Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question becomes how long does Joe hold out. My guess is not very long.

I think Dallis Dillard will be Joe's next star, but I'm not sure that will happen this coming winter. I think he's poised to breakout the following two years.

It's pretty safe to say right now the starting lineup come early November is:

PG - ?
    G - David Morris
    G - Shawndale Jones
    F - Ethan Porterfield
    F - Tomiwa Sulaiman

Bench: Kyle Polce, Dillard, Damir Brooks, Radford, Diop, KJ

I woudn't be shocked if he adds not only a PG but also another hybrid SF/SG.

This has to be treated as an 'all in' year. I doubt they get more than the coming season out of Tomiwa. After next year, Ethan could also decide to move along for his senior year.

We have to pray Shawndale's recovery goes smooth, too. From what I hear, he's doing exceptionally well.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Question becomes how long does Joe hold out. My guess is not very long.

I think Dallis Dillard will be Joe's next star, but I'm not sure that will happen this coming winter. I think he's poised to breakout the following two years.

It's pretty safe to say right now the starting lineup come early November is:

PG - ?
      G - David Morris
      G - Shawndale Jones
      F - Ethan Porterfield
      F - Tomiwa Sulaiman

Bench: Kyle Polce, Dillard, Damir Brooks, Radford, Diop, KJ

I woudn't be shocked if he adds not only a PG but also another hybrid SF/SG.

This has to be treated as an 'all in' year. I doubt they get more than the coming season out of Tomiwa. After next year, Ethan could also decide to move along for his senior year.

We have to pray Shawndale's recovery goes smooth, too. From what I hear, he's doing exceptionally well.
      When the roster gets posted on Nov. 10, we'll see how right you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post

When the roster gets posted on Nov. 10, we'll see how right you are.
        We'll know long before November.

Comment

Guess that Hawks16 knows it all. Where was he all year? hahahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Guess that Hawks16 knows it all. Where was he all year? hahahaha
            I do remember the days (pre-social media) when they'd keep that roster sealed in the vault under the Field House until essentially opening night.

Nowadays, though, that roster leaks quickly. The only secret heading in to the official roster reveal will be the deep bench -- and, most years, that leaks on here, too. Twitter, etc., has meant they can't even hide the local walk-on from Saltsburg signing anymore.

Comment

Who needs me???

Comment

• Based on the first 48 hours in the portal ... would probably say the hope of Armoni returning is toast

He's been contacted by 25+ D1 programs -- highlighted by Missouri, Alabama and South Carolina.

St. Bonaventure and several other mid-majors are also in the picture.

Comment

• The IUP-Bonas path would be interesting. Armoni could probably step in and be the starting point guard if he went north. I guess a good note on that one is that Joe recruited JR Bremer, who had a cup of coffee with the Celtics and Cavs, to Bonaventure when he was an assistant there. Bremer was a volunteer coach at IUP a couple years back. Comparing Indiana to Allegany (not Olean) is like night and day...I think Allegany has a Dunkin and that's about it with 1/10 the student population.

It appears Alabama just signed a transfer all-MAC guard from Ohio U who is an Alabama native.

Comment

Based on the first 48 hours in the portal ... would probably say the hope of Armoni returning is toast

He's been contacted by 25+ D1 programs -- highlighted by Missouri, Alabama and South Carolina.

St. Bonaventure and several other mid-majors are also in the picture.
                    College basketball is strange. I just hate what this has turned into. Armoni is great D2 point guard, I'm not sure he's "good" playing in the SEC. Aside from the NCAA Tournament this year, I haven't otherwise watched a D1 game in 2 years. It's so transient. And the steady product that once was D2 hoops is just JUCO basketball now. A feeder system, if you will. It's unfortunate. Joe's built a tremendous culture to withstand this stuff for a long time to this point. It was going to take one domino to fall for Joe to ultimately change everyone always staying at IUP, and this is that first domino. I guess it's different here because Foster has been in the program for 5 years. It's not like he's bolted at the first opportunity. But this changes the future of Joe's "Hawk Family," "Cut Stone," and "g2G" culture.

You mention Tomiwa and Ethan. Had Foster not left, I wouldn't have felt worried. Now I see no scenario where they finish at IUP. Jabronis on the Pitt message boards are saying that they need to find a way to get Porterfield to leave IUP to come to Pitt. Never in my life did I think that you would hear D1 fans saying, "Hey, let's do some tampering and get a kid at IUP to transfer." But that's what it is now. This stuff is just absurd at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

College basketball is strange. I just hate what this has turned into. Armoni is great D2 point guard, I'm not sure he's "good" playing in the SEC. Aside from the NCAA Tournament this year, I haven't otherwise watched a D1 game in 2 years. It's so transient. And the steady product that once was D2 hoops is just JUCO basketball now. A feeder system, if you will. It's unfortunate. Joe's built a tremendous culture to withstand this stuff for a long time to this point. It was going to take one domino to fall for Joe to ultimately change everyone always staying at IUP, and this is that first domino. I guess it's different here because Foster has been in the program for 5 years. It's not like he's bolted at the first opportunity. But this changes the future of Joe's "Hawk Family," "Cut Stone," and "g2G" culture.

You mention Tomiwa and Ethan. Had Foster not left, I wouldn't have felt worried. Now I see no scenario where they finish at IUP. Jabronis on the Pitt message boards are saying that they need to find a way to get Porterfield to leave IUP to come to Pitt. Never in my life did I think that you would hear D1 fans saying, "Hey, let's do some tampering and get a kid at IUP to transfer." But that's what it is now. This stuff is just absurd at this point.
                      The fact Pitt people are hoping they poach D2 players ... says all you need to know about that dumpster fire program.

Pitt literally just let a D2 kid in their own back yard leave Pennsylvania -- one they went after very hard. Granted, Loyola Chicago is currently a far superior program than Pitt.

Comment

The fact Pitt people are hoping they poach D2 players ... says all you need to know about that dumpster fire program.

Pitt literally just let a D