Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Correct. The PSAC and the NCAA would always set the postseason ticket pricing for the conference and regional tourneys respectively. This was always welcomed in the early days of the KCAC as you could actually get in cheaper than normal KCAC pricing. But of course they found their way around that with the little extras. Actually, the $12 the KCAC charged to get into the men's region wasn't all that bad. That is probably about the price of their cheapest ticket they offer during the regular season or real close to it. I liked how it was general admission for the event. IUPBigIndians and I have been saying that is how it should be for years now. Maybe have the bottom tier reserved if you want to do that.

I recall the price of the 2008 women's Atlantic region hosted at the MFH was $5 to get in per night. But the damage has already been done with fans throughout the area regarding the KCAC. Many of them will avoid IUP basketball at all costs after everything.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      Regarding the posts about the KCAC attendance and fan support from IUPBigIndians, IUPalum, Chuck Norris, IUP24, and Eye of the Hawk--- I have to say that I fully concur here. But let's realize that the biggest problem why there are not more fans there to support the IUP teams is the KCAC management and the prices of IUP basketball games there.

I more or less harped on this very subject until I was blue in the face the past bunch of years. Trust me---the people of the surrounding Indiana area are completely unwilling to pay these prices. I have said that time and again. You see what it has done to the support of our teams in these big games when you all correctly surmised that there should indeed be a big and enthusiastic crowd there to lend their support. I'm personally finished with the subject. But there really does need to be some reforms in how the KCAC is run and how ticket prices are set. I think you all saw that first hand.

It's crazy when you can basically get into a Pitt game for close to the same price as a D-II game in a rural county. There is something really wrong with that.

And what happens in a few more years when the old guard finally is diminished by time and fate? I believe that I began attending IUP hoops games on a regular basis in 2002. I was astonished at how many good folks that we lost in my time as a fan there. Yeah, and the thing is that there is simply not enough of the younger generations to take their place. Things will only get worse from here out.

-

Comment

But like me and IUPBigIndians always laugh about----what was the actual PAID attendance for those games. LOL. Students would inflate the numbers some but so would churches and community organizations passing out scores of free tickets. Yes, this sort of thing does happen.

And like I said----the $12 to get in the door for the tourney event actually wasn't that bad considering usual pricing for the KCAC. You're correct---lots of games and not to mention quality teams.

My point is simply that the KCAC has alienated countless numbers of folks from around the area. Remember that one time we figured it out on this forum that for a family of four to attend a regular season game at the KCAC could cost in excess of $100+. Most local yocals are not interested in that.

-

Comment

Regarding the posts about the KCAC attendance and fan support from IUPBigIndians, IUPalum, Chuck Norris, IUP24, and Eye of the Hawk--- I have to say that I fully concur here. But let's realize that the biggest problem why there are not more fans there to support the IUP teams is the KCAC management and the prices of IUP basketball games there.

I more or less harped on this very subject until I was blue in the face the past bunch of years. Trust me---the people of the surrounding Indiana area are completely unwilling to pay these prices. I have said that time and again. You see what it has done to the support of our teams in these big games when you all correctly surmised that there should indeed be a big and enthusiastic crowd there to lend their support. I'm personally finished with the subject. But there really does need to be some reforms in how the KCAC is run and how ticket prices are set. I think you all saw that first hand.

It's crazy when you can basically get into a Pitt game for close to the same price as a D-II game in a rural county. There is something really wrong with that.

And what happens in a few more years when the old guard finally is diminished by time and fate? I believe that I began attending IUP hoops games on a regular basis in 2002. I was astonished at how many good folks that we lost in my time as a fan there. Yeah, and the thing is that there is simply not enough of the younger generations to take their place. Things will only get worse from here out.

-

Comment

Yeah, I'm guessing maybe around $12 or $13 or so for the cheapest. You can get Pitt tickets to see D-I teams for like $12-21.

I have no say in any of it----just merely trying to offer the explanation to some of these fellas on why folks don't want to come out and support the team like it should be supported.

-

Comment

• Iup basketball

Correct. The PSAC and the NCAA would always set the postseason ticket pricing for the conference and regional tourneys respectively. This was always welcomed in the early days of the KCAC as you could actually get in cheaper than normal KCAC pricing. But of course they found their way around that with the little extras. Actually, the $12 the KCAC charged to get into the men's region wasn't all that bad. That is probably about the price of their cheapest ticket they offer during the regular season or real close to it. I liked how it was general admission for the event. IUPBigIndians and I have been saying that is how it should be for years now. Maybe have the bottom tier reserved if you want to do that.

