Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iup basketball

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

    You might be getting some Pitt transfers as well. If Redshirt Joe takes on Big John Hugley after his prison term he might want to be sure to lock up his car at all times and install the club.
    Big John best have a good legal team. If not he'll be playing for Shawshank next winter.

    I assume he'll plead down some but he's likely looking at a couple years up state.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Tommy Demogerontas is confirmed staying for next season. That is fantastic news.

      That will likely give Joe a starting five next year of Armoni, Demo, Porterfield, Shawndale and Morris.

      Sulaiman and Diop will be the post subs. Radford and Rhodes will sub for guards. Benton will be the utility.

      Polce, Cordon and Burk will likely redshirt.


      I know they have one offer on the table (PG from Chicago) but it could be a one-man class. They were looking at a grad transfer but I haven't heard anything official.
      Awesome, when I saw him put back on the roster last week I figured it was a done deal. That team is loaded up...

      Comment


      • If anybody is interested in the IUP universe ... Joe did a really interesting, hour-long podcast interview over the weekend with former player Jeremy Jeffers. There is a link to it on IUP's Twitter page.

        At the end, JJ asked him to rank his 5 best teams and 5 best players at IUP. Joe wasn't taking the bait but did answer the teams part of it.

        He picked his two national finalists as his best teams -- saying the 14-15 group was his best 'team' but the 09-10 roster was his most talented. He said 09-10 just 'had more dudes'. The players portion was a real tough question. That wouldn't be easy to answer. I found it very interesting how he talked about the merging of the 2014-15 team. It was interesting to hear how Brandon Norfleet went from being an off-guard on that team to being the conference player of the year the following season. Joe's answer, essentially, was he was allowed to shoot his senior year. LOL. That 14-15 team had a lot of people to feed. He also talked about Shawn Dyer's transition in to the program. Another interesting spin was how the adapt D1 transfers on to the team -- not always easy (with Jeffers being the case study).

        Jeffers is (I believe) coaching in the AAU ranks and has started up a basketball academy down in North Carolina. They discussed the types of players Joe targets, ... stuff like that. It was interesting. Joe was a little more relaxed than he typically is in more formal interviews.

        Comment


        • A name from the past is having a heck of a coaching run overseeas. Mike Taylor, who was part of the great run in the mid-90s at IUP (and was later an assistant under Gary Edwards from 1997 to 2000, will serve as Poland's head coach in the FIBA Euorbasket 2022.

          The '94-'95 team is considered by many to be the best team in school history. Having seen them all in the past 30 years ... hard to argue against that theory.

          Could be a name to keep an eye down the road when Joe retires. Interesting story with Taylor is he grew up in Clarion. IUP snatched him away from the Golden Eagles. For the younger crowd, that was a big signing back then. Clarion had a really strong program in that era.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            If anybody is interested in the IUP universe ... Joe did a really interesting, hour-long podcast interview over the weekend with former player Jeremy Jeffers. There is a link to it on IUP's Twitter page.

            At the end, JJ asked him to rank his 5 best teams and 5 best players at IUP. Joe wasn't taking the bait but did answer the teams part of it.

            He picked his two national finalists as his best teams -- saying the 14-15 group was his best 'team' but the 09-10 roster was his most talented. He said 09-10 just 'had more dudes'. The players portion was a real tough question. That wouldn't be easy to answer. I found it very interesting how he talked about the merging of the 2014-15 team. It was interesting to hear how Brandon Norfleet went from being an off-guard on that team to being the conference player of the year the following season. Joe's answer, essentially, was he was allowed to shoot his senior year. LOL. That 14-15 team had a lot of people to feed. He also talked about Shawn Dyer's transition in to the program. Another interesting spin was how the adapt D1 transfers on to the team -- not always easy (with Jeffers being the case study).

            Jeffers is (I believe) coaching in the AAU ranks and has started up a basketball academy down in North Carolina. They discussed the types of players Joe targets, ... stuff like that. It was interesting. Joe was a little more relaxed than he typically is in more formal interviews.
            I’ve always felt that if the ‘10-11 team had found a way past West Lib in that great regional final they’d have at least gone back to the NC game, if not won it, especially if Willie Estrella would’ve been healthy for the Elite 8.

            Comment


            • IUP is playing at the Hammermill on March 4 against Gannon.

              Men confirmed. Not heard anything on the women.

              Not sure if this is purely an exhibition or if it will count for Gannon.

              Obviously it's a scrimmage for IUP although the word is they are going to play several of these types of games this Spring.

              Comment


              • I know they were allowed to start full-team practice last week. This should be interesting to see what kind of shape everybody is in, timing, etc.

                I'm really glad they are going to get some games in this year regardless if they count for anything or not.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  IUP is playing at the Hammermill on March 4 against Gannon.

                  Men confirmed. Not heard anything on the women.

                  Not sure if this is purely an exhibition or if it will count for Gannon.

                  Obviously it's a scrimmage for IUP although the word is they are going to play several of these types of games this Spring.
                  Wow, great news!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    IUP is playing at the Hammermill on March 4 against Gannon.

                    Men confirmed. Not heard anything on the women.

                    Not sure if this is purely an exhibition or if it will count for Gannon.

                    Obviously it's a scrimmage for IUP although the word is they are going to play several of these types of games this Spring.
                    As with EVERY year, I hear IUP is LOADED! Too bad the Gov didn't let them play real games this year.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

                      As with EVERY year, I hear IUP is LOADED! Too bad the Gov didn't let them play real games this year.
                      We still talking about that?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

                        We still talking about that?
                        About IUP being LOADED?? We talk about that every year!!!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

                          About IUP being LOADED?? We talk about that every year!!!

                          They're loaded and WL can beat the D1 champion (just not the D2 champion). The record player is on permanent repeat.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post


                            They're loaded and WL can beat the D1 champion (just not the D2 champion). The record player is on permanent repeat.
                            You forgot the "IUP played a D1 tough in a scrimmage so that proves they could hang as a D1" that pops up at the begining of almost every season, "WLU needs a big" thread that pops up a couple of times a year, "The MEC is a weak conference" thread that pops up every year and the "What was the best IUP team in history" thread that comes up time and time again!!!

                            And my personal favorate..."The WLU Style" discussion!!

                            Sadly discarded from the list of recuring topics..."Saint Crutch" :(

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              You forgot the "IUP played a D1 tough in a scrimmage so that proves they could hang as a D1" that pops up at the begining of almost every season, "WLU needs a big" thread that pops up a couple of times a year, "The MEC is a weak conference" thread that pops up every year and the "What was the best IUP team in history" thread that comes up time and time again!!!

                              And my personal favorate..."The WLU Style" discussion!!

                              Sadly discarded from the list of recuring topics..."Saint Crutch" :(
                              Sorry if we're boring you with our repetitive discussions, Boat. ; )

                              Oh, and you forgot one: the "Should WLU play legit non-con games" thread that pops up every year. That's a classic!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Scrub View Post

                                Sorry if we're boring you with our repetitive discussions, Boat. ; )

                                Oh, and you forgot one: the "Should WLU play legit non-con games" thread that pops up every year. That's a classic!
                                How could I possibly forget THAT recuring thread??!! It is an absolute CLASSIC!!

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X