• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Yeah ... that story goes a little deeper. I'll leave it at that. I'm not so sure I'd say Mo Burns 'left' the program.
    Oh I know that story goes deeper. I got into a pissin match with some parents at Mercyhurst two years ago when she was a freshman. They didn't like the truth to much. hahaha

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    It is maddening to see talent not utilized because of redshirts, but when has a player who was redshirted left IUP and gone on to success? Before Dom Keyes, it was Jeremy Bonifacio or Travis Tomer Jeremiah Nkumsah -- guys who who came into the program, had a lot of talent, reshirted and then left. Maybe all of their skill was increased from some YouTube highlights then relayed onto this board. I'm inclined to think if they would have been assets to the program, Joe would have used them somehow. I'm also inclined to think if down the road they would be assets, they would still be with the program. But they left for likely various reasons and none have really gone on to noteworthy basketball success.

I'm talking impact players at this or higher level. A prime example would be Mo Burns leaving the IUP women's program then becoming an all-league player.

Bonifacio, Tomer and Nkumsah were all true freshmen. That's a different animal. I'm referring to redshirting transfer imports. Two times in a row it backfired tremendously.

Blake Danielak got the redshirt. Before long that season IUP had a walk-on starting (CJ Rudisill). Dom Keyes got the redshirt last year on a team that couldn't defend air against a legit post player. On top of it the season got pis$ed away once adversity struck with absolutely no bench. Keyes is a legit post defender. Instead Joe insisted on playing Blake out of position down there. I think we all saw how that worked. You get away with that stuff against Clarion types. However, that could also be why this program has won just one NCAA game in three years, too (and missed two tournaments).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Mo Burns was an impact player? Yes, she lead Wheeling in scoring but did she make the rest of the team better? They were 12-17, I remember Mo being a chucker and getting hers. I truly think that's why Tom let her go!
    Yeah ... that story goes a little deeper. I'll leave it at that. I'm not so sure I'd say Mo Burns 'left' the program.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    It is maddening to see talent not utilized because of redshirts, but when has a player who was redshirted left IUP and gone on to success? Before Dom Keyes, it was Jeremy Bonifacio or Travis Tomer Jeremiah Nkumsah -- guys who who came into the program, had a lot of talent, reshirted and then left. Maybe all of their skill was increased from some YouTube highlights then relayed onto this board. I'm inclined to think if they would have been assets to the program, Joe would have used them somehow. I'm also inclined to think if down the road they would be assets, they would still be with the program. But they left for likely various reasons and none have really gone on to noteworthy basketball success.

I'm talking impact players at this or higher level. A prime example would be Mo Burns leaving the IUP women's program then becoming an all-league player.
    Mo Burns was an impact player? Yes, she lead Wheeling in scoring but did she make the rest of the team better? They were 12-17, I remember Mo being a chucker and getting hers. I truly think that's why Tom let her go!

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

The redshirt thing ... I see the point of it, BUT, there's no guarantee the kids will even be back the following season. And, Joe will always have a full deck of money to play with ... can always find the next guy. I'm of the opinion to put all your cards on the table. Then, of course, you don't have to play a critical 6-game stretch with 6 players.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Yeah but around these parts we go from Anthony Glover to intramural players. The drop is extravagant.
    Sounds like a coaching recruting philosophy issue to me. Works Great if no one gets hurt...but if one of the top five/six gets hurt, youre asking intermural players to play quality minutes. If they were capable of that, they probably would be playing elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Seems like there are a few teams that can say something very similar!!
    Yeah but around these parts we go from Anthony Glover to intramural players. The drop is extravagant.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

They are loaded -- until one guard goes down.

#groundhogs-day
    Seems like there are a few teams that can say something very similar!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

One other thing to keep in mind is Joe already stated they are going with the big lineup this year.

He announced the Starting Five to be:

Krivacevic
    Cobo
    Willem
    Dante
    Malik

6th & 7th: Humphries and Armoni

8th: Danscecs/Bearer

That starting lineup has (3) at 6'9 or taller who can all shoot outside. That's nuts at this level. When you look at it that way (and Joe typically only plays 7 guys -- 8 max) ... it's fine. Just cross your fingers for no injuries. Imagine trying to defend that lineup. Not easy. Krivacevic is a more aggressive version of Cobo from all reports.

My personal opinion is Morrow saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to come here and play 10 mpg.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    They have two legit guards. Armoni Foster is the third but he's never played at the collegiate level. I watched him play at the HS level and he has a ton of skill but will it translate to the D2 game? That's yet to be seen.

I have some trusted friends close to the program and they are all very high on Armoni so I'm not overly worried about him. They feel he's the next IUP star and had a great spring/summer.

That said, the fourth guard is a scholarship player -- but is a true freshman. This isn't the type of year IUP needs to be dealing with the inevitable growing pains of playing freshmen.

I'm not totally convinced this is the roster we'll see on opening night, by the way.

A lot of important fans were very upset with how last season ended. I can't imagine the big guy wants to watch that movie again this year.

The redshirt thing ... I see the point of it, BUT, there's no guarantee the kids will even be back the following season. And, Joe will always have a full deck of money to play with ... can always find the next guy. I'm of the opinion to put all your cards on the table. Then, of course, you don't have to play a critical 6-game stretch with 6 players.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I thought Smokin' Joe had "LOADED" IUP for success this year? Now it seems not??
    They have two legit guards. Armoni Foster is the third but he's never played at the collegiate level. I watched him play at the HS level and he has a ton of skill but will it translate to the D2 game? That's yet to be seen.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

They are loaded -- until one guard goes down.

#groundhogs-day

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Yeah ... not good. Dante is hurt in some capacity all season it seems. He plays through it but it is always something.

We know now Morrow had some legal issues last year, but ... didn't IUP know that when they signed him?

It's baffling.

Could always make Cobo the first 6'9" guard in PSAC history. I say that half jokingly. But, only half.
    I thought Smokin' Joe had "LOADED" IUP for success this year? Now it seems not??

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Yeah ... not good. Dante is hurt in some capacity all season it seems. He plays through it but it is always something.

We know now Morrow had some legal issues last year, but ... didn't IUP know that when they signed him?

It's baffling.

Could always make Cobo the first 6'9" guard in PSAC history. I say that half jokingly. But, only half.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

FESTIVUS is the Airing of Grievances

Several of you have made the same comments in private messages.

The first impression of this roster ... is, well, not what we expected.

After what we had to watch the last several years with absolutely zero depth (for a variety of reasons but nonetheless) ... the thought of one guard injury again causing mass chaos is alarming.

In theory this roster has 3 guards ready to play -- Miller, Dante and Foster. Foster, of course, has 0 minutes played at the collegiate level (although by all accounts he's the real deal). He's also, by the way, a point guard. So, are we to assume Dante is going to move to the the now-open (Morrow) shooting guard role and Foster will take over at the point? Makes sense, but I have a hard time seeing that happen.

Anthony White played in the PSAC tournament disaster last year but wasn't allowed to do anything. Bearer ... major question mark. That leaves Danscecs as the only other guard and he's a true freshman. On the surface, this position isn't good right now. What happens with the first rolled ankle? Back to playing walk-ons.

My other MAJOR beef is this Dom Keyes item. IUP loves to redshirt these transfers for some reason. Last year, when the team desperately needed bodies, and, in particular, bodies to play defense under the basket, ... Keyes sat at the end of the bench in a warm-up suit. There's no way they can say he wouldn't have helped them last season. Before Keyes it was Danielak who sat and watched despite the injuries rolling up. Now, he's gone. Turn to this year, ... and it's likely there will be another giant at the end of the bench in a warm-up suit (Ulrich). They won't likely need him this year. What they need is a scholarship guard on the active roster and not a scholarship post player in a warm-up suit.

Hey, if everything goes well and there are no injuries, suspensions, etc., ... this roster will be very good. The odds of that, however, just aren't very good. Dante has been injury-riddled for three years now.

Here's to hoping for a year of no technicals in Greensburg from 50' away and no injuries.

Happy Festivus, everybody.
    AGREED!!!

Samoa Joe certainly can't think they can rely on three guards all year!!! Especially, since one has no collegiate experience! He can't hardly think Humphries can play a major guard role when he is probably better suited as a 3/4 player. ONE injury away from disaster AGAIN!!!

Is Joe going to red shirt another big recruit again??? Losing Keyes and getting nothing out of him last year is a disgrace! They needed that big defensive presence last year and now nothing. Id Ulrich next??? What a disappointment!

If this roster doesn't suffer injury then fine, it's extremely talented BUT one guard injury and disaster again!!!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X