Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Big win... couple things stick out to me. Malik 8 turnovers, 26% from 3.
    Malik didn't have a good warm-up. Call it a bad night.

The offense wasn't very good ... IUP could (should) have won by 30+. They left a TON of points on the floor. Mercyhurst still plays D but IUP could have lit them up. Shots weren't dropping.

Big win. No doubt.

Comment

• In the couple of minutes I was able to endure through the jumpy video feed, I was very impressed with Shawndale. He looks like a real player.

Comment

It's been bad the last few games. Don't know the issue all of a sudden and yes, the announcers stink!

Several people have said the live stream has been terrible the past couple games. It keeps buffering, etc. Hopefully the athletic department is reading along here. The team has so few dedicated fans who are willing to actually turn on their computer for two hours to watch the games ... the buffering is unacceptable.

The student announcer thing gets beat to death on here. I fully agree they should let them call the games BUT on a separate version of the broadcast (as in a practice version). Typically the IUP live feed is technically strong and visually good. They show multiple angles from the floor level and up above. They also show replay. The play-by-play call, however, is just horrendous. It immediately lessens the quality of the broadcast. When you can't pronounce your own players' names ... get them off the air immediately. The MEC and some PSAC schools use professional announcers. It makes SUCH a difference when you have to watch the games on the computer. Calling games 'live' on air ... you can never be prepared enough. These guys IUP puts on there sound like they won a flip cup tournament at the Coney a half hour before the game -- and get handed a headset. Football is the same.

IUP has the iconic Jack Benedict calling games but he's radio only. He's the best around on this level and in his 51st year calling IUP games. I get Jack technically works for WCCS and not IUP. Too bad they couldn't work something out for Jack's broadcast to be the internet video feed. For anybody local ... it's all the more reason to get to the games in person.

Comment

• If I lived in the area I would get to more games. It's just hard when I'm 2.5 hours away so a five hour plus round trip doesn't always make sense with my schedule. The student answers call Armoni, "Armari Foster." It's annoying as hell when you don't even get your own teams names right. It's embarrassing actually. The easiest part of that job is getting the players names right. How hard would it be for those student announcers to approach one of the coaches or the player to make sure they get it right.

Comment

• Honestly, I don't mind student announcers one bit. It's their station; let them get their work in. However, there's no excuse for UNDERPREPARED student announcers.

It's true that the WLU men's broadcast has professional announcers (with an occasional cameo by a student color analyst). However, if you ever get a chance to tune in to a WLU women's game, you might be surprised to find that they've handed the reins of the play-by-play for the women to a Sophomore student announcer . . . and he's really good. I LOVE that a Sophomore broadcasting student is getting a chance to be the voice of the WLU women--what priceless experience for that young man. But the difference here is that he seems to be much better prepared for the work. Yes, he occasionally stumbles over an opposing player's name (and sometimes resorts to just saying a number instead, "rebounded by #34 on Wesleyan"), but that kinda thing is well within what's expected of a young man getting his work in. But he never mispronounces a home team name, and he's really quite fluid with his call overall. I'm very impressed by the young man, and it makes me proud of the WLU broadcasting department that they've prepared him so well to do the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
              Honestly, I don't mind student announcers one bit. It's their station; let them get their work in. However, there's no excuse for UNDERPREPARED student announcers.

It's true that the WLU men's broadcast has professional announcers (with an occasional cameo by a student color analyst). However, if you ever get a chance to tune in to a WLU women's game, you might be surprised to find that they've handed the reins of the play-by-play for the women to a Sophomore student announcer . . . and he's really good. I LOVE that a Sophomore broadcasting student is getting a chance to be the voice of the WLU women--what priceless experience for that young man. But the difference here is that he seems to be much better prepared for the work. Yes, he occasionally stumbles over an opposing player's name (and sometimes resorts to just saying a number instead, "rebounded by #34 on Wesleyan"), but that kinda thing is well within what's expected of a young man getting his work in. But he never mispronounces a home team name, and he's really quite fluid with his call overall. I'm very impressed by the young man, and it makes me proud of the WLU broadcasting department that they've prepared him so well to do the job.
              I agree with you it's a great platform. I don't think the guys are looking for Al Michaels. The frustration many have is this poor quality has been going on for years and years on these broadcasts. It also doesn't improve as the season moves along. That tells me they aren't getting any coaching/teaching -- which is the whole point of it. It's blatantly obvious they aren't prepared to fill 2.5 hours of air time, either. Know the names. Be aware of what the game means in the standings. Have a knowledge of the what has transpired this season.

One odd thing and a big disadvantage the IUP student broadcasters have is they -- again ... very oddly -- aren't watching the game live. They set them up in the concourse without a live view of the game (i.e. they call it off the closed circuit feed on their monitors). There are many instances in a game when things happen off camera. Sometimes when they seem 'lost' during the game ... I believe this is a direct reason. They can hear the crowd yelling or screaming but won't know why. Jack and Tony broadcast from the media table on the floor (and basically right beside Joe Lombardi). They can see and hear everything. IUP only has a media table on one side of the court ... so there isn't room for them down there. The setup you saw in the Regional last year with media on both sides isn't the norm.

