Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Who wins between Joe's two national finalist teams?

Comment

Don't forget Sanders was the 6th guy on that 2010 team. Kevin Stewart was the starting PG. So now you have Sanders shooting ability coming off the bench. The 2015 team didn't have that scoring on their bench. Stewart could defend hard and that would've given Chance fits.

Comment

That 2014-15 team was pretty remarkable considering it didn't even win the West, and went 1-2 that year against both Gannon and Mercyhurst. Also had losses at Slippery Rock and at Edinboro. Of course, it shows how strong the West was that year.

I remember it took a long, long time for them to seem to really figure out how to incorporate Dyer. Once it clicked they really took off.

I recall the painful ride home from Erie after the PSAC Championship game ... still don't know how he hit that shot at the end. Then a week later the total opposite feeling riding home from West Liberty. I can remember they controlled the Azusa Pacific game pretty well although the score was close. Then Daddy and Dyer went nuts on Tarleton State. Remember in the national title game ... that kid from Florida Southern hit about 7 treys in what seemed like the first 3 minutes.

I always think back to Slippery Rock shocking Gannon in Round 1 of the NCAAs down at WL -- after Gannon went 3-0 against them in the regular season (with some lopsided scores). I can't help but laugh when I think of the WL fans in the stands that day (that was the 3pm game) ... watching GU/SRU had to be culture shock compared to the pace they are used to seeing.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          That 2014-15 team was pretty remarkable considering it didn't even win the West, and went 1-2 that year against both Gannon and Mercyhurst. Also had losses at Slippery Rock and at Edinboro. Of course, it shows how strong the West was that year.

I remember it took a long, long time for them to seem to really figure out how to incorporate Dyer. Once it clicked they really took off.

I recall the painful ride home from Erie after the PSAC Championship game ... still don't know how he hit that shot at the end. Then a week later the total opposite feeling riding home from West Liberty. I can remember they controlled the Azusa Pacific game pretty well although the score was close. Then Daddy and Dyer went nuts on Tarleton State. Remember in the national title game ... that kid from Florida Southern hit about 7 treys in what seemed like the first 3 minutes.

I always think back to Slippery Rock shocking Gannon in Round 1 of the NCAAs down at WL -- after Gannon went 3-0 against them in the regular season (with some lopsided scores). I can't help but laugh when I think of the WL fans in the stands that day (that was the 3pm game) ... watching GU/SRU had to be culture shock compared to the pace they are used to seeing.

Comment

Here's a late July topic:

The All-Kanaskie team

The All-Edwards team

The All-Lombardi team

In honor of Joe you can pick an 8-man rotation. No bench.

Don't discount Team Edwards. It's going to be pretty good.

Comment

The All-Kanaskie team

The All-Edwards team

The All-Lombardi team

Shouldn't it be the All-Edwards state pen team???

Comment

The All-Kanaskie team

The All-Edwards team

The All-Lombardi team

Does anyone remember the Carl Davis 1981 team?

Comment

We watched the Tarleton State game huddled around the sports editor's computer in The Penn office of the HUB. I remember Joe -- who rarely gets technicals for all the abuse he gives refs -- got his first tech of the season. IUP turned a big deficit into a big lead (I just looked up the play-by-play; A 45-35 deficit turned into a 58-51 lead over the course of eight minutes) and never looked back. Also, this great tweet from IUP President Michael Driscoll: "Tarleton State cheer squad came out with flags arranged to spell TEXNAS. Hm."

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                    Lol

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                      I'm not old enough/enough of an IUP fan to do anyone but a Lombardi team.

F - Darryl Webb
                      F - Marcel Souberbielle
                      G - Thomas Young
                      G - Ashton Smith
                      G - Brandon Norfleet
                      6th man - Julian Sanders
                      Reserve guard - Devante Chance
                      Reserve forward - Cobo Diaz

OK, two observations. 1.) Has Cobo had a better career than Marcel? If not, what more does he have to do his senior year (besides wearing a mask -- Marcel got battered around almost as much as Dante) to catch up or pass him? 2.) I put Norfleet instead of Dyer since he was there for three years. He also -- quietly -- is No. 4 on the all-time scoring list. Sure, he was a bit of a volume shooter and 353 points added from his time at Cheyney running and gunning, but still I didn't realize he was that high up there.

Comment

Cobo vs Marcel is interesting. Story not all told yet, however, as you say.

Marcel doesn't get the love he probably deserves. He had some awfully big games here.

No Mathis Keita or Anthony Glover? Tough choices to make.

Comment

Edwards era (from memory ... probably will forget somebody obvious):

PG - DeWayne Anthony or Wes Layton. Tough call.

G - Rodney Horton

F - Dennis Mims
                          F - Mike Beckles
                          F - Steve Menifee

Bench
                          G - Keenan Holmes
                          G - Geoff Evans
                          G - Sly McIntosh

Comment

Edwards era (from memory ... probably will forget somebody obvious):

PG - DeWayne Anthony or Wes Layton. Tough call.

G - Rodney Horton

F - Dennis Mims
                            F - Mike Beckles
                            F - Steve Menifee

Bench
                            G - Keenan Holmes
                            G - Geoff Evans
                            G - Sly McIntosh
                            Probably need Ayyub Ali on there somewhere. Eddie Peterson was good but he was such an absolute beep for what he did that he does not deserve nor warrant the mention.

-

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                                I'm not old enough/enough of an IUP fan to do anyone but a Lombardi team.

F - Darryl Webb
                                F - Marcel Souberbielle
                                G - Thomas Young
                                G - Ashton Smith
                                G - Brandon Norfleet
                                6th man - Julian Sanders
                                Reserve guard - Devante Chance
                                Reserve forward - Cobo Diaz

OK, two observations. 1.) Has Cobo had a better career than Marcel? If not, what more does he have to do his senior year (besides wearing a mask -- Marcel got battered around almost as much as Dante) to catch up or pass him? 2.) I put Norfleet instead of Dyer since he was there for three years. He also -- quietly -- is No. 4 on the all-time scoring list. Sure, he was a bit of a volume shooter and 353 points added from his time at Cheyney running and gunning, but still I didn't realize he was that high up there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X