Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

THis is an interesting point. Percentage of female students has increased significantly, and they are less likely to be fans of the sports teams. I'd bet that the male students are also less likely to be sports participants and so are not interested in the college level sports. I wonder how many participate in intramural basketball. That used to be a huge thing. How many pickup games do you see at the gym any more ?

I can't argue with any of the points about game time atmosphere, but I don't think any changes will get you more than a few hundred increase on average. The huge crowd at Seton Hill had to do with the faith night church service after the game.

The IUP attendance is pretty good compared to other D2 schools, considering the size of the local population.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
      THis is an interesting point. Percentage of female students has increased significantly, and they are less likely to be fans of the sports teams. I'd bet that the male students are also less likely to be sports participants and so are not interested in the college level sports. I wonder how many participate in intramural basketball. That used to be a huge thing. How many pickup games do you see at the gym any more ?

I can't argue with any of the points about game time atmosphere, but I don't think any changes will get you more than a few hundred increase on average. The huge crowd at Seton Hill had to do with the faith night church service after the game.

The IUP attendance is pretty good compared to other D2 schools, considering the size of the local population.
      Why would they want to play in an intermural basketball game when they can sit in their room and PLAY NBA 2K19?? Heck, if you "win" 100 NBA 2K19 games, you eligible to be "drafted" into the NBA 2K eLeague and you can "go pro" and earn a base salary of $32,000 for six months of "work!" Puffffffff...Playing in an actual basketball game is sooooooo 90's!!

Oh, FYI, an actual PLAYER in the G League (the guys that actually dribble basketballs and shoot real baskets) make $35,000 per year!
      Last edited by boatcapt; 03-19-2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Yeah, but what will be the reaction if WL/Mercy has a bigger gate tonight than IUP/Mercy did?

It would be sad ... but I'd laugh like crazy. I don't see them getting near 1,500 tonight but you never know. Neither school is that far away. I think, driving, WL is actually a hair closer to IUP than Mercyhurst. Let's be honest ... 1,500 is a weak number.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Yeah, but what will be the reaction if WL/Mercy has a bigger gate tonight than IUP/Mercy did?

It would be sad ... but I'd laugh like crazy. I don't see them getting near 1,500 tonight but you never know. Neither school is that far away. I think, driving, WL is actually a hair closer to IUP than Mercyhurst. Let's be honest ... 1,500 is a weak number.
          I predict tonights official gate will be 200 and about 195 of them will be WLU fans. That's what unfortunately happens when the host school in not in the finals.

Comment

Spotted on the IUP bench the second half of the year as a volunteer assistant: JR Bremer. Joe recruited him to St. Bonaventure back in the early 2000s and he went on to play for a handful of NBA teams (averaged 8 points and made second team All-Rookie with Boston in 02-03) and then overseas.

In recent years there's been no shortage of big-time professional and college experience on the bench as volunteer assistants (Brandon Spain, Tevin Hanner, Brett Comer from Dunk City).

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              I predict tonights official gate will be 200 and about 195 of them will be WLU fans. That's what unfortunately happens when the host school in not in the finals.
              Mercyhurst has 3 full buses on the way! They were working on the 4th.

Comment

The item I hear all the time (and I haven't missed a home game in years and live in Indiana) is that people feel it's way too high once you start talking about bringing the whole family.

Family of 4-5 and your at $50-$65 in tickets plus consessions, etc.

To what I'll call the casual fan, it's not worth it -- in their opinion -- to spend that on a 'D2' game.

Maybe they do it once a year. But, certainly not routinely.

To me, it's worth it. I think the cost of four premium season tickets is a steal.

But, I'm a big fan of the team and product so I see that differently.

Average person around here ... in all honesty ... doesn't.

My last (yearly) comment when this discussion comes up:

Take away the basketball, and the actual game day enviornment at the KCAC is near awful. Putrid, actually.

Fancy arena, sure. But, the entertainment is geared toward, well, the old crowd. Kiss cam is funny. But, stale. Hairy man ... same. It's bingo hall stuff.

I don't need sold on glitz and glamour. I'm there for the game. Big problem is there aren't many like me in the crowd -- especially in the, well, non- 60s & 70s age demographic.

They have the ability to make that a show in there.

* Turn the lights off for player intro's

* Tell the PA Announcer to SHUT THE BEEP UP when the players make their court entrance. Crank the music like D1 does. Instead we get low music and public service announcements.

* The in-game music is beyond a lost cause. It's a college game. Not a polka at the Clymer VFD. Glenville tonight was playing lively, pump up music. Motion creates emotion.

* Use the video board. Show replays. Play movie clips to pump the crowd.

* The seating is a mess. Get rid of reserved seats on both sides. The benches' side, which you all see on the live feeds, is horrendously quiet. The student section is too far removed from the action. The reserved seats also spread the typical 1,400 crowd out way too far apart.

