X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    I told everybody months ago that Joe would never play more than 8 guys! What in the world is he thinking here? This group has the potential to be really, really good. I just don't get it.
    Most nights in D2 he won't be nearly as undersized as he was last night. But, yeah, if Benton beat out Ulrich ... he may be one of Joe's biggest flop recruits ever. Let's hope he was just banged up and sat out. Ulrich has been wearing a black shirt in practice which means he's running with the rotation group.

We'll find out real soon.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    I told everybody months ago that Joe would never play more than 8 guys! What in the world is he thinking here? This group has the potential to be really, really good. I just don't get it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    This team needs to take some time to jell BUT if Benton is part of the rotation then they are in trouble!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    This has shades of 2016 all over it. One injury in the post and we'll be toting out a 6'4" walk-on at forward (with a 6'10" scholarship player redshirting and another 6'8" scholarship player deep in the Joe doghouse).

It sure seems Benton has beat out the (scholarship player) Ulrich. Fantastic. Anthony White must be the best scout team guard in the country.

I will never, ever, ever understand Joe's fascination with redshirting post players. Odds are better than ever he (Diop) won't even be here next year anyway.

Also, being that Chuckie and Demo won't be here next year ... you'd sure think getting Diop work would be beneficial.

Porterfield is going to have to emerge as a Ryan Smith-type freshman under the basket as this sesson progresses.

Lot of work to do before next Friday night.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    From the Gazette:

Diop is going to redshirt. I guess that's why he wasn't available. Wow.

Ulrich wasn't mentioned.

Joe got his yearly shot in on Robert Morris and Duquesne not wanting to play them. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    From the Gazette:

Diop is going to redshirt. I guess that's why he wasn't available. Wow.

Ulrich wasn't mentioned.

Joe got his yearly shot in on Robert Morris and Duquesne not wanting to play them. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I've been told this morning (fairly reliable source) neither Diop or Ulrich was 'available' last night. Anthony White also didn't play.

No doubt it was there to win. They had the lead and the ball with 31 seconds left and missed the front end of a FT. Elon has some nice players. They have a new coach and opened their new, fancy arena. Their one guard is a grad transfer from Stanford. Elon would be a Top 15 D2 team -- put it that way. This was also Elon's second game. IUP's terrible first half was reflective of a first game.

Without question they lost the game under the basket. Elon has some monsters under there. And, ... Joe was playing a 6'4" walk-on and a true freshmen in long spurts. They were getting hammered under the basket. They struggled just to rebound missed Elon FTs to put it in perspective. You can't beat teams giving up chump rebounds.

They'll take a lot away from that game. It was on the road and against a D1 (albeit lower-end mid-major). This isn't last year's team. Last year's team played its best ball of the whole season from early November to Christmas. This team has work to do -- but may have a higher upside as the season moves along. And, again, without Ulrich or Diop available, they just had no size on the floor. Chucky and Demo played but they aren't bangers -- they are more finesse post players. Hopefully they are both 'available' for next weekend.

All in all, it was a good showing on the road and short-handed. They'll be ready to go next weekend. That's why they play these games. Work out the kinks you can't work out in practice.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-31-2019, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I don't know, they should have won, last year's team wins easily I'll bet. looks like the transfer guards did not shoot well. Maybe it will take awhile for team chemistry to develop. I am also curious as to why the other bigs didn't play.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Not doubt. Great effort. It will help them tremendously.

Alarming neither IUP big played, however.
    I don't know, they should have won, last year's team wins easily I'll bet. looks like the transfer guards did not shoot well. Maybe it will take awhile for team chemistry to develop. I am also curious as to why the other bigs didn't play.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied
    1. Am I naive to think IUP didn't go all the way down to North Carolina to just play one school? Last year, IUP "officially" played Kentucky in an exhibition, but on the way south also played Ashland and Morehead State.

2. In other notable D2 exhibition scores: Pitt beat Slippery Rock tonight 98-47. Northwest Missouri St. gave Duke all it could handle on Saturday night, losing 69-63.

3. I looked at the box score late in the fourth quarter of the live stats and laughed a little bit when I counted only eight guys with minutes for Joe. Some things never change.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    I'll accept a 79-71 OT loss... Only shooting 34% and being out rebounded by 11 were keys to the loss.
    Not doubt. Great effort. It will help them tremendously.

Alarming neither IUP big played, however.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    I'll accept a 79-71 OT loss... Only shooting 34% and being out rebounded by 11 were keys to the loss.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP goes down in OT, 78-71.

Lesson learned .... had the ball and the lead with 31 seconds left.

Armoni 28 pts and 6 treys.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    65-65 end of regulation

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP 10-4 run to start half 2

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse