Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Aaron Faulkner was another good one kind of lost to history.

How about crazy Fannar ? His 'departure' certainly soured his role in program history. He was a scrappy one, though, during his time here.
    The memory of Faulkner jumping up on the scorers table celebrating the one big win (region I think) will forever be seared into my cortex as one of the iconic moments of IUP sports history. Sort of like the flag raising at Iwo Jima.

Goodness, so many great players over the years. We were all lucky to have been a part of it all.

-

Comment

LOL ... I think Joe's dream in life is to go Norman Dale and play with four. Maybe dress 6 total with a local walk-on from Saltsburg.

Bravado probably just favored this post! LOL. You guys are a riot.

Comment

IUP only played with seven in the three-overtime regional semifinal against West Liberty in 2014. Marcel went for 27 and 10 off the bench in 43 minutes. Devante played 54 of 55 minutes and Mathis logged 52.

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
          IUP only played with seven in the three-overtime regional semifinal against West Liberty in 2014. Marcel went for 27 and 10 off the bench in 43 minutes. Devante played 54 of 55 minutes and Mathis logged 52.
          That one is still painful. It never should have made it to the first OT. Hit FTs and it was over in regulation.

Comment

• Iup basketball

That one is still painful. It never should have made it to the first OT. Hit FTs and it was over in regulation.

Yeah. Marcel missed the front end of a 1 and 1 with about 1:50 left. WL went down and promptly hit a 3. The with about a minute left, Jeffers missed the front end of a 1 and 1 too which also led to a WL 3.

IUP controlled that whole game and should have beaten West Liberty. That game never should have never reached overtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
              Yeah. Marcel missed the front end of a 1 and 1 with about 1:50 left. WL went down and promptly hit a 3. The with about a minute left, Jeffers missed the front end of a 1 and 1 too which also led to a WL 3.

IUP controlled that whole game and should have beaten West Liberty. That game never should have never reached overtime.

At their best, that is what WLU does...Tires you out which makes you make mistakes (like short arming FT's) and then drains 3's on the other end. IUP missed only two FT's in the second half while WLU made only three 3 pointers (the two you pointed out and one other)...game swung on those four shots.

I'd be hard pressed to say IUP "controlled the whole game" seeing as WLU did have a 3 point half time lead, IUP's largest lead was 6 points and that was in the first half while WLU lead by 9 in the second. Game was tied on eight different occasions in regulation. As I recall it, it was a game of runs with one team building a small (typically 5 or 6 point) lead and the other team clawing their way back.
              Last edited by boatcapt; 08-02-2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

IUP will play at Kentucky in an exhibition game on Nov. 2. They'll have a week off before opening the season Nov. 9 in the IRMC Classic against Concord.

Comment

Better to play them in November than February, I suppose.

I was really hoping they'd play Pitt this year. They could possibly win that game.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                    At their best, that is what WLU does...Tires you out which makes you make mistakes (like short arming FT's) and then drains 3's on the other end. IUP missed only two FT's in the second half while WLU made only three 3 pointers (the two you pointed out and one other)...game swung on those four shots.

I'd be hard pressed to say IUP "controlled the whole game" seeing as WLU did have a 3 point half time lead, IUP's largest lead was 6 points and that was in the first half while WLU lead by 9 in the second. Game was tied on eight different occasions in regulation. As I recall it, it was a game of runs with one team building a small (typically 5 or 6 point) lead and the other team clawing their way back.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                      Be hard pressed all you want. IUP should have won that game in regulation.

I attribute missing those two free throws more to guys thinking about the situation and altering the mechanics just ever so slightly.

Don't be so quick to discount. I read of some type of football hack who this week actually said that Steelers LB Bud Dupree struggles with rushing the passer because QBs can see him coming. I guess he needs to get to Walmart and pick up that light-bending cloaking device that the Predator used in that one Schwarzenegger movie. LOL.

-

Comment

There are many reasons for missing a foul shot, such as those that you mentioned. Of course, none of us will ever know the predominant factor and players are not likely willing to admit that they were gassed. However, I would suggest that Boat's comments are not far-fetched at all, based on watching many WLU games. Their style is designed to create mental stress as well as mental and physical fatigue. The legs are critical to good shooting. When they get heavy with lactic acid, it affects shooting form as players sometimes try to compensate and get away from their stroke.

I have seen too many great shooters, 80+% free throw shooters, throw up bricks at the end of the FIRST HALF as well as at the end of the game. It has happened often enough that I cannot attribute it solely to statistical variation. Interestingly enough, I have also seen shooting go south at the beginning of the second half. Maybe a physiology professor can explain that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                          There are many reasons for missing a foul shot, such as those that you mentioned. Of course, none of us will ever know the predominant factor and players are not likely willing to admit that they were gassed. However, I would suggest that Boat's comments are not far-fetched at all, based on watching many WLU games. Their style is designed to create mental stress as well as mental and physical fatigue. The legs are critical to good shooting. When they get heavy with lactic acid, it affects shooting form as players sometimes try to compensate and get away from their stroke.

I have seen too many great shooters, 80+% free throw shooters, throw up bricks at the end of the FIRST HALF as well as at the end of the game. It has happened often enough that I cannot attribute it solely to statistical variation. Interestingly enough, I have also seen shooting go south at the beginning of the second half. Maybe a physiology professor can explain that one.

Comment

I think Crutchfield, with his God-like powers, slightly altered the tilt and rotation of the earth at the exact instant that Jeremy and Marcel were shooting their free throws.
                            Last edited by Chuck Norris; 08-03-2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

West Liberty exhausted them ... IUP held them to 86 points despite (3) OT. Lot of theories. Ultimately it's as simple as you had two very good teams there that day and somebody had to win and somebody had to lose. Same thing as the following year at WL when IUP won.

Currently -- and most importantly -- both programs need to get back on the 'national' track. Combined, they have one NCAA win in the past two seasons (IUP over Kutztown). Had somebody told you that 3 years ago you'd have laughed.

Both are in pretty good shape this upcoming season.

Comment

West Liberty exhausted them ... IUP held them to 86 points despite (3) OT. Lot of theories. Ultimately it's as simple as you had two very good teams there that day and somebody had to win and somebody had to lose. Same thing as the following year at WL when IUP won.

Currently -- and most importantly -- both programs need to get back on the 'national' track. Combined, they have one NCAA win in the past two seasons (IUP over Kutztown). Had somebody told you that 3 years ago you'd have laughed.

Both are in pretty good shape this upcoming season.
                                Yep...During those years both IUP and WLU were at the top of their games. In the 2014 game, WLU was able to exert their will on IUP and win the game...Following year, IUP was able to turn the tables and win the day. Even though losing to a rival stings, neither team had much to be ashamed of either year.

As for the why WLU won the 2014 game, weather IUP shooters were tired and weather that effected their shooting, I've seen it happen too many times to dismiss it. Only other option is that the two IUP players just choaked. But then again, Chuck's speculation that Crutch altered the tilt and rotation of the earth does seem to have some merit to it! I mean, god like powers is one way of explaining how a tennis coach can come into a DII basketball program and overnight turn them into a 30 win machine year after year after year!!!

Since winning the 2014 game v. IUP, WLU has gone 8-4 with only one Elite 8 appearance. While some programs might be happy with that, for WLU, that 's not very good and certainly not up to standard.
                                Last edited by boatcapt; 08-03-2018, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X