• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    That's why the schedules haven't been released yet. Those two are still negotiating the terms. Lol

Joe wants the standard IUP contract for non-conference games: The first 9 meetings in Indiana and the 10th meeting on the road.

WL wants officials brought in from the NBA.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    It's now official Virginia State isn't coming back to this year's tip-off weekend at IUP. Nor is Concord.

IUP and West Liberty haven't revealed their schedules yet. Wouldn't that be a fun way to start the season.
    That's why the schedules haven't been released yet. Those two are still negotiating the terms. Lol

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

It's now official Virginia State isn't coming back to this year's tip-off weekend at IUP. Nor is Concord.

IUP and West Liberty haven't revealed their schedules yet. Wouldn't that be a fun way to start the season.
    It'll turn out to be Cal, Wheeling and Penn State Altoona.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Redshirt is really a D1 construct were a player has 5 years and 4 playing seasons of eligibility. We use the term in DII but it really doesn't mean anything. DII players have 10 total semesters and a maximum of 4 playing seasons.
    I was suppose to quote this above...

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    These are solid picks. I think that 1, 2, 8, and 9 are pretty set and it would be surprising if they finished anywhere else. 3-7 is going to be a crapshoot. I can't argue with where you have them, though.
    You're wrong... Devon Cottrell at IUP was redshirted as a freshman, then played 3 full years, got hurt a couple games into his senior year and was then medical redshirted, he then played as an 11/12 semester player.

He's not the only player in D2 history to do it but was the first one off the top of my head.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

UPJ is going to be real good next year. Basically the whole team is back. Those freshmen won't be 'freshmen' any longer. They've played in that gadget offense for a year now.

The West is going to get decided in the IUP vs UPJ series next year. IUP will have quicker, better athletes, but UPJ runs that system so well that it can offset the athletic disadvantage.

Josh Wise is probably poised to break IUP's division POY streak. I think IUP is going to have too much scoring spread out as opposed to having one star rack up major stats.

My 'way too early' West prediction:

1. IUP - To be the man, ... ya gotta beat the man. Until that happens, Joe's the front-runner. And, he's loaded.

2. UPJ - Should be the D2 version of the Hickory Huskers next winter

3. Slippery Rock - Roster is locked in a vault but so long as Till is still on it, SRU will be competitive.

4. Cal - This could be a real sneaky team in Danny Year 2

5. Mercyhurst - Major rebuilding year but Gary has a knack for doing it quickly

6. Edinboro - They'll score a lot next year. Give up a ton, too. Coleman returns. Him and Simpson can fight over who gets to take 50 shots and who only gets to take 45.

7. Gannon - We need to see who is coming back to the Grassroots Hammermill before moving up the Knights much further.

8. Seton Hill - Griffins actually improved as the year wore on ... then the season ended and most of the good players graduated or left. Davis will go for 30 ppg this season. Problem is the rest may go for 10 ppg -- combined.

9. Clarion - New coach told to build a whole roster, starting in June, with no money. Good luck. Hopefully he's found The Captain Loomis.
    Till could be a problem. He was at NC State starting in the fall of 2014 though Sept 2015...Provided he practiced with the team, that would be 3 of his 10 semesters of DII eligibility. Then he played a season at Hartford CC...2 more semesters of his 10 (total at that point 5 semesters used)...Then 17-18 and 18-19 at SRU (4 semesters used...meaning his has used 9 of his 10 semesters of DII eligibility). Unless he sat out a semester along the way, he may only have one semester of eligibility remaining and since a BB season covers two semesters, he MAY have to sit out one this coming season.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

One good thing is I don't think Joe can redshirt any of the four D1 transfers.

Maybe he can redshirt Malik. Lol.

I mean, somehow we have to get this rotation down to 6 by opening night. And, then 5 and a walk-on by February.

Just kidding.

He does usually like to play four bigs. That could mean Porterfield doesn't redshirt. But, he better have a real big summer in the weightroom.
    Redshirt is really a D1 construct were a player has 5 years and 4 playing seasons of eligibility. We use the term in DII but it really doesn't mean anything. DII players have 10 total semesters and a maximum of 4 playing seasons.

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

These are solid picks. I think that 1, 2, 8, and 9 are pretty set and it would be surprising if they finished anywhere else. 3-7 is going to be a crapshoot. I can't argue with where you have them, though.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That's for sure! If IUP doesn't win the PSAC West, there should be an investigation.

UPJ is going to be real good next year. Basically the whole team is back. Those freshmen won't be 'freshmen' any longer. They've played in that gadget offense for a year now.

The West is going to get decided in the IUP vs UPJ series next year. IUP will have quicker, better athletes, but UPJ runs that system so well that it can offset the athletic disadvantage.

Josh Wise is probably poised to break IUP's division POY streak. I think IUP is going to have too much scoring spread out as opposed to having one star rack up major stats.

My 'way too early' West prediction:

1. IUP - To be the man, ... ya gotta beat the man. Until that happens, Joe's the front-runner. And, he's loaded.

2. UPJ - Should be the D2 version of the Hickory Huskers next winter

3. Slippery Rock - Roster is locked in a vault but so long as Till is still on it, SRU will be competitive.

4. Cal - This could be a real sneaky team in Danny Year 2

5. Mercyhurst - Major rebuilding year but Gary has a knack for doing it quickly

6. Edinboro - They'll score a lot next year. Give up a ton, too. Coleman returns. Him and Simpson can fight over who gets to take 50 shots and who only gets to take 45.

7. Gannon - We need to see who is coming back to the Grassroots Hammermill before moving up the Knights much further.

8. Seton Hill - Griffins actually improved as the year wore on ... then the season ended and most of the good players graduated or left. Davis will go for 30 ppg this season. Problem is the rest may go for 10 ppg -- combined.

9. Clarion - New coach told to build a whole roster, starting in June, with no money. Good luck. Hopefully he's found The Captain Loomis.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

One good thing is I don't think Joe can redshirt any of the four D1 transfers.

Maybe he can redshirt Malik. Lol.

I mean, somehow we have to get this rotation down to 6 by opening night. And, then 5 and a walk-on by February.

Just kidding.

He does usually like to play four bigs. That could mean Porterfield doesn't redshirt. But, he better have a real big summer in the weightroom.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Joe has a ton of talent. Maybe more than this past year.

Getting them to all play together will be his biggest task.
    These guys will play together. Trust me on this. Malik, Armoni and David will make this happen. They love to win and they don't have to be "The Guy" to do it. I'd be willing to be there isn't 11 scholarships persay. The PA guys are probably getting state grants which helps on the overall scholarship monies.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Joe has a ton of talent. Maybe more than this past year.

Getting them to all play together will be his biggest task.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    That's for sure! If IUP doesn't win the PSAC West, there should be an investigation.

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

Joe's loaded

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X