X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Legit question
    Even if its a fun rumor to talk about every spring, what are logical destinations? St. Francis made the NIT and play a 17-15 Indiana team in the first round, so their coach could be up for a promotion. St. Bonaventure's Mark Schmidt won an NCAA game last year and nearly made it back to the big dance starting four freshmen, so there's worry in Allegany, N.Y., he could finally be on the way out. Those are just two spots where Joe has roots. His salary in 2019, according to PennWatch, was $166,750 and Schmidt's at Bonas (which is based mostly on donations) is more than $800K, so the incentive to level-up is there. But how many programs are going to want to spice up their basketball program with an older coach who has won zero games at the Division 1 level?

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Wait, are you saying Bravado Joe coaching next year is in doubt? Maybe he could follow Crutch to the Sunshine State Conference. Rumor is that Palm Beach Atlantic might be in the market!
      No. He wouldn't leave for another job at this point. I was asking if anybody thought he'd retire. Many saw this as a possibility with Dante leaving.

I have no inside information. Was just curious what others thought.

Comment

No. He wouldn't leave for another job at this point. I was asking if anybody thought he'd retire. Many saw this as a possibility with Dante leaving.

I have no inside information. Was just curious what others thought.
        Hahahaha...I remember someone asking a couple of years ago if Crutch would ever leave WLU. The answer was a resounding NO...unless a quality D1 made him an offer he just couldn't refuse.

How'd THAT work out for us self described "experts??!!"

As someone who said he would NEVER retire to Florida...When you get a couple of miles on you and it starts taking longer and longer to get the old body moving on a cold winter day, the warm weather and sunshine look pretty good when your watching the Weather Channel as you get ready to shovel the driveway!!! And you know what, it IS!!!!!!!

Comment

• Comment

IUP is a tough job to walk away from at his age. Compensation-wise it has to be near the top of D2. He's a celebrity of sorts in a small town. He has everything in place to win 24 games a year. He's older now but still not that old. Some have said this was the logical time he may wrap it up (with Dante leaving). I think if he stays this off-season then he will go another 3-4 years .. make one more build-up.

They have enough coming back next year, plus two more scholarships to likely give to two transfers this off-season, that they should compete for the PSAC again next year. Unless the transfers are home runs, I don't think they'll have a roster to go further than that, however.

Comment

IUP is a tough job to walk away from at his age. Compensation-wise it has to be near the top of D2. He's a celebrity of sorts in a small town. He has everything in place to win 24 games a year. He's older now but still not that old. Some have said this was the logical time he may wrap it up (with Dante leaving). I think if he stays this off-season then he will go another 3-4 years .. make one more build-up.

They have enough coming back next year, plus two more scholarships to likely give to two transfers this off-season, that they should compete for the PSAC again next year. Unless the transfers are home runs, I don't think they'll have a roster to go further than that, however.
              I would assume he is vested for a PA State retirement so really he's working for the Delta between his retirement pay and his actual salary. If he got a salary in a new location that either matched or was close to matching his current salary, he would in effect be giving himself a pay raise. I'm told that retirement from private universities kind of mirror an equivalent state employee (at least in FL). In my current position, as a former fed/state employee, I am vested for a portion of a FL State retirement after one year and get a "full" FL State retirement after 8 years.

When I was thinking about going back to work for the state of FL, I had to run the numbers about four times to convince myself what I was coming up with was actually correct. And after I started, I found a couple of former feds like me and asked if my numbers were right. They both grinned and said, "Kind of cool, ain't it!"

Add on top of that the lack of state/county/local income tax and it makes taking and early retirement, moving to FL and starting a second mini career almost a no brainer.
              Last edited by boatcapt; 03-18-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

One season ends. The next begins.

Known roster as of now for 2019-20:

Guards

Malik Miller
                Armoni Foster
                KJ Rhodes
                Bryce Radford
                Anthony White
                Drew Danscecs

Dom Keyes
                Shawn Ulrich
                Chucky Humphries
                Ethan Porterfield
                Alan Glover Jr.

I count (7) scholarships there. So, Joe likely has 3 full rides to give. White has earned at least a partial in my opinion.

I'd add one guard and one post transfer for sure. Ready to play, Day 1 guys. The last one could go either way.

This assumes Keyes finally appears. By all accounts he is returning.

Comment

• Comment

This year no issues. Last year different story.

Comment

• Comment

One season ends. The next begins.

Known roster as of now for 2019-20:

Guards

Malik Miller
                        Armoni Foster
                        KJ Rhodes
                        Bryce Radford
                        Anthony White
                        Drew Danscecs

Dom Keyes
                        Shawn Ulrich
                        Chucky Humphries
                        Ethan Porterfield
                        Alan Glover Jr.

I count (7) scholarships there. So, Joe likely has 3 full rides to give. White has earned at least a partial in my opinion.

I'd add one guard and one post transfer for sure. Ready to play, Day 1 guys. The last one could go either way.

This assumes Keyes finally appears. By all accounts he is returning.
                        I like what I see... I really think Anthony White could see more minutes next year. He won't be a key cog but minutes off the bench to give rest or fill in for foul troubles.

Is Ulrich as good as I'm hearing?

Is Dom Keyes even around the team? Didn't see him at any recent games.

On film Radford looks like Dante.

Porterfield has been on fire during the HS playoffs. He could fill a Cobo role.

What do we know about Glover? Anything?

Danscecs can shoot but his D needs a lot of work. Is he good enough?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                          I like what I see... I really think Anthony White could see more minutes next year. He won't be a key cog but minutes off the bench to give rest or fill in for foul troubles.

Is Ulrich as good as I'm hearing?

Is Dom Keyes even around the team? Didn't see him at any recent games.

On film Radford looks like Dante.

Porterfield has been on fire during the HS playoffs. He could fill a Cobo role.

What do we know about Glover? Anything?

Danscecs can shoot but his D needs a lot of work. Is he good enough?
                          Glover is a walk-on. Big dude but I don't know much about him. We'll see if Dansces returns.

Comment

Glover is a walk-on. Big dude but I don't know much about him. We'll see if Dansces returns.
                            Is there word that Dancses might not come back? I know there is usually turn over after every season.

Comment

Regarding the posts about the KCAC attendance and fan support from IUPBigIndians, IUPalum, Chuck Norris, IUP24, and Eye of the Hawk--- I have to say that I fully concur here. But let's realize that the biggest problem why there are not more fans there to support the IUP teams is the KCAC management and the prices of IUP basketball games there.

I more or less harped on this very subject until I was blue in the face the past bunch of years. Trust me---the people of the surrounding Indiana area are completely unwilling to pay these prices. I have said that time and again. You see what it has done to the support of our teams in these big games when you all correctly surmised that there should indeed be a big and enthusiastic crowd there to lend their support. I'm personally finished with the subject. But there really does need to be some reforms in how the KCAC is run and how ticket prices are set. I think you all saw that first hand.

It's crazy when you can basically get into a Pitt game for close to the same price as a D-II game in a rural county. There is something really wrong with that.

And what happens in a few more years when the old guard finally is diminished by time and fate? I believe that I began attending IUP hoops games on a regular basis in 2002. I was astonished at how many good folks that we lost in my time as a fan there. Yeah, and the thing is that there is simply not enough of the younger generations to take their place. Things will only get worse from here out.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                                Regarding the posts about the KCAC attendance and fan support from IUPBigIndians, IUPalum, Chuck Norris, IUP24, and Eye of the Hawk--- I have to say that I fully concur here. But let's realize that the biggest problem why there are not more fans there to support the IUP teams is the KCAC management and the prices of IUP basketball games there.

I more or less harped on this very subject until I was blue in the face the past bunch of years. Trust me---the people of the surrounding Indiana area are completely unwilling to pay these prices. I have said that time and again. You see what it has done to the support of our teams in these big games when you all correctly surmised that there should indeed be a big and enthusiastic crowd there to lend their support. I'm personally finished with the subject. But there really does need to be some reforms in how the KCAC is run and how ticket prices are set. I think you all saw that first hand.

It's crazy when you can basically get into a Pitt game for close to the same price as a D-II game in a rural county. There is something really wrong with that.

And what happens in a few more years when the old guard finally is diminished by time and fate? I believe that I began attending IUP hoops games on a regular basis in 2002. I was astonished at how many good folks that we lost in my time as a fan there. Yeah, and the thing is that there is simply not enough of the younger generations to take their place. Things will only get worse from here out.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X