X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

The Dom Keyes thing ticks me off. He could've played last year and now where is he? Greg Bearer, what's the story with him coming and going all the time? They are seriously going to run with three guards again? Is Humphries seriously going to play a major guard role? Having three guards last year smoked that team. Big disappointment!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

FESTIVUS is the Airing of Grievances

Several of you have made the same comments in private messages.

The first impression of this roster ... is, well, not what we expected.

After what we had to watch the last several years with absolutely zero depth (for a variety of reasons but nonetheless) ... the thought of one guard injury again causing mass chaos is alarming.

In theory this roster has 3 guards ready to play -- Miller, Dante and Foster. Foster, of course, has 0 minutes played at the collegiate level (although by all accounts he's the real deal). He's also, by the way, a point guard. So, are we to assume Dante is going to move to the the now-open (Morrow) shooting guard role and Foster will take over at the point? Makes sense, but I have a hard time seeing that happen.

Anthony White played in the PSAC tournament disaster last year but wasn't allowed to do anything. Bearer ... major question mark. That leaves Danscecs as the only other guard and he's a true freshman. On the surface, this position isn't good right now. What happens with the first rolled ankle? Back to playing walk-ons.

My other MAJOR beef is this Dom Keyes item. IUP loves to redshirt these transfers for some reason. Last year, when the team desperately needed bodies, and, in particular, bodies to play defense under the basket, ... Keyes sat at the end of the bench in a warm-up suit. There's no way they can say he wouldn't have helped them last season. Before Keyes it was Danielak who sat and watched despite the injuries rolling up. Now, he's gone. Turn to this year, ... and it's likely there will be another giant at the end of the bench in a warm-up suit (Ulrich). They won't likely need him this year. What they need is a scholarship guard on the active roster and not a scholarship post player in a warm-up suit.

Hey, if everything goes well and there are no injuries, suspensions, etc., ... this roster will be very good. The odds of that, however, just aren't very good. Dante has been injury-riddled for three years now.

Here's to hoping for a year of no technicals in Greensburg from 50' away and no injuries.

Happy Festivus, everybody.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Bingo. We have a winner.

Leave a comment:

• IUPBBall
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

This interesting

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Depth Chart:

Guards

Dante Lombardi (senior)
    Malik Miller (junior)
    Armoni Foster (R-F)
    Anthony White (soph / walk-on)
    Greg Bearer (senior)
    Andras Danscecs (freshman)

Charles Humphries (6'6", 185)
    Willem Brandwijk (6'9", 225)
    Cobo Diaz (6'9", 215)
    Shawn Ulrich (6'10", 230)
    Marko Krivacevic (6'10", 205)

Walk-on post players:
    Dylan Benton (6'6", 170)
    Alan Glover Jr. (6'4", 210)
    Todd Fetsko (6'4", 205)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Roster is posted.

The only unknown addition is it looks like Greg Bearer has rejoined the team.

Appears the 'big' rumor was just a rumor.

So, with Morrow not being replaced, the guard position isn't very deep. Malik Miller, Dante Lombardi and Armoni Foster will be the primary guards. Behind them is Anthony White (walk-on), Bearer and Andras Danscecs (freshman).

Bearer, if you recall, was a scholarship recruit about 3 years ago who left the team. He was injured during his freshman year. Joe spoke pretty highly of him back then but he hasn't played in two years. He's a good athlete and has nice size (his height shrunk since his freshman year ... lol).

Here's the bad news:

Dom Keyes is not on the roster.

Does Joe play Ulrich now and go 5 deep down low or stick with the redshirt plan? The post is completely loaded. Not replacing Morrow is a bit of a concern. Seems to me Keyes was lost in attrition.

Also of note: As expected, Jalen Vaughns is not on the roster.

Keep in mind these rosters get changed all the time. I wouldn't be shocked to see a mid-season add at the guard position. The rumor was a little too hot. By my count, there are 9 scholarships being used (and Dante doesn't really count as he's going for free). So, there is some coin available.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 09-13-2018, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Young and successful at this level ... won't be around too long.

They'll get a lot of good applicants.

Just so they know ... they work for Joe and Tort (not the other way around).

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by PSAC76 View Post
    IUP Ath. Dir. has moved on. Who would be some names to lead the Crimson Hawks?
    Yikes, I thought IUP would get two more years out of him before he was swept away. He was good!

Leave a comment:

• PSAC76
    replied

IUP Ath. Dir. has moved on. Who would be some names to lead the Crimson Hawks?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

For the most part Joe has been reluctant to take the D3 game (thankfully). When you look at his normal non-conference schedule, it's all the more odd. Who knows. It could be as simple as they needed a date filled.

With the schedule he took this year (Concord, Virginia State, Bowie State, Fairmont State, Le Moyne) ... playing Westminster is what it is. It's an extra home date and better than no game. Ironically, Westminster came oh-so-close to beating Youngstown State last season.

IUP also gets no break in the crossover with all four East big boys -- Ship, East Stroudsburg, West Chester and Kutztown.

Toss in the usual suspects in the West and this is a very daunting schedule.

That opening weekend is going to be fantastic. I'm going to guess Malik Miller is drawing the big assignment in the Concord game.

Leave a comment:

• IUPTrackMan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPTrackMan
    replied

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    When was the last time IUP played a D3/NAIA/PSU satellite campus? Because I was actually stunned to see Westminster (Pa.) on the schedule.
    I remember IUP hosting Pitt Greensburg at the start of the 2012-2013 season.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    The rumblings are way bigger than Randy Bell. Joe went after him the last two years and Bell said no. This year Bell asked to play at IUP and Joe said no. I can not reveal the rumblings as of yet.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    So were the rumblings about Randy Bell or is there another possibility out there?
    The rumblings are way bigger than Randy Bell. Joe went after him the last two years and Bell said no. This year Bell asked to play at IUP and Joe said no. I can not reveal the rumblings as of yet.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X