X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

If he makes grades fall semester then he would be eligible for spring semester. His clock is ticking because a player only has so much time complete their 4 years.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Out of curiosity ...

You said 'trying to get eligible' .... how does that work?

If you are ruled academically ineligible are you lost for a full semester? Mid-term grades?

Or, in football, a whole season (as it is only a one semester season)?

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Burns was a nice player but, regardless if she left or was asked to leave, I think she saw the writing on the wall with Carolyn Appleby arriving. She wasn't going to start over Appleby.

Anyway, I'm not sure how Joe's redshirting of transfer imports led to a Mo Burns discussion.

Regardless, ...

Dom Keyes is still at IUP (and was all summer) -- further making this all the more odd. He was also mentioned in the Gazette summer article. So, something happened between that article and the day the roster got posted. The team also doesn't appear to be at max scholarships anymore unless he's kicking some money to the walk-ons (doubtful).

Still not sure we have the whole story -- and/or roster, yet. There's likely somebody we don't know about yet or a planned mid-year transfer. I'm leaning toward the latter.
    I'm wondering if Keyes isn't academically eligible. IDK... I do also think that roster isn't final. Either Keyes is trying to get eligible or there is a midyear transfer. hmmmmmm

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    Impact as in she left (...abruptly) and became a nearly 1,000-point scorer (or did she get to 1,000?).

Burns was a nice player but, regardless if she left or was asked to leave, I think she saw the writing on the wall with Carolyn Appleby arriving. She wasn't going to start over Appleby.

Anyway, I'm not sure how Joe's redshirting of transfer imports led to a Mo Burns discussion.

Regardless, ...

Dom Keyes is still at IUP (and was all summer) -- further making this all the more odd. He was also mentioned in the Gazette summer article. So, something happened between that article and the day the roster got posted. The team also doesn't appear to be at max scholarships anymore unless he's kicking some money to the walk-ons (doubtful).

Still not sure we have the whole story -- and/or roster, yet. There's likely somebody we don't know about yet or a planned mid-year transfer. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Yeah ... that story goes a little deeper. I'll leave it at that. I'm not so sure I'd say Mo Burns 'left' the program.
    Impact as in she left (...abruptly) and became a nearly 1,000-point scorer (or did she get to 1,000?).

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Bonifacio, Tomer and Nkumsah were all true freshmen. That's a different animal. I'm referring to redshirting transfer imports. Two times in a row it backfired tremendously.

Blake Danielak got the redshirt. Before long that season IUP had a walk-on starting (CJ Rudisill). Dom Keyes got the redshirt last year on a team that couldn't defend air against a legit post player. On top of it the season got pis$ed away once adversity struck with absolutely no bench. Keyes is a legit post defender. Instead Joe insisted on playing Blake out of position down there. I think we all saw how that worked. You get away with that stuff against Clarion types. However, that could also be why this program has won just one NCAA game in three years, too (and missed two tournaments).
    CORRECT!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Yeah ... that story goes a little deeper. I'll leave it at that. I'm not so sure I'd say Mo Burns 'left' the program.
    Oh I know that story goes deeper. I got into a pissin match with some parents at Mercyhurst two years ago when she was a freshman. They didn't like the truth to much. hahaha

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It is maddening to see talent not utilized because of redshirts, but when has a player who was redshirted left IUP and gone on to success? Before Dom Keyes, it was Jeremy Bonifacio or Travis Tomer Jeremiah Nkumsah -- guys who who came into the program, had a lot of talent, reshirted and then left. Maybe all of their skill was increased from some YouTube highlights then relayed onto this board. I'm inclined to think if they would have been assets to the program, Joe would have used them somehow. I'm also inclined to think if down the road they would be assets, they would still be with the program. But they left for likely various reasons and none have really gone on to noteworthy basketball success.

I'm talking impact players at this or higher level. A prime example would be Mo Burns leaving the IUP women's program then becoming an all-league player.

Bonifacio, Tomer and Nkumsah were all true freshmen. That's a different animal. I'm referring to redshirting transfer imports. Two times in a row it backfired tremendously.

Blake Danielak got the redshirt. Before long that season IUP had a walk-on starting (CJ Rudisill). Dom Keyes got the redshirt last year on a team that couldn't defend air against a legit post player. On top of it the season got pis$ed away once adversity struck with absolutely no bench. Keyes is a legit post defender. Instead Joe insisted on playing Blake out of position down there. I think we all saw how that worked. You get away with that stuff against Clarion types. However, that could also be why this program has won just one NCAA game in three years, too (and missed two tournaments).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Mo Burns was an impact player? Yes, she lead Wheeling in scoring but did she make the rest of the team better? They were 12-17, I remember Mo being a chucker and getting hers. I truly think that's why Tom let her go!

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

It is maddening to see talent not utilized because of redshirts, but when has a player who was redshirted left IUP and gone on to success? Before Dom Keyes, it was Jeremy Bonifacio or Travis Tomer Jeremiah Nkumsah -- guys who who came into the program, had a lot of talent, reshirted and then left. Maybe all of their skill was increased from some YouTube highlights then relayed onto this board. I'm inclined to think if they would have been assets to the program, Joe would have used them somehow. I'm also inclined to think if down the road they would be assets, they would still be with the program. But they left for likely various reasons and none have really gone on to noteworthy basketball success.

I'm talking impact players at this or higher level. A prime example would be Mo Burns leaving the IUP women's program then becoming an all-league player.
    Mo Burns was an impact player? Yes, she lead Wheeling in scoring but did she make the rest of the team better? They were 12-17, I remember Mo being a chucker and getting hers. I truly think that's why Tom let her go!

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

The redshirt thing ... I see the point of it, BUT, there's no guarantee the kids will even be back the following season. And, Joe will always have a full deck of money to play with ... can always find the next guy. I'm of the opinion to put all your cards on the table. Then, of course, you don't have to play a critical 6-game stretch with 6 players.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Yeah but around these parts we go from Anthony Glover to intramural players. The drop is extravagant.
    Sounds like a coaching recruting philosophy issue to me. Works Great if no one gets hurt...but if one of the top five/six gets hurt, youre asking intermural players to play quality minutes. If they were capable of that, they probably would be playing elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Seems like there are a few teams that can say something very similar!!
    Yeah but around these parts we go from Anthony Glover to intramural players. The drop is extravagant.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

They are loaded -- until one guard goes down.

#groundhogs-day
    Seems like there are a few teams that can say something very similar!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

One other thing to keep in mind is Joe already stated they are going with the big lineup this year.

He announced the Starting Five to be:

Krivacevic
    Cobo
    Willem
    Dante
    Malik

6th & 7th: Humphries and Armoni

8th: Danscecs/Bearer

That starting lineup has (3) at 6'9 or taller who can all shoot outside. That's nuts at this level. When you look at it that way (and Joe typically only plays 7 guys -- 8 max) ... it's fine. Just cross your fingers for no injuries. Imagine trying to defend that lineup. Not easy. Krivacevic is a more aggressive version of Cobo from all reports.

My personal opinion is Morrow saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to come here and play 10 mpg.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X