Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    Once or twice we've actually seen a referee become fed up with obvious stall tactics and start his count even before the ball is in the inbounder's hands. Not sure if the rules actually give him that discretion or not, but we've seen it a few times. But more often than not, the refs call it by the letter of the law and don't start the count until the inbounder is set. And I think that's why WLU has somewhat pridefully started the "stand over the ball" move. As if to say: "you wanna stall . . . we're still right here waiting to trap you."

But you're right. Just pausing to take a breath can be beneficial to a team in remaining composed against attempts to enforce chaos. In IUP's case, I suspect they have the experience to remain composed whether they stall or not. I'm not sure the stall can make uncomposed players gain composure. A team like D&E will try to stall WLU and then still give it away as soon as they inbound it.

Composure can't be found in a tactic; it has to be found in the mind of mature/experienced players. And IUP has those in spades. Rock: maybe not so much.

I remember the regional 3-4 years ago when ESU played WL at the KCAC. I think WL won in OT (if I recall correctly). I sat in the front row of that game and got tired watching it. lol. I was actually worried for the officials' health.

Good Lord was that a fast-paced game. That was interesting to see two teams that play the same style (basically) go at each other at full speed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
      Once or twice we've actually seen a referee become fed up with obvious stall tactics and start his count even before the ball is in the inbounder's hands. Not sure if the rules actually give him that discretion or not, but we've seen it a few times. But more often than not, the refs call it by the letter of the law and don't start the count until the inbounder is set. And I think that's why WLU has somewhat pridefully started the "stand over the ball" move. As if to say: "you wanna stall . . . we're still right here waiting to trap you."

But you're right. Just pausing to take a breath can be beneficial to a team in remaining composed against attempts to enforce chaos. In IUP's case, I suspect they have the experience to remain composed whether they stall or not. I'm not sure the stall can make uncomposed players gain composure. A team like D&E will try to stall WLU and then still give it away as soon as they inbound it.

Composure can't be found in a tactic; it has to be found in the mind of mature/experienced players. And IUP has those in spades. Rock: maybe not so much.
      Good points.
      Traditional wisdom says to inbound ball asap before team sets up the press. However, wlu instantly transitions from offense to defense so that strategy does not work. They guard the closest player to them regardless of position.
      imho the stalling is a fatigue mitigation tactic, like retying your shoes during a stoppage of play. It buys time for the aerobic energy system to generate fuel for the depleted anaerobic energy systems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Good points.
        Traditional wisdom says to inbound ball asap before team sets up the press. However, wlu instantly transitions from offense to defense so that strategy does not work. They guard the closest player to them regardless of position.
        imho the stalling is a fatigue mitigation tactic, like retying your shoes during a stoppage of play. It buys time for the aerobic energy system to generate fuel for the depleted anaerobic energy systems.
        Perhaps sometimes but ESU looked like the more-gassed team in the second half. IUP doesn't press but plays a lot of really good guys. I agree with IUPAlum. It was all to disrupt their rhythm and it worked.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

A lot of truth to that. Brooks has a lot of talent but yes, he needs to get stronger and also develop a shot. Right now he’s no threat offensively other than dunks and lay ups!

Brooks is a pretty strong dude now and he's a redshirt freshman. He could be a total house in a year or two. I think he could turn in to an offensive of version Daddy Ugbede by his junior year. He's already a better defender than Daddy was (mainly because Daddy was instant foul trouble on the defensive end).

I'd agree his shooting likely needs work (he does have a nice FT shot). However, his threat is these crazy dunks and layups. He's not a surprise anymore on the floor. These teams are paying more attention to him as they don't want to end up on a poster. The advantage he is bringing is others are getting less attention. I know the dunk is only two points and the same as a layup, but there's still something about his dunks that really gets the crowd and team fired up. He's their 'highest flyer' since Tevin Hanner. His defense has also improved dramatically since November. He's playing more and more which shows the big guy is starting to trust him. It's been a long time since Joe's had a third, quality big. He's become a very nice luxury. Him giving the team 8-12 quality minutes is huge.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Perhaps sometimes but ESU looked like the more-gassed team in the second half. IUP doesn't press but plays a lot of really good guys. I agree with IUPAlum. It was all to disrupt their rhythm and it worked.
            Good points. I did not watch the game. I was rambling on using the context of wlu opponents, when wlu is on the verge of a blackout.

From watching esu vs wlu last year, i thought their press was a work in progress.
            Esu had 26 turnovers with wlu forcing 13 steals. Wlu had 16 turnovers with esu forcing 4 steals. Esu had 10 assists while wlu had 24 assists. Of course, every year has new players so it may not be all that relevant.

Comment

• I was expecting to see Redshirt Joe pony up for another student bus tomorrow night. Guess not.

I have more concerns about this trip to Greensburg than I did for SRU or ESU. I thought they were going to hammer the Rock and would be up for the Warriors.

Strange stuff happens down there. Luckily they've had a few days away to come back down after two highly emotional games.

Comment

I was expecting to see Redshirt Joe pony up for another student bus tomorrow night. Guess not.

