• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Point Park at IUP

Kevin Reynolds returns.
        Bring the house down heckling him.

Comment

Point Park at IUP

Kevin Reynolds returns.
          Does he still hold the record for KCAC technical fouls?

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post

Does he still hold the record for KCAC technical fouls?
            LOL

I'd have to look it up but I'd guess without question.

His most famous technical cost them their shot to finally win in Indiana back in '13-'14. That night was the toughest I've ever heard an IUP crowd go after a coach. It started in warm-ups. He finally just lost it with about 90 seconds to play.

He did an incredible job at Point Park last year. It won't be long until he's back in the West.

As for this upcoming game, his team won't be a pushover. They are dramatically better than the PSU-Altoona types. I suspect they will stay within 20 or so. They played Walsh tough last year for about 30 minutes or so.

I do find it somewhat odd Joe took the game. Him and KR weren't exactly close friends. Time heals, I suppose.

Comment

LOL

His most famous technical cost them their shot to finally win in Indiana back in '13-'14. That night was the toughest I've ever heard an IUP crowd go after a coach. It started in warm-ups. He finally just lost it with about 90 seconds to play.

He did an incredible job at Point Park last year. It won't be long until he's back in the West.

As for this upcoming game, his team won't be a pushover. They are dramatically better than the PSU-Altoona types. I suspect they will stay within 20 or so. They played Walsh tough last year for about 30 minutes or so.

I do find it somewhat odd Joe took the game. Him and KR weren't exactly close friends. Time heals, I suppose.
              Maybe Kevin asked to be an assistant coach and they mended fences over Levity brews and Subs n Suds

Comment

• Roster is posted.

No surprises other than Joe signed a PG from Turkey that none of us knew about. He played a post-grad year in the States last year so he's a year older than the typical freshman.

With a little over a month to opening night there's next to no buzz about this team. Perhaps that's a good thing.

Talking to some in the know, most seem to think this is a 20-8 type bubble team.

A few think this will be a pretty strong team.

I have no opinion yet.

Positives:

* Way less hype
                * They got bigger, faster and more athletic overall
                * He's deeper (not that it matters as he'll only play 7 guys).
                ​​​​​​* Joe addressed the PG issue. Word is this guy from Akron is legit.
                * Ethan Porterfield is fully healthy.
                * Joe added a big, pure SG that they desperately needed.
                * Dallas Dillard and Jaylen Stewart should both emerge as go-to players

Negatives:

* Lot of new faces
                * Tough early schedule. Expect growing pains.

Comment

• Depth is what I worry about. Are they deep? We'll never know because Joe always ends up playing 7 guys then KJ as 8. WHY???

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                    Depth is what I worry about. Are they deep? We'll never know because Joe always ends up playing 7 guys then KJ as 8. WHY???
                    Joe loves some KJ

KJ and his five positions aside, Joe does have five solid guards. I'd have to think Dillard, Stewart and Clarke start, with the SG and Denzel off the bench.

Underneath he'll play Ethan 32 mpg. Waldo and Brooks will both play. Brooks can't go more than 15 mpg. He'd foul out. We'll see in Romero-Sans plays right away in some capacity.

I think Joe could go (9) deep although we know that won't happen. KJ would be the 10th man in that scenario.
                    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-03-2023, 02:26 PM.

Comment

LOL

Was this the game that Devante Chance hit a layup in the waning seconds of a tie game? May have been like 2-3 seconds left. SRU threw up a heave at the buzzer that was off the mark. I remember that one. That was a fun game with a great crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Was this the game that Devante Chance hit a layup in the waning seconds of a tie game? May have been like 2-3 seconds left. SRU threw up a heave at the buzzer that was off the mark. I remember that one. That was a fun game with a great crowd.
                        Mathis scored the layup with I think 3 seconds left. That game was a war. IUP won, 66-64. I don't think there was ever more than 4 points separation.

Too to bottom, that was one of my favorite games ever in the KCAC. Regular season-wise, I think it was the best atmosphere in building history.

Comment

Mathis scored the layup with I think 3 seconds left. That game was a war. IUP won, 66-64. I don't think there was ever more than 4 points separation.

Too to bottom, that was one of my favorite games ever in the KCAC. Regular season-wise, I think it was the best atmosphere in building history.
                          You're right. It was Mathis. I completely forgot that he was on that team. That was one of those "near miss" type teams. 3OT loss to WL in which they blew the lead down the stretch (before Marcel hit that miraculous corner three).

I think that team was actually better than the team the next year that went to the championship game. The dynamic that was added in 2015 was Shawn Dyer shooting from deep, but I felt like there was more balance and depth in 2015. Marcel caused such a matchup problem for many teams. He was a thick 6'7" or 6'8" and caused a problem inside for many teams. But he could also stretch the floor and shoot the lights out when he had to. We talk a lot about some of the best teams of the Joe-era. Marcel seems to always get left off. I think he is one of my favorite players I've seen at IUP.

Comment

• Been quiet here. Giving this a plug.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                              Been quiet here. Giving this a plug.

This has been the most quiet preseason for IUP in at least 15 years. Nobody is talking much about this team -- on here or in town. Perhaps that's a good thing.

The consensus seems to be this will be a "we'll see" kind of season.

Joe has a slew of solid guards. Logic would say the 5 guards in the rotation will be:

Jaylen Stewart - He should be much more effective this year moving back to his natural SG position (played a lot of PG out of necessity a year ago).

Garvin Clarke - Day 1 starting PG - and will be the first true PG at IUP in years. Dynamic on both ends.

Dallis Dillard - Held back a year ago in my opinion. He should emerge as a go-to scorer this year. Very strong defender.

Josh Petteno - The big SG Joe desperately needed ... shot nearly 40% from deep in D2 last year. Scored 26 against Chowan.

Denzel Kabasele - Figures to be Joe's big, physical defender at the guard position. Strong, athletic guard. Not likely to score much this year but rather take on Joe's famous 'garbage man' role.

Under the basket, things get a little more questionable.

Ethan Porterfield (6'8", 230 lbs) - He's healthy and ready to roll per reports. No questions here.

Damir Brooks (6'6", 220 lbs) - Played about 10 mpg a year ago. Certainly a spark-plug player. Very raw as a freshman. Projects to be a bigger, more physical Tevin Hanner.

Dolan Waldo (6'7", 190 lbs) - Joe's prized SF recruit of a year ago ... likely in starting lineup on opening night. Projects as a 'five tool' player but needed to bulk up some.

Gabriel Romero-Sanz (6'8, 220 lbs) - Listed as a freshman but is older ... played post-grad. He's having a good camp. Very athletic for his size and can handle the ball.

Rounding out the roster:

K.J. Rhodes - Assume he will fill the utility role again this year.

Jordan Lambert - High school PG recruit ... assuming redshirt season.

Anthony Watson - Teammate of Waldo's at Bethel Park. Played last year on a loaded BCCC team. Not sure what to expect here. Could redshirt due to lack of available minutes.

Sarp Fulton - From Turkey ... played last year at DME Academy in FL. Big guard at 6'4". Late addition.

Callum MacNamara - Entered portal after last season but stuck around. Well-liked on team and gives Joe a big body in an emergency (think Shawn Ulrich).

Comment

• Coming it at #4 in a Preseason Top 25 Poll released today- posted on the team's Twitter account.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X