Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    It is maddening to see talent not utilized because of redshirts, but when has a player who was redshirted left IUP and gone on to success? Before Dom Keyes, it was Jeremy Bonifacio or Travis Tomer Jeremiah Nkumsah -- guys who who came into the program, had a lot of talent, reshirted and then left. Maybe all of their skill was increased from some YouTube highlights then relayed onto this board. I'm inclined to think if they would have been assets to the program, Joe would have used them somehow. I'm also inclined to think if down the road they would be assets, they would still be with the program. But they left for likely various reasons and none have really gone on to noteworthy basketball success.

I'm talking impact players at this or higher level. A prime example would be Mo Burns leaving the IUP women's program then becoming an all-league player.

Bonifacio, Tomer and Nkumsah were all true freshmen. That's a different animal. I'm referring to redshirting transfer imports. Two times in a row it backfired tremendously.

Blake Danielak got the redshirt. Before long that season IUP had a walk-on starting (CJ Rudisill). Dom Keyes got the redshirt last year on a team that couldn't defend air against a legit post player. On top of it the season got pis$ed away once adversity struck with absolutely no bench. Keyes is a legit post defender. Instead Joe insisted on playing Blake out of position down there. I think we all saw how that worked. You get away with that stuff against Clarion types. However, that could also be why this program has won just one NCAA game in three years, too (and missed two tournaments).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Yeah ... that story goes a little deeper. I'll leave it at that. I'm not so sure I'd say Mo Burns 'left' the program.
      Oh I know that story goes deeper. I got into a pissin match with some parents at Mercyhurst two years ago when she was a freshman. They didn't like the truth to much. hahaha

Comment

Bonifacio, Tomer and Nkumsah were all true freshmen. That's a different animal. I'm referring to redshirting transfer imports. Two times in a row it backfired tremendously.

Blake Danielak got the redshirt. Before long that season IUP had a walk-on starting (CJ Rudisill). Dom Keyes got the redshirt last year on a team that couldn't defend air against a legit post player. On top of it the season got pis$ed away once adversity struck with absolutely no bench. Keyes is a legit post defender. Instead Joe insisted on playing Blake out of position down there. I think we all saw how that worked. You get away with that stuff against Clarion types. However, that could also be why this program has won just one NCAA game in three years, too (and missed two tournaments).
        CORRECT!!!!!

Comment

Yeah ... that story goes a little deeper. I'll leave it at that. I'm not so sure I'd say Mo Burns 'left' the program.
          Impact as in she left (...abruptly) and became a nearly 1,000-point scorer (or did she get to 1,000?).

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
            Impact as in she left (...abruptly) and became a nearly 1,000-point scorer (or did she get to 1,000?).

Burns was a nice player but, regardless if she left or was asked to leave, I think she saw the writing on the wall with Carolyn Appleby arriving. She wasn't going to start over Appleby.

Anyway, I'm not sure how Joe's redshirting of transfer imports led to a Mo Burns discussion.

Regardless, ...

Dom Keyes is still at IUP (and was all summer) -- further making this all the more odd. He was also mentioned in the Gazette summer article. So, something happened between that article and the day the roster got posted. The team also doesn't appear to be at max scholarships anymore unless he's kicking some money to the walk-ons (doubtful).

Still not sure we have the whole story -- and/or roster, yet. There's likely somebody we don't know about yet or a planned mid-year transfer. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Comment

Burns was a nice player but, regardless if she left or was asked to leave, I think she saw the writing on the wall with Carolyn Appleby arriving. She wasn't going to start over Appleby.

Anyway, I'm not sure how Joe's redshirting of transfer imports led to a Mo Burns discussion.

Regardless, ...

Dom Keyes is still at IUP (and was all summer) -- further making this all the more odd. He was also mentioned in the Gazette summer article. So, something happened between that article and the day the roster got posted. The team also doesn't appear to be at max scholarships anymore unless he's kicking some money to the walk-ons (doubtful).

Still not sure we have the whole story -- and/or roster, yet. There's likely somebody we don't know about yet or a planned mid-year transfer. I'm leaning toward the latter.
              I'm wondering if Keyes isn't academically eligible. IDK... I do also think that roster isn't final. Either Keyes is trying to get eligible or there is a midyear transfer. hmmmmmm

Comment

Out of curiosity ...

You said 'trying to get eligible' .... how does that work?

If you are ruled academically ineligible are you lost for a full semester? Mid-term grades?

Or, in football, a whole season (as it is only a one semester season)?

Comment

If he makes grades fall semester then he would be eligible for spring semester. His clock is ticking because a player only has so much time complete their 4 years.

Comment

You follow the smoke ...

Keyes is still here and enrolled.

He has a year in the system already (of practice).

His timeline is:

1 year at UPJ
                    1 year at Harford
                    Redshirt at IUP

He was in the rotation plans as of July.

That is the odd part, though. If it is grades they'd have known by then.

Who knows. We need Tony to update us in the Gazette (if Joe allows) ... lol.

Comment

For whatever it's worth (not much) ... IUP is picked third in the Street and Smith's national preseason poll.

Jacobo Diaz is preseason first team All-American.

He's joined by Tommy Bolte of Concord. The two square off opening night.

Virginia State (game 2) is preseason No. 7

Comment

So, when you look at the IUP page on Verbal Commits and scroll over Dom Keyes' name ... it says his status is 'suspended'.

Being that we know factually he's still enrolled ... and that the current roster only shows 9 scholarship players (and Dante knocks the hit on the bank account down to 8) ... wonder if we'll see Mr. Keyes at some point this year? It is weird, however, that he's totally removed from the official roster.

I guess we'll know soon enough.

Comment

Interesting, I'm wondering why there has been no announcement of the suspension? Could it be drugs?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                            If he makes grades fall semester then he would be eligible for spring semester. His clock is ticking because a player only has so much time complete their 4 years.
                            D1 yes...DII no. The five year D1 clock starts ticking the second the player enrolls in a college (actually ANY college). Even if the guy enrolls in college for one semester and then drops out. His D1 clock keeps ticking. Different student enrolls in a DII (actually any college) but isn't part of the team then takes six years off of college. When he comes back he has 10 semesters of DII eligibility left. DII player has 10 semesters of eligibility and a maximum of four actual season.

There are also academic progress requirements that can rear their head for a player that spends much more than the 10 semesters AND restrictions on the number of schools a player can transfer to but those are truly confusing and they seem more than a bit arbitrary.

Comment

Yeah ... remember that guy from SRU a few years back who originally started at IUP (Brooks) ... he must have been 26. His return to the IUP campus was quite the story.

Comment

Yeah ... remember that guy from SRU a few years back who originally started at IUP (Brooks) ... he must have been 26. His return to the IUP campus was quite the story.
                                Gerald Brooks had the 6th year like Cotrell did. It was no different.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X