* Get a lively in-game announcer. I wanna hear the guy who does the tttthhhhhhrrrreeeee after big shots. Emotion.

Being honest, the overall experience isn't enough to attract students. I know the game is very high quality. Frankly, they don't care. The game is the afterthought. They need entertained.

Yesterday. IUP warming up to Chris DeBurg. WTF ???????? We at the prom or a big game?

Next year they can come out to Barry Manilow and Frankie Valli.

And, don't forget the ultimate Catch 22 in this conversation. We have this fancy venue and can buy these fancy players ... with the big donations from whom? Yep. The same crowd that prefers the current product and lame enviornment. Money talks.

You'll see the one-off game a year pack the place. Seton Hill got almost 4,000 this year. But, on average 1,400 is the number. Yearly. Unless many things change .... guess what? Next year it will be 1,400 and we'll have this same conversation.
                You nailed it! That's everything I was thinking when I went off about the IUP fans/atmosphere Monday morning. I just didn't detail it as well as you! PERFECT!

Comment

WL is just over two hours, Mercy is 2 1/2 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                    But like me and IUPBigIndians always laugh about----what was the actual PAID attendance for those games. LOL. Students would inflate the numbers some but so would churches and community organizations passing out scores of free tickets. Yes, this sort of thing does happen.

And like I said----the $12 to get in the door for the tourney event actually wasn't that bad considering usual pricing for the KCAC. You're correct---lots of games and not to mention quality teams.

My point is simply that the KCAC has alienated countless numbers of folks from around the area. Remember that one time we figured it out on this forum that for a family of four to attend a regular season game at the KCAC could cost in excess of $100+. Most local yocals are not interested in that.

-

The big gate this year for Seton Hill was IUP Employee Night at the KCAC -- any employee of the university got in free (with stacks of free tickets being handed out for their family members as well). Ironically, that was the biggest -- yet second worst -- crowd of the year. It was so dull in there that night. It wasn't a basketball crowd -- put it that way. The NCAA loss to Mercyhurst was probably the worst -- although they had nothing to cheer about. But, as Chuck said, just the actual turnout was tremendously disappointing.

It's a good yearly topic for us to yap about when the season ends but nothing is going to change. The fear is ... 60 percent of that regular crowd is getting older by the day.

The league isn't done any favors, either, by the PASSHE holiday break lasting for an eternity. Add to it IUP also hosts that yearly weekend tournament over Thanksgiving break. Two more games to throw away attendance-wise.

IUP has an extremely loyal core group. They could play at 2 a.m. and they'd get the same 1,100 fans. Problem is the arena seats upward of 4,000.

Comment

The big gate this year for Seton Hill was IUP Employee Night at the KCAC -- any employee of the university got in free (with stacks of free tickets being handed out for their family members as well). Ironically, that was the biggest -- yet second worst -- crowd of the year. It was so dull in there that night. It wasn't a basketball crowd -- put it that way. The NCAA loss to Mercyhurst was probably the worst -- although they had nothing to cheer about. But, as Chuck said, just the actual turnout was tremendously disappointing.

It's a good yearly topic for us to yap about when the season ends but nothing is going to change. The fear is ... 60 percent of that regular crowd is getting older by the day.

The league isn't done any favors, either, by the PASSHE holiday break lasting for an eternity. Add to it IUP also hosts that yearly weekend tournament over Thanksgiving break. Two more games to throw away attendance-wise.

IUP has an extremely loyal core group. They could play at 2 a.m. and they'd get the same 1,100 fans. Problem is the arena seats upward of 4,000.

Comment

Yeah ... it was ... lively in there last night. It actually felt like a college basketball game.

My post the other day mentioned the crowd being too spread out inside the KCAC. Last night was the opposite. You saw the Mercyhurst students right on the floor (and not buried in the corner). That was a huge change.

I told myself all day I didn't want to go but ended up going. Glad I did.

I'll say this for whatever it's worth: Best atmosphere at IUP this whole year, by far, was the win over Shippensburg in the Field House. Not. Even. Close.

Comment

• Last edited by EyeoftheHawk; 03-21-2019, 06:48 PM.

Comment

No disrespect to you at all, Eye of the Hawk, but I really feel that is inappropriate to put that on here. I think that it's best to just stay out of the coaches and players personal lives. I understand why you would post it but a young man just made a mistake. Not felony worthy and no one's life was endangered. Apologize for my comments. You have always been a good dude. Just don't think that should be on here, that's all. I just don't feel comfortable with that type of discourse. Maybe I'm in the minority here on the matter.

-

Comment

Need context. What is the date on the newspaper?

Comment

Seventh Street Sheetz strikes again. (I just looked it up on Google Maps and it's actually listed as 768 Wayne Ave. Maybe it changed mailing addresses when it got rebuilt.)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X