I recall the price of the 2008 women's Atlantic region hosted at the MFH was $5 to get in per night. But the damage has already been done with fans throughout the area regarding the KCAC. Many of them will avoid IUP basketball at all costs after everything.

-

Comment

I agree. I think one problem is that it was probably not realistic for IUP to build a 4,000 seat hoops arena and expect it to be filled up all the time. It's just not going to happen. There just usually isn't that high of a demand for the product. If they built a 40,000 seat football stadium it would be the same thing. It's been a problem for IUP down through the years. I just know that I have talked to numerous folks about the KCAC and they all have the same thing to say as what I am telling y'all. It's just way too pricey for their tastes.

Two falls ago I attended a Beach Boys concert at the KCAC and paid $43 for a ticket. You know what---I would probably have been happy to pay twice that and it would have been worth every cent of it. D-II sports just don't seem to have much of a value to the general local population. $17 to get into an absolute dump of a football stadium or $12-$15 to see a D-II hoops game just isn't a real big hit.

Your hoops thing you go to sounds pretty cool. I'll bet you are seeing tons of D-I talent. Probably worth every cent of the $15. I mentioned in the D-I thread about watching the Christian Brown of Oak Hill Academy highlights and believe me I would probably be willing to pay $20-$30 to see him hoop. D-II talent just doesn't have the same value to me. I'd personally be willing to go $8 for a cheap seat at the KCAC for IUP regular season games. No more than that. Just how I feel whether I be right or wrong on the matter.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                  I agree. I think one problem is that it was probably not realistic for IUP to build a 4,000 seat hoops arena and expect it to be filled up all the time. It's just not going to happen. There just usually isn't that high of a demand for the product. If they built a 40,000 seat football stadium it would be the same thing. It's been a problem for IUP down through the years. I just know that I have talked to numerous folks about the KCAC and they all have the same thing to say as what I am telling y'all. It's just way too pricey for their tastes.

Two falls ago I attended a Beach Boys concert at the KCAC and paid $43 for a ticket. You know what---I would probably have been happy to pay twice that and it would have been worth every cent of it. D-II sports just don't seem to have much of a value to the general local population. $17 to get into an absolute dump of a football stadium or $12-$15 to see a D-II hoops game just isn't a real big hit.

Your hoops thing you go to sounds pretty cool. I'll bet you are seeing tons of D-I talent. Probably worth every cent of the $15. I mentioned in the D-I thread about watching the Christian Brown of Oak Hill Academy highlights and believe me I would probably be willing to pay $20-$30 to see him hoop. D-II talent just doesn't have the same value to me. I'd personally be willing to go $8 for a cheap seat at the KCAC for IUP regular season games. No more than that. Just how I feel whether I be right or wrong on the matter.

-

Comment

Comment

That is true. The sad thing is that IUP actually attracted more in the way of quality artists through their OnStage program that basically was abandoned when the KCAC opened. I always thought that was kind of ironic.

-

Comment

Yeah, I'm guessing maybe around $12 or $13 or so for the cheapest. You can get Pitt tickets to see D-I teams for like $12-21.

I have no say in any of it----just merely trying to offer the explanation to some of these fellas on why folks don't want to come out and support the team like it should be supported.

-

Comment

Not getting in the middle here but are you buying those from Pitt or from the secondary market (Stubhub, etc.)?

Comment

The item I hear all the time (and I haven't missed a home game in years and live in Indiana) is that people feel it's way too high once you start talking about bringing the whole family.

Family of 4-5 and your at $50-$65 in tickets plus consessions, etc.

To what I'll call the casual fan, it's not worth it -- in their opinion -- to spend that on a 'D2' game.

Maybe they do it once a year. But, certainly not routinely.

To me, it's worth it. I think the cost of four premium season tickets is a steal.

But, I'm a big fan of the team and product so I see that differently.

Average person around here ... in all honesty ... doesn't.

My last (yearly) comment when this discussion comes up:

Take away the basketball, and the actual game day enviornment at the KCAC is near awful. Putrid, actually.

Fancy arena, sure. But, the entertainment is geared toward, well, the old crowd. Kiss cam is funny. But, stale. Hairy man ... same. It's bingo hall stuff.

