemed to play his best in spurts.

IUP put Ship on the line far too much -- and they paid severely for it. Ship went 27-31 at the line to IUP's 12-16. Malik's three at the buzzer to tie the game missed by about half an inch.

Disappointing to lose but they can take the positive of having a stat sheet as ugly as that one and just about beating a strong, desperate team on the road in a pretty wound up environment.

They get the next two at home. A better-than-you-think Lock Haven is here next Friday night followed by a rare Monday night home game against Mercyhurst. And, then the trip up to Morrow. This is a real tough stretch.
                                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-23-2019, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X