Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It was just mentioned that they'll have an extra officer there when hearing about a good IUP student presence. It's not like Seton Hill is sending a bus.
    Like I said, if it was a community bus they'd fill it up. Easily.

I'd be shocked if more than 10 students sign up. They just don't care.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

At many of our schools the announced gate is about as scientific as Johnny asking Bobby what number he thinks they should put in the box.
      I don't know... watching several game streams they can count each one.

Comment

I don't know... watching several game streams they can count each one.
        That's true. A few may be low but several of those are reaching for sure.

Comment

• You wouldn't know it based on all the drama, close games, Dante Lombardi being launched in to Row 4 by Micah Till, Kevin Reynolds blow-ups, etc., but IUP is 22-4 against Slippery Rock in the past 26 meetings.

It's well-documented SRU hasn't won a game in Indiana since 1991. But, things have been a bit different in Morrow Field House.

Joe Lombardi has lost four times at Slippery Rock. He's also escaped with some stunning, walk-off wins.

In fact, Joe's last team to go there undefeated (and ranked No. 3) ... lost, 74-69 (2018-19). IUP won the return game a few weeks later, 77-48. And, that, is the perfect example of what has happened in this series -- in that building. Some very, very strange things. And, I'm not even (yet) talking about the phantom scoreboard malfunctions that occur yearly during IUP runs.

IUP's visit to Morrow is the lone basketball event of the year at Slippery Rock, and, it's a big one. It's their yearly White Out night. The home team also plays really well. Reference above.

IUP's last three wins at Morrow have come by just 5, 4 and 2 points. In the two-point win, Anthony Glover drilled a walk-off three-pointer as time expired. A couple years alter Malik Miller drained the same three-pointer -- from nearly the same spot. A year ago, it was Armoni Foster draining the late three to seal the game -- again from nearly the same spot.

Even the 2014-15 team -- the same team that made the National Final -- lost in Morrow, 75-71.

Now, let's not feel too sad for IUP. The Crimson Hawks have won 5 straight in the series and 9 of the past 10 meetings.

But, here is a crazy stat about those past 10 games (5 games in each venue):

Games played at the KCAC, the average score is 83.4 to 64.0 in favor of IUP

Games played at Morrow, the average score is 69.8 to 65.6 in favor of IUP

I'm no mathematician, but IUP is winning by 20 points in the KCAC and a hair above 4 in Morrow. That's an incredible difference. To its credit, SRU really rises up for this particular game -- in this particular venue. In fact, it looked like IUP was going to get blown out of the building a year ago before making a massive comeback and eventually winning late.

The drama, hatred and near brawls of the Reynolds era are gone. The games have been pretty respectful under Ian Grady's watch.

The Rock currently sits at 6-6 in the PSAC and 12-6 overall -- on a two-game skid.

I can promise one thing: They will not look like a 6-6 PSAC team tomorrow night. They may in a couple weeks in the KCAC, but they won't tomorrow. This is the rare team in the league that matches up fairly well with IUP -- size and athletically. The knock on SRU is they can tend to play more individual basketball than team basketball. They won't tomorrow.

IUP has a history of painfully slow starts in Morrow. All that does is make things a lot worse. Joe needs a fast start tomorrow to quiet that anti-IUP crowd. Sooner or later, these past couple magical comebacks up there aren't going to happen.

A fast start by IUP puts added pressure on the home team, which isn't used to playing in front of a full house.

Theories aside, I suspect it will be another 70-66 game. As usual.

Comment

• If IUP plays a first half like they did on Monday - ice cold shooting and Joe sitting there like a grandpa watching t-ball - they're going to be in big trouble.

Comment

If IUP plays a first half like they did on Monday - ice cold shooting and Joe sitting there like a grandpa watching t-ball - they're going to be in big trouble.
              IUP will be just fine. They’ve already played and will continue to play some lackluster basketball for stretches in games throughout the season. All great teams do. I know it concerns some but it’s not realistic for any college team, no matter how good, to be on its “A” game for every half of every game. They might even get beat along the way, which is fine as well. It may even happen tomorrow. It’s nearly impossible to run the table. The reality is, if IUP can remain healthy, they’re the best team in the region. They’ve shown time and time again they can survive spurts of poor play, and they’ve also shown they’ll be fully focused against better competition.

With regard to Joe, it’s pretty hard to question his approach given his body of work. He knows when to push and when to sit back. About the only area I sometimes question him on is leaving starters in late when the game has been decided. There isn’t one team in the PSAC that wouldn’t want him on their bench.

Comment

• The winter storm looks like it will be pretty much through by mid-day. I’m not sure how late in the day the league goes before deciding on playing a game, but it looks like things should be clear well before tipoff.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                  The winter storm looks like it will be pretty much through by mid-day. I’m not sure how late in the day the league goes before deciding on playing a game, but it looks like things should be clear well before tipoff.
                  I'm going to watch it tomorrow. I'd like to go up. That ride back across 422 can be a biatch in bad weather. I've went up the past 4-5 years. Always entertaining.

Comment

• Sounds like they filled up about half the fan bus as of last night. Hopefully they get some more today.

Not sure if the typical IUP 'townie' crowd will make the trip or not. It appears the forecast be be better by mid-afternoon.

I still wouldn't be shocked if they play this game tomorrow rather than tonight. But, that decision would have to drop here pretty quickly.

Comment

• Rock had a 2 hour delay today but it looks like they only got no more than an inch. Should be fine. But you're right, even in good weather 422 at night can be rough.

Comment

Rock had a 2 hour delay today but it looks like they only got no more than an inch. Should be fine. But you're right, even in good weather 422 at night can be rough.
                        It's a go.

Comment

• Just a reminder for those attending ... The IUP men and women use different benches up there. It's strange but true.

i.e. the women use the bench near the entrance ... the men then use the other end.

So, if you want to sit behind the teams ... You just move in between games. Obviously that's a Rock thing and not IUP's decision. It is the only school that does it that I'm aware.

Comment

Just a reminder for those attending ... The IUP men and women use different benches up there. It's strange but true.

i.e. the women use the bench near the entrance ... the men then use the other end.

So, if you want to sit behind the teams ... You just move in between games. Obviously that's a Rock thing and not IUP's decision. It is the only school that does it that I'm aware.
                            Hurst used to do the bench switch before they did the remodel. Now they both use the same bench.

Comment

Just a reminder for those attending ... The IUP men and women use different benches up there. It's strange but true.

There's a high school around here that does it that way. It has to do with proximity to the locker rooms (i.e., one bench provides easier access to the women's locker room, and the other bench more proximity to the men's locker room). Might be a situation like that. But definitely odd to see something like that at the college level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

There's a high school around here that does it that way. It has to do with proximity to the locker rooms (i.e., one bench provides easier access to the women's locker room, and the other bench more proximity to the men's locker room). Might be a situation like that. But definitely odd to see something like that at the college level.
                                It's a bit odd for sure.

I actually like Morrow Field House. The parking sucks but it's a nice throwback to an older era. They've updated it nicely. It's extremely bright inside. Retton is like that down at Fairmont. It's always nuts the nights IUP is there, too, which makes it a great atmosphere.

It's funny watching on the live feed how some of these gyms look so dark and then you go to Morrow or Retton in person and need sunglasses. Gannon's broadcast, aside from being 1983-Atari-fuzzy, is extremely dark.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X