I don't need sold on glitz and glamour. I'm there for the game. Big problem is there aren't many like me in the crowd -- especially in the, well, non- 60s & 70s age demographic.

They have the ability to make that a show in there.

* Turn the lights off for player intro's

* Tell the PA Announcer to SHUT THE BEEP UP when the players make their court entrance. Crank the music like D1 does. Instead we get low music and public service announcements.

* The in-game music is beyond a lost cause. It's a college game. Not a polka at the Clymer VFD. Glenville tonight was playing lively, pump up music. Motion creates emotion.

* Use the video board. Show replays. Play movie clips to pump the crowd.

* The seating is a mess. Get rid of reserved seats on both sides. The benches' side, which you all see on the live feeds, is horrendously quiet. The student section is too far removed from the action. The reserved seats also spread the typical 1,400 crowd out way too far apart.

* Get a lively in-game announcer. I wanna hear the guy who does the tttthhhhhhrrrreeeee after big shots. Emotion.

Being honest, the overall experience isn't enough to attract students. I know the game is very high quality. Frankly, they don't care. The game is the afterthought. They need entertained.

Yesterday. IUP warming up to Chris DeBurg. WTF ???????? We at the prom or a big game?

Next year they can come out to Barry Manilow and Frankie Valli.

And, don't forget the ultimate Catch 22 in this conversation. We have this fancy venue and can buy these fancy players ... with the big donations from whom? Yep. The same crowd that prefers the current product and lame enviornment. Money talks.

You'll see the one-off game a year pack the place. Seton Hill got almost 4,000 this year. But, on average 1,400 is the number. Yearly. Unless many things change .... guess what? Next year it will be 1,400 and we'll have this same conversation.
                            Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-18-2019, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              Not getting in the middle here but are you buying those from Pitt or from the secondary market (Stubhub, etc.)?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                The item I hear all the time (and I haven't missed a home game in years and live in Indiana) is that people feel it's way too high once you start talking about bringing the whole family.

Family of 4-5 and your at $50-$65 in tickets plus consessions, etc.

To what I'll call the casual fan, it's not worth it -- in their opinion -- to spend that on a 'D2' game.

Maybe they do it once a year. But, certainly not routinely.

To me, it's worth it. I think the cost of four premium season tickets is a steal.

But, I'm a big fan of the team and product so I see that differently.

Average person around here ... in all honesty ... doesn't.

My last (yearly) comment when this discussion comes up:

Take away the basketball, and the actual game day enviornment at the KCAC is near awful. Putrid, actually.

Fancy arena, sure. But, the entertainment is geared toward, well, the old crowd. Kiss cam is funny. But, stale. Hairy man ... same. It's bingo hall stuff.

I don't need sold on glitz and glamour. I'm there for the game. Big problem is there aren't many like me in the crowd -- especially in the, well, non- 60s & 70s age demographic.

They have the ability to make that a show in there.

* Turn the lights off for player intro's

* Tell the PA Announcer to SHUT THE BEEP UP when the players make their court entrance. Crank the music like D1 does. Instead we get low music and public service announcements.

* The in-game music is beyond a lost cause. It's a college game. Not a polka at the Clymer VFD. Glenville tonight was playing lively, pump up music. Motion creates emotion.

* Use the video board. Show replays. Play movie clips to pump the crowd.

* The seating is a mess. Get rid of reserved seats on both sides. The benches' side, which you all see on the live feeds, is horrendously quiet. The student section is too far removed from the action. The reserved seats also spread the typical 1,400 crowd out way too far apart.

* Get a lively in-game announcer. I wanna hear the guy who does the tttthhhhhhrrrreeeee after big shots. Emotion.

Being honest, the overall experience isn't enough to attract students. I know the game is very high quality. Frankly, they don't care. The game is the afterthought. They need entertained.

Yesterday. IUP warming up to Chris DeBurg. WTF ???????? We at the prom or a big game?

Next year they can come out to Barry Manilow and Frankie Valli.

And, don't forget the ultimate Catch 22 in this conversation. We have this fancy venue and can buy these fancy players ... with the big donations from whom? Yep. The same crowd that prefers the current product and lame enviornment. Money talks.

You'll see the one-off game a year pack the place. Seton Hill got almost 4,000 this year. But, on average 1,400 is the number. Yearly. Unless many things change .... guess what? Next year it will be 1,400 and we'll have this same conversation.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X