I have more concerns about this trip to Greensburg than I did for SRU or ESU. I thought they were going to hammer the Rock and would be up for the Warriors.

Strange stuff happens down there. Luckily they've had a few days away to come back down after two highly emotional games.
                I expect IUP to win easily. They’ve blown them out of their own building the last two trips down there and while Seton Hill has improved, this is the best version of IUP they’ve faced.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I expect IUP to win easily. They’ve blown them out of their own building the last two trips down there and while Seton Hill has improved, this is the best version of IUP they’ve faced.
                  Joe's certainly the favorite down there tonight. But, I would add this is also the best version of Seton Hill since the year IUP lost down there (only loss in series history). Their last two teams were God awful and poorly coached. So, that's a tough comparison.

Sean Dillon is also playing tonight (he missed the first meeting). That's a huge upgrade compared to what IUP faced a month ago. IUP won that game, 76-55, but was up just 6 at the half and just 10 with 7 minutes left in the game. So, it was a pretty tight game even sans Dillon for 34 minutes. Seton Hill also played at the KCAC without its head coach, who was out with Covid. IUP forced 17 turnovers in that game against their converted point guard. IUP also shot a dismal 22.2% from deep (6-27) against their zone. Tomiwa battled foul trouble and played just 24 minutes. That surely didn't help.

With their best player back and now with the game being played in the yellow shoebox, I think there is some cause for concern tonight.

Consider this: Seton Hill has defeated Shippensburg, East Stroudsburg and Pitt-Johnstown in Greensburg this year. Those aren't pushovers.

OK. That was the Lou Holtz "what are we going to do" rant.

In all seriousness, this is a duplicate of last Wednesday at Slippery Rock. Start Fast. Eliminate hope. Eliminate the crowd. Get it done. IUP is much better today than it was a month ago -- largely due to Jaylen Stewart's emergence since then.

But, if they start slow and get the crowd rocking tonight -- much like that night 7 years ago -- it can get dicey down there in a hurry. I do expect a large IUP road crowd tonight so that will help.

Comment

Joe's certainly the favorite down there tonight. But, I would add this is also the best version of Seton Hill since the year IUP lost down there (only loss in series history). Their last two teams were God awful and poorly coached. So, that's a tough comparison.

Sean Dillon is also playing tonight (he missed the first meeting). That's a huge upgrade compared to what IUP faced a month ago. IUP won that game, 76-55, but was up just 6 at the half and just 10 with 7 minutes left in the game. So, it was a pretty tight game even sans Dillon for 34 minutes. Seton Hill also played at the KCAC without its head coach, who was out with Covid. IUP forced 17 turnovers in that game against their converted point guard. IUP also shot a dismal 22.2% from deep (6-27) against their zone. Tomiwa battled foul trouble and played just 24 minutes. That surely didn't help.

With their best player back and now with the game being played in the yellow shoebox, I think there is some cause for concern tonight.

Consider this: Seton Hill has defeated Shippensburg, East Stroudsburg and Pitt-Johnstown in Greensburg this year. Those aren't pushovers.

In all seriousness, this is a duplicate of last Wednesday at Slippery Rock. Start Fast. Eliminate hope. Eliminate the crowd. Get it done. IUP is much better today than it was a month ago -- largely due to Jaylen Stewart's emergence since then.

But, if they start slow and get the crowd rocking tonight -- much like that night 7 years ago -- it can get dicey down there in a hurry. I do expect a large IUP road crowd tonight so that will help.
                    IUP has to make their shots around the elbow (Jones/Ethan). That's the key. They make those early and it will open the rest of the offense.

Comment

I just started a new job out here 2 weeks ago. I was talking college basketball with my coworkers early this morning. I think they may think I'm deranged discussing that I'm a little nervous for IUP playing a road game at Seton Hill. Considering that none of the folks I was talking to have even heard of either school LOL.

Big night of hoops. I'll have the boys from Oakland in Chapel Hill on the big screen and likely be working two computers to watch IUP-Seton Hill and WLU-WVSU.

This is March.. Wait.. February...

Comment

• I swear these dang schools purposely F up their broadcast to piss IUP fans off!

Comment

• I don’t like the blown lead when they could’ve buried them early, but IUP needs a game like this. Adversity on the road against an engaged crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                            I don’t like the blown lead when they could’ve buried them early, but IUP needs a game like this. Adversity on the road against an engaged crowd.
                            I’m not worried, this team looks calm even after the blown lead. They got cute trying to blow them out.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                              I don’t like the blown lead when they could’ve buried them early, but IUP needs a game like this. Adversity on the road against an engaged crowd.
                              For whatever reason, this is their MO. Although, this is a good Seton Hill team, so I didn’t think it’d be a blowout. I’ll be interested to see what the 2nd half looks like. Thinking Joe is going to really get into them at halftime - I wouldn’t want to be in that room.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post

For whatever reason, this is their MO. Although, this is a good Seton Hill team, so I didn’t think it’d be a blowout. I’ll be interested to see what the 2nd half looks like. Thinking Joe is going to really get into them at halftime - I wouldn’t want to be in that room.
                                No need to get into them. They have to shoot better than 38% That’s the problem! Poor shooting!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X