Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iup basketball

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Gary Edwards wrote a great column last week sharing his thoughts on the 'transfer portal' and how it's become all the rage in college basketball. This past summer his best returning player asked to be put in the portal ... 'to test the D1 waters'. The day before fall classes started he left -- leaving Edwards high and dry.

    My personal opinion is the portal is going to ruin D2 basketball -- in particular for the average and weak programs. It's too easy to leave now. If the big schools pass you ... go to a Clarion or Seton Hill for a year and then bolt.

    My guess is there will be a lot of the better players in the PSAC who currently reside on lesser teams looking for new homes in the very near future (as in next week). Seton Hill could get gutted. They have a couple nice freshmen. The big guy from Ligonier Valley would be attractive to most schools. The guard from the DMV. Same with Clarion.

    I think this is going to make the poor teams a feeder system for the wealthy -- almost a developmental league within the league.
    But let's not forget that Gary's starting lineup/rotation during his tenure at IUP was made up of probably something like 75% of transfers that be brought in from other schools.

    -

    Comment


    • Another long ride home to Johnstown. That final score was nowhere near the game. Bunch of treys in the last two minutes.

      Comment


      • Once again the KCAC crowd terrorized UPJ. They are the easiest team to take out of their game I've ever seen.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          All remaining tickets tonight are on sale for $3.

          For you math people thats one heck of a discount (by KCAC standards). Fan Appreciation Night. Some concessions are reduced, too. You'll still be paying $9 for that 12 oz. Coors (plus tip). Can't win 'em all.

          They are going for the record crowd tonight. IUP will need a juiced up venue. UPJ is coming here to win. Very important game for both teams. It should be a fantastic atmosphere and game.
          Only 2400.

          what happened?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

            Only 2400.

            what happened?
            It was a great local crowd. The student body was nowhere to be found minus a couple rows in 113.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

              Only 2400.

              what happened?
              It was officially 2,493.

              It looked much fuller but the posted number is the number.

              Saying the word 'only' and having 2,493 is a great problem to have in D2. Consider that was a full five times more than what was in Angelo's Dome yesterday.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

                It was officially 2,493.

                It looked much fuller but the posted number is the number.

                Saying the word 'only' and having 2,493 is a great problem to have in D2. Consider that was a full five times more than what was in Angelo's Dome yesterday.
                At IUP, the sidelines were full but what struck me was the open space behind the basketball on the visiting end. There were people there just not as many as I expected. When I walked in someone handed me a General Admin ticket but I told him I’d rather buy one (consider it the variable part of my athletic donation).

                So point being, there were more tickets sold than were being used.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

                  It was a great local crowd. The student body was nowhere to be found minus a couple rows in 113.
                  In my experience, when it isn't SRU, Gannon, or Mercyhurst, it was always tough to draw both. All things considered, they've done remarkable with attendance this year. Most students, and by that I mean 99%, don't have a clue about what is going on in the region, etc. They really didn't recognize how big of a game that was on many levels. They see Pitt-Johnstown, and they say, "I really don't care. I didn't know UPJ even had a team." They're going to weigh going out the last weekend before spring break or going to a game against a school they don't care about. That said, I would bet the bars were packed last night.

                  Students get in for free. The advertising that I saw all week told me they were focused more on getting locals to the game. For me and some of my buddies.... We toasted again last night. Our attendance record remains.

                  Comment


                  • I guess I said only because they made tickets cheap and it was only half full.

                    so maybe cheap tickets aren’t the end all?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                      I guess I said only because they made tickets cheap and it was only half full.

                      so maybe cheap tickets aren’t the end all?
                      I'd say of the 2,500 last night ... 2,350 were locals.

                      That said, Wayne Ave, 7th Street and Philly were bumping on my way home.

                      As IUP24 said ... the students just don't care. It's a shame but unlikely to ever change minus when the gym teachers come here (the pretend basketball rival who last won a game here a decade before any of the current students were born).

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

                        In my experience, when it isn't SRU, Gannon, or Mercyhurst, it was always tough to draw both. All things considered, they've done remarkable with attendance this year. Most students, and by that I mean 99%, don't have a clue about what is going on in the region, etc. They really didn't recognize how big of a game that was on many levels. They see Pitt-Johnstown, and they say, "I really don't care. I didn't know UPJ even had a team." They're going to weigh going out the last weekend before spring break or going to a game against a school they don't care about. That said, I would bet the bars were packed last night.

                        Students get in for free. The advertising that I saw all week told me they were focused more on getting locals to the game. For me and some of my buddies.... We toasted again last night. Our attendance record remains.
                        You seem to not beleive me when I tell you that game was abolished for IUP history. The Lombardi Mafia took care of it. Lol.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

                          You seem to not beleive me when I tell you that game was abolished for IUP history. The Lombardi Mafia took care of it. Lol.
                          We are like the 1972 Dolphins. At the end of every home schedule, as long as that record is still intact, we crack a bottle of champagne. Of course, there's still a few games left.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

                            I'd say of the 2,500 last night ... 2,350 were locals.

                            That said, Wayne Ave, 7th Street and Philly were bumping on my way home.

                            As IUP24 said ... the students just don't care. It's a shame but unlikely to ever change minus when the gym teachers come here (the pretend basketball rival who last won a game here a decade before any of the current students were born).
                            There might be a chance to break the record if iup hosts regionals and is in the final - students will be back from spring break.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

                              In my experience, when it isn't SRU, Gannon, or Mercyhurst, it was always tough to draw both. All things considered, they've done remarkable with attendance this year. Most students, and by that I mean 99%, don't have a clue about what is going on in the region, etc. They really didn't recognize how big of a game that was on many levels. They see Pitt-Johnstown, and they say, "I really don't care. I didn't know UPJ even had a team." They're going to weigh going out the last weekend before spring break or going to a game against a school they don't care about. That said, I would bet the bars were packed last night.

                              Students get in for free. The advertising that I saw all week told me they were focused more on getting locals to the game. For me and some of my buddies.... We toasted again last night. Our attendance record remains.
                              I'm a million percent sure this is not something IUP Athletics wants to get in bed with, but imagine if one of the bars that really cater to the student crowd (Coney, Twisted, Wolfies, Culpeppers) sponsored one of these games on a Wednesday or Saturday night. Buy a ticket to the game then if you bring that ticket stub to the bar, you don't have to pay cover. Imagine it as something like when Romeo's did the promotion where you got a free slice of pizza if IUP scored 72 and they won at home. The local crowd is great for bringing in the almighty dollar, but the drunk student demographic is really one needed to make the KCAC into a real home-court advantage. Joe, during post-game interviews (at least with me) pretty much alluded to (my words) wanting students to come out and have a good time from 7:30 to 9:30 on a Saturday night...then go get into whatever you want to get in to. I think that's how Slippery Rock's mentality is. A 3:30 p.m. Saturday tipoff is the pregame and then by the time the game is over, the real partying can start.
                              Pete Sirianni. Digital Editor, New Castle News.

                              2016 IUP graduate. twitter.com/petersirianni.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by hawks16 View Post

                                I'm a million percent sure this is not something IUP Athletics wants to get in bed with, but imagine if one of the bars that really cater to the student crowd (Coney, Twisted, Wolfies, Culpeppers) sponsored one of these games on a Wednesday or Saturday night. Buy a ticket to the game then if you bring that ticket stub to the bar, you don't have to pay cover. Imagine it as something like when Romeo's did the promotion where you got a free slice of pizza if IUP scored 72 and they won at home. The local crowd is great for bringing in the almighty dollar, but the drunk student demographic is really one needed to make the KCAC into a real home-court advantage. Joe, during post-game interviews (at least with me) pretty much alluded to (my words) wanting students to come out and have a good time from 7:30 to 9:30 on a Saturday night...then go get into whatever you want to get in to. I think that's how Slippery Rock's mentality is. A 3:30 p.m. Saturday tipoff is the pregame and then by the time the game is over, the real partying can start.
                                That's what their mentality is for football. Basketball... not even close.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X