I'd be real curious to know how many people actually tune in to the game web broadcasts. It could be so few people that they just don't care enough about it. Hard to say. I remember in the early days of these live streams ... the bigger the game the worse the feed was. The more people logged in ... the buffering and freezing never ended.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

One odd thing and a big disadvantage the IUP student broadcasters have is they -- again ... very oddly -- aren't watching the game live. They set them up in the concourse without a live view of the game (i.e. they call it off the closed circuit feed on their monitors). There are many instances in a game when things happen off camera. Sometimes when they seem 'lost' during the game ... I believe this is a direct reason. They can hear the crowd yelling or screaming but won't know why. Jack and Tony broadcast from the media table on the floor (and basically right beside Joe Lombardi). They can see and hear everything. IUP only has a media table on one side of the court ... so there isn't room for them down there. The setup you saw in the Regional last year with media on both sides isn't the norm.
                That's a real shame about the seating arrangements for your student announcing crew. When WLU's student broadcaster is calling the women's games, he's sitting about 3 feet away from Coach Cooper at a prime spot at the game operations table.

Comment

• I dont know if it's the lighting or the display on the tv, but IUPs away jersey colors look awful. Cant see theweiting or numbers, just looks like all jersey. Every once in a while I can see a faint hint of red. Is it that hard to see it in person or just the tv?

Comment

If I lived in the area I would get to more games. It's just hard when I'm 2.5 hours away so a five hour plus round trip doesn't always make sense with my schedule. The student answers call Armoni, "Armari Foster." It's annoying as hell when you don't even get your own teams names right. It's embarrassing actually. The easiest part of that job is getting the players names right. How hard would it be for those student announcers to approach one of the coaches or the player to make sure they get it right.
                    And nowadays most programs have pronunciation of the non standard last names.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post
                      I dont know if it's the lighting or the display on the tv, but IUPs away jersey colors look awful. Cant see theweiting or numbers, just looks like all jersey. Every once in a while I can see a faint hint of red. Is it that hard to see it in person or just the tv?
                      I think these are the worst IUP jerseys ever! They don't look good at all and you can barely read the HAWKS in the gray lettering on the home whites. I haven't even seen the road duds. Why did they change them from last year? I thought those looked pretty cool to be honest.

I've been saying it for more than a few years now-----they ought to adopt some variation of what the Atlanta Hawks wore back when Dominique Wilkins played for them. That would be an awesome look.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I think these are the worst IUP jerseys ever! They don't look good at all and you can barely read the HAWKS in the gray lettering on the home whites. I haven't even seen the road duds. Why did they change them from last year? I thought those looked pretty cool to be honest.

I've been saying it for more than a few years now-----they ought to adopt some variation of what the Atlanta Hawks wore back when Dominique Wilkins played for them. That would be an awesome look.

-
                        They switched when IUP went back to Nike this past off-season.

Comment

• IUP picked up a very nice road win, 78-74. It wasn't pretty at times but any win in Morrow in this series is a big one. To SRU's credit, it appeared IUP was going to pull away several times and the Rock kept coming back. Kudos to the IUP faithful in attendance. There were times the IUP crowd took over the gym.

Malik and Armoni both had 23 points ... and hit some amazingly clutch shots. Nice team night at the FT line hitting 18 of 22. Malik went 7-7 at the line -- including 4 massive FTs in the final minute.

IUP got blasted -- and I mean BLASTED -- on the glass ... 46 to 27. SRU had a tremendous size advantage. IUP's top two rebounders tonight were Malik and Armoni. That's life against a big team with no Demo. They offset it by turning the ball over just 6 times. Ethan was pretty solid offensively. The SRU frontcourt was a little overpowering on the glass.

Interesting Shawdale played just 14 minutes. He's not injured and is coming off his two best games of the year. I think in his forced 'power forward' role he's just too small to be effective among the SRU giants. Anthony White returned to the team and played a solid 15 minutes -- scoring 8 points and hitting two big treys.

It was the cleanest IUP vs SRU game I've seen in a decade -- certainly the past 5 years. The teams were cordial and respectful. Take Dante away and the kids play nice. LOL. Well, it's true.

SRU is a good team. They had their chances tonight late in the game. David Morris missed that layup ... I thought that was it. That was the omen. But, they recovered. SRU has played 5-6 games now with Till back. They are going to be a real treat for everybody the second time around as they gel with him and he gets in better shape.

It was a great game. Both teams played well enough to win.
                          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-08-2020, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            IUP picked up a very nice road win, 78-74. It wasn't pretty at times but any win in Morrow in this series is a big one. To SRU's credit, it appeared IUP was going to pull away several times and the Rock kept coming back. Kudos to the IUP faithful in attendance. There were times the IUP crowd took over the gym.

Malik and Armoni both had 23 points ... and hit some amazingly clutch shots. Nice team night at the FT line hitting 18 of 22. Malik went 7-7 at the line -- including 4 massive FTs in the final minute.

IUP got blasted -- and I mean BLASTED -- on the glass ... 46 to 27. SRU had a tremendous size advantage. IUP's top two rebounders tonight were Malik and Armoni. That's life against a big team with no Demo. They offset it by turning the ball over just 6 times. Ethan was pretty solid offensively. The SRU frontcourt was a little overpowering on the glass.

Interesting Shawdale played just 14 minutes. He's not injured and is coming off his two best games of the year. I think in his forced 'power forward' role he's just too small to be effective among the SRU giants. Anthony White returned to the team and played a solid 15 minutes -- scoring 8 points and hitting two big treys.

It was the cleanest IUP vs SRU game I've seen in a decade -- certainly the past 5 years. The teams were cordial and respectful. Take Dante away and the kids play nice. LOL. Well, it's true.

SRU is a good team. They had their chances tonight late in the game. David Morris missed that layup ... I thought that was it. That was the omen. But, they recovered. SRU has played 5-6 games now with Till back. They are going to be a real treat for everybody the second time around as they gel with him and he gets in better shape.

It was a great game. Both teams played well enough to win.
                            I was right there with you when Morris missed that layup. I thought there were some stretches where Porterfield looked really good tonight.

Comment

• A Slimey Pebble sweep last night.

As it should be.

Comment

• really, really

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X