Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Yeah, there is some drama but it isn't the end of the world. Morrow going was probably addition by subtraction. Joe probably saw the writing on the wall once he got on campus. I can't fault Keyes, anyone one of us has been behind the wheel after drinking and could've been caught. This team is still one of the teams to beat in this region. Joe will get these guys playing and winning!

Comment

• Re: Iup basketball

Happy that your father is safe

Comment

The Board of Governors of the State System of Higher Education is holding its quarterly meetings on Wednesday and Thursday at the KCAC. An interesting note from the WCCS story, there's a proposed revision that would allow individual schools to set their academic schedules, giving leeway for winter break. Currently, I believe winter break at all State System schools is five weeks.

The proposed revision would grant them a two-week window in which to begin their academic year. It comes at the request of several universities and the PSAC, the athletic conference of which all schools are members. The calendar change would also grant the schools flexibility in setting the winter break, from as little as three weeks to as many as five.
        From that, it seems on the surface the PSAC wants fewer games played during times when classes aren't in session. I don't know how anyone would argue against that logic. But let's be real, the real reason here is probably IUP and Cal and the other schools are tired of games being played between mid-December and the third week of January in front of 400 fans.

http://wccsradio.com/state-system-go...iup-this-week/

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
          The Board of Governors of the State System of Higher Education is holding its quarterly meetings on Wednesday and Thursday at the KCAC. An interesting note from the WCCS story, there's a proposed revision that would allow individual schools to set their academic schedules, giving leeway for winter break. Currently, I believe winter break at all State System schools is five weeks.

From that, it seems on the surface the PSAC wants fewer games played during times when classes aren't in session. I don't know how anyone would argue against that logic. But let's be real, the real reason here is probably IUP and Cal and the other schools are tired of games being played between mid-December and the third week of January in front of 400 fans.

It's awful. I forget exactly what year it was ... maybe 2016 ... that IUP went like 8 weeks between home games with students on campus.

It really just sucks for everybody. No students, cheerleaders, dance teams, pep bands, ... just an awful 6 weeks of basketball atmospheres. Most importantly, the league is losing a ton of money. Take the KCAC with its bars, etc. You know how much money they lose playing break games compared to non-break games? Huge amounts of revenue.

IUP is lucky they at least have a big townie following and still manage to get 800 to 1,000 in for those games. I've seen numbers from other schools getting less than 100 people for holiday break games. Granted, those 800 to 1,000 make no noise.

On top of it, the league is playing some of its best games over break -- best games as in rivalries that bring in big gates ($$$). IUP is in the rotation with Gannon and SRU over break. Terrible.

The years SRU has to host IUP over break is a huge loss for them. Morrow Field House gets one huge crowd a year and it's IUP night. This year IUP visits there in early January -- and IUP will have a larger crowd there than SRU due to the break.

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post

Comment

Comment

I believe winter break was six weeks during the 2012-13 academic year. I was a freshman. It was incredibly long. Pitt and Penn State branches, I believe, get out the same weekend in December as the state schools, but they go back the week after New Year's.

The only thing I can see standing in the way of this happening is someone could say the amount it will cost to heat buildings to livable temperatures in early January would be too much. Spring sports (baseball, softball, track) already go beyond spring finals week as the schedule stands now, so much wouldn't change if the schools decided to shorten winter break and then hold spring graduation in the month of April instead of the second week of May. (Though, there may be more umbrellas on hand if that's the case.)

Comment

The Shippensburg game (Dec. 8) will be played at Memorial Field House.

All other home games will be inside the KCAC.

Comment

Kentucky is showing up as No. 1 in numerous preseason polls.

IUP's visit to Rupp is about 3 weeks out.

The big positive is Concord and Virginia State won't seem very athletic after this roadtrip.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The big positive is Concord and Virginia State won't seem very athletic after this roadtrip.
                      The Kentucky game is what last years team needed going into the weekend against Ferris St and Findlay. They get that one D1 exhibition and I think they would've faired better that first weekend. I'm not saying winning both but maybe a split and not getting blow off the court!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                        The Kentucky game is what last years team needed going into the weekend against Ferris St and Findlay. They get that one D1 exhibition and I think they would've faired better that first weekend. I'm not saying winning both but maybe a split and not getting blow off the court!
                        No doubt. Findlay played three prior to that game and IUP played none. It was obvious. Oddly the next night they had Ferris beat and had the lead with about 30 seconds left before losing.

I wish they'd have played Pitt this year. They would have had a legit shot in that one.

UPJ is playing Pitt and St. Francis. Clarion is playing Drexel and Norfolk State.

SRU usually plays a D1 or two but I haven't seen any announced.

But to your point ... with the way Joe's roster is that rotation is basically practicing against all walk-ons. That only goes so far before you see a team that punches back.

Comment

I'll say one thing ... they best be treating these first two games like Game 7's. I don't want to hear the "it's early" crap anymore. Playing these games has cost them two of the past three dances.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            I'll say one thing ... they best be treating these first two games like Game 7's. I don't want to hear the "it's early" crap anymore. Playing these games has cost them two of the past three dances.
                            Why would ANYONE still drink the Kool-Aid of these guys? Beyond me! Top five team my azz! Get ready for mo of the same.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                                Why would ANYONE still drink the Kool-Aid of these guys? Beyond me! Top five team my azz! Get ready for mo of the same.

-

They're going to be very strong right up until the first guard injury. Then, Groundhog Day starts.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X