Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

He won a state title with zero Philly area teams playing and most of Pittsburgh not playing. Let’s not forget that!

When you speak inappropriately to HS girls, you’re not going to have a job. Prep kept that hidden. Dirty! Why Joe asked him back is very confusing to me.
    Unfortunately allegations hurt whether proven or not. Allegations were unfounded and I personally know a family that was involved with the ordeal and their daughter admitted the other girls lied because there was animosity towards Steve for some kind of (appropriate) disciplinary action he took against the other girls.

But once you're viewed guilty you're guilty.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

Unfortunately allegations hurt whether proven or not. Allegations were unfounded and I personally know a family that was involved with the ordeal and their daughter admitted the other girls lied because there was animosity towards Steve for some kind of (appropriate) disciplinary action he took against the other girls.

Unfortunately, there are some posters who seem to deal in the rumor mill and post items that have very little factual basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

Even 'allegations' have to be taken extremely seriously in a school setting (by law) -- often times with the authorities involved immediately. How did Cathedral Prep handle it?

I don't remember this guy at all from his one year at IUP (a very long time ago).

I did find it kind of odd he'd actually want this job (at his age). I know he's not old, but he's not young, either. And, he's already been here. The job hardly pays anything. It just seems like a strange career move to take a D2 assistant job at this point.

Joe's last four teams here all won the PSAC title. I don't know how much coaching he had to do during that stretch. He's going to have to coach this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Even 'allegations' have to be taken extremely seriously in a school setting (by law) -- often times with the authorities involved immediately. How did Cathedral Prep handle it?

I don't remember this guy at all from his one year at IUP (a very long time ago).

I did find it kind of odd he'd actually want this job (at his age). I know he's not old, but he's not young, either. And, he's already been here. The job hardly pays anything. It just seems like a strange career move to take a D2 assistant job at this point.

Joe's last four teams here all won the PSAC title. I don't know how much coaching he had to do during that stretch. He's going to have to coach this year.
          Just curious. Do you think Joe did enough coaching last year? I thought the PSAC was down a little last year — certainly there were no super teams in the Eastern Division. IUP had a clear edge in talent over the great majority of the league and had an impressive record, but they certainly did not seem inspired the last few weeks of the season. It didn't seem hard to predict the loss to West Liberty in the regional final. It isn't often I'd think a team that won 30-plus games could have played better, but I did think that about IUP last year. and was puzzled by their erratic offensive performances. It is a testament to the talent of Shawndale Jones that he probably didn't play up to his full potential last season and was still all-league. Let me make it clear that I know that many wins and a league title would be a banner season at just about any school.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Just curious. Do you think Joe did enough coaching last year? I thought the PSAC was down a little last year — certainly there were no super teams in the Eastern Division. IUP had a clear edge in talent over the great majority of the league and had an impressive record, but they certainly did not seem inspired the last few weeks of the season. It didn't seem hard to predict the loss to West Liberty in the regional final. It isn't often I'd think a team that won 30-plus games could have played better, but I did think that about IUP last year. and was puzzled by their erratic offensive performances. It is a testament to the talent of Shawndale Jones that he probably didn't play up to his full potential last season and was still all-league. Let me make it clear that I know that many wins and a league title would be a banner season at just about any school.
            There were two views of last year.

(1) the team went 32-2 and won its fourth straight PSAC title. That's what most saw from a distance.

(2) was the view those of us had who watched every game (and saw them peak in early January against ESU)

That's as far as I'll go in to at this point. That team was cooked by mid-February. It's actually impressive they got as far as they did.

Comment

I thought the job paid very well for an assistant job… but I could be wrong. Maybe that was before the budget issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by gman16506 View Post

Unfortunately, there are some posters who seem to deal in the rumor mill and post items that have very little factual basis.
                Well, this “rumor” had legs!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

I thought the job paid very well for an assistant job… but I could be wrong. Maybe that was before the budget issues.
                  If you're in you're mid-30s and want to make in the 40s .,. have at it

Comment

Well, this “rumor” had legs!
                    So Coach Joe is hiring an individual with real baggage? One would think that Joe would have done his due diligence on this matter before extending an offer.

Comment

So Coach Joe is hiring an individual with real baggage? One would think that Joe would have done his due diligence on this matter before extending an offer.
                      Cathedral Prep hid the situation for crying out loud. Typical

Comment

Cathedral Prep hid the situation for crying out loud. Typical
                        First, I guess the conclusion is that Joe didn't perform his due diligence before he extended the offer. Secondly, If Cathedral Prep "hid" the situation, how do you know so much about it, but Joe doesn't? Typical.

I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about this situation, but I do know that an adult better be damn sure of the facts before posting something that has the potential to affect another man's career. Maybe the school and the proper authorities investigated the situation and determined there was nothing there, and on that basis the IUP Coach made the hiring decision? Is that a possibility or did Joe just hire a man with issues???

Comment

• Joe doesn't work in HR. He doesn't hire anybody. IUP is state-owned and has a hiring procedure. He makes a selection and then said person has to be vetted by the university.

Redshirt Joe isn't running background checks. That's up to Sutton Hall.

If Joe Blow was never charged with anything, it's not going to show up on any checks.

Comment

Joe doesn't work in HR. He doesn't hire anybody. IUP is state-owned and has a hiring procedure. He makes a selection and then said person has to be vetted by the university.

Redshirt Joe isn't running background checks. That's up to Sutton Hall.

If Joe Blow was never charged with anything, it's not going to show up on any checks.
                            A fair point about the involvement of HR and it reinforces that there is a vetting process that this new assistant coach must have gone through and passed. I further agree that if an individual is not formally charged there will be no criminal record, but that is where the interview process with the HR professionals comes into play. If they do their job, they will pick up on inconsistencies and holes in the work history (among other things) of an individual. I do stand by my original concern that if you are going to post something of this nature, you better be right as the harm to the individual involved and to his family is unmeasurable.

Now back to basketball, I read in the Trib-Review that Clev Wright of Gannon got a commitment from Olivia Pepple of Penn-Trafford. Was wondering if anyone has seen her play and had any thoughts on her as an addition to the program?

Comment

A fair point about the involvement of HR and it reinforces that there is a vetting process that this new assistant coach must have gone through and passed. I further agree that if an individual is not formally charged there will be no criminal record, but that is where the interview process with the HR professionals comes into play. If they do their job, they will pick up on inconsistencies and holes in the work history (among other things) of an individual. I do stand by my original concern that if you are going to post something of this nature, you better be right as the harm to the individual involved and to his family is unmeasurable.

Now back to basketball, I read in the Trib-Review that Clev Wright of Gannon got a commitment from Olivia Pepple of Penn-Trafford. Was wondering if anyone has seen her play and had any thoughts on her as an addition to the program?
                              He's a phenomenal D2 coach. If he signed her trust the process.

Everybody thought he'd be the new coach at IUP (with double with his GU salary). Todd elected to ride out his interim.

Comment

I don't think many care about the women's side. Carry on...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X