Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iup basketball

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm not convinced Tommy Demo has transferred out of IUP.

    A) He's still on the roster. As we know from the football program, they remove people immediately.

    B) It was so late in the process to transfer. Finding a quality home at that stage wouldn't have been easy.

    C) He's had no Twitter activity pertaining to a transfer. That's usually the first place players advertise they are available.

    D) I get he's older than most on the team -- and he's certainly capable of playing at a high-level overseas. But, staying here for next year would keep him on a loaded team and he'd be a stat machine (certainly a Player of the Year candidate and likely All-American).

    I guess time will tell -- but, I sure hope he's still here.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      I'm not convinced Tommy Demo has transferred out of IUP.

      A) He's still on the roster. As we know from the football program, they remove people immediately.

      B) It was so late in the process to transfer. Finding a quality home at that stage wouldn't have been easy.

      C) He's had no Twitter activity pertaining to a transfer. That's usually the first place players advertise they are available.

      D) I get he's older than most on the team -- and he's certainly capable of playing at a high-level overseas. But, staying here for next year would keep him on a loaded team and he'd be a stat machine (certainly a Player of the Year candidate and likely All-American).

      I guess time will tell -- but, I sure hope he's still here.
      Funny you should say this... I meant to message about this two days and got tied up with other things. If you look at Tommy's twitter it also has him in IUP uniforms both his profile pic and his wall paper. Maybe there is a chance???

      Comment


      • Mercyhurst moved to 3-0 tonight beating Ashland 73-59. Ugh!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
          Mercyhurst moved to 3-0 tonight beating Ashland 73-59. Ugh!
          It's tough as an IUP supporter. But, I think the IUP vs Mercyhurst rivalry is a respected one on both sides. I can't say that about some others in the West.

          I don't know how much longer they'll play but it sure makes me question why IUP didn't give it a try.

          Comment


          • That’s my ugh! I’m struggling not being able to watch IUP but yet Mercyhurst is playing. It’s killing me!!!

            Comment


            • Well, the schools need the housing revenue to minimize losses and they might as well play. But Mercyhurst was only able to schedule 3 or 4 games. And I wouldn't trust Mercyhurst anyway. Their athletes already did some superspreading while partying it up in Erie.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                Well, the schools need the housing revenue to minimize losses and they might as well play. But Mercyhurst was only able to schedule 3 or 4 games. And I wouldn't trust Mercyhurst anyway. Their athletes already did some superspreading while partying it up in Erie.

                I'm looking forward to the 11-game series between Gannon and Mercyhurst.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post


                  I'm looking forward to the 11-game series between Gannon and Mercyhurst.
                  Its like watching mid-season NL Central baseball when most teams are sub-.500.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post


                    I'm looking forward to the 11-game series between Gannon and Mercyhurst.
                    Meat grinders!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

                      Meat grinders!
                      What was the famous one ... I forget. Wasn't it like 42-37 or something close to that?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

                        What was the famous one ... I forget. Wasn't it like 42-37 or something close to that?
                        Jan 20, 2016... Mercyhurst 48 Gannon 37


                        Atrocious basketball...

                        Comment


                        • Redshirt Joe's last 5 years versus the West (including conference tournament games and NCAA):

                          Mercyhurst 9-4
                          Gannon 9-1
                          Edinboro 10-1
                          California 11-0
                          UPJ 11-1
                          Clarion 10-0
                          Seton Hill 9-1
                          Slippery Rock 8-2

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Redshirt Joe's last 5 years versus the West (including conference tournament games and NCAA):

                            Mercyhurst 9-4
                            Gannon 9-1
                            Edinboro 10-1
                            California 11-0
                            UPJ 11-1
                            Clarion 10-0
                            Seton Hill 9-1
                            Slippery Rock 8-2
                            OWNS THE WEST!!!

                            Comment


                            • Some 'decade in review' numbers for Redshirt Joe's program:

                              2010-11 to 2019-20

                              Overall Record: 259-55
                              Home: 151-19
                              Away: 95-29
                              Neutral: 10-7

                              Decade record versus PSAC teams:
                              Pitt-Johnstown 16-1
                              California 21-2
                              Gannon 15-6
                              Mercyhurst 15-10
                              Seton Hill 16-1
                              Edinboro 20-2
                              Slippery Rock 20-4
                              Clarion 19-1
                              Bloomsburg 7-1
                              West Chester 8-4
                              East Stroudsburg 9-2
                              Shippensburg 6-3
                              Lock Haven 8-0
                              Mansfield 7-1
                              Kutztown 6-1
                              Shepherd 1-0
                              Cheyney 4-1
                              Millersville 6-0
                              Up for debate items:

                              Best team of decade: 2014-15 (31-7 & National Finalist), 2018-19 (30-3 & PSAC Title), 2019-20 (28-2 & PSAC Title / Covid season)

                              Least-productive team of decade: Either 2015-16 (21-8) or 2017-18 (22-8)

                              - The 2015-16 team saw Cobo and Dante play very heavy minutes as true freshmen -- also the team that lost at Seton Hill in the finale. This was the 'island of misfit toys' team.
                              - The 2017-18 team was the most disappointing in my opinion. That team was just snake-bitten at every turn. Malik missed a month. Cobo was hurt the first month. The debacle at Seton Hill with Glover's suspension and Dante's broken wrist. Keyes redshirted.

                              Player of the Decade: When you add it all up, it would be hard to not say Jacobo Diaz. Total body of work over four years ... not sure anybody else in his category. Webb only played one season in this decade.

                              Best single season: Tough one. Perhaps Brandon Norfleet (2015-16), Anthony Glover (2016-17), Devante Chance (2014-15), Cobo (2018-19), Malik (2019-20), Darryl Webb (2010-11).

                              The 'what could have been' team: 2013-14 ... lost in Triple OT to WL in the NCAAs Round 2. Led by Mathis Keita and Marcel Souberbielle. This was a very under-the-radar team when you look back on Joe's best teams. Make a foul shot in the final minute and the game was over.

                              Best home games (atmosphere): 2013-14 win against Slippery Rock (66-64) at KCAC (my opinion the loudest game ever at KCAC ... this was the infamous Kevin Reynolds technical late in the second half when the crowd finally drove him nuts) ... the infamous Silent Night debacle with nearly 4,000 in attendance ... 2018-19 win against Ship in the Field House felt like the 90s all over again ... 2012-13 PSAC Final win over Slippery Rock at KCAC (only had about 2,500 but it was rocking).

                              Best Road wins: Regional final at WL (The Norfleet Three), Tarleton State (Final Four), Shippensburg (19-20 PSAC Final), 2018-19 at Fairmont State (as dominant a showing as any Joe team has put on against a good team)

                              Oddest item: 2018-19 -- IUP dominated Mercyhurst in the PSAC Championship. A week later it was the total opposite. Mercyhurst went on to win the Regional two nights later and then put a major scare in to eventual national champion NWMS. That Sunday loss still hurts. Oddly, when you ask anybody there, they knew it within the first 3 minutes of the game.

                              Rivalry: The first part of the decade it was probably Gannon. The later half was certainly Mercyhurst. I know most say Slippery Rock, but, the record certainly doesn't reflect it. BUT, no team packs the KCAC better than SRU, so, who knows.


                              The 'What the F' moment of the decade: Bowie State came in to the KCAC in 2015-16 and won. IUP dominated the first half and was up as many as 24 points. The final 20 minutes Bowie State turned in to an NBA team, and eventually snuck out with 3-point win. Very rare Saturday night home loss for IUP. The Hawks were horrendous at the FT line in the final 10 minutes -- ultimately costing them the game.

                              Most painful loss: 2014-15 PSAC Final at the Hammermill. Thrilling game ... ended on a walk-off from well beyond NBA range. Gannon then lost a week later in Round 1 to Slippery Rock (after going 3-0 against SRU during the season). IUP went on to make the National Final. In many ways, that win in the PSAC was the start of a very downhill stretch for the GU program.

                              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-29-2020, 01:09 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Mercyhurst is always a meat grinder.Playing against the rarely seen match up zone/triangle and 2 will always make Mercyhurst a tough game. You can come up with a game plan against it but you can never simulate it they way they run it.

                                Six losses to Gannon: without researching I'd be willing to bet a couple were against the Goldcamp team when Joe first arrived. A couple against those Blazek teams and the one debacle a couple years back at Gannon.

                                Other than those two schools, complete dominance! I thought Cal was starting to develop then more kids leave after last year. Not sure what the deal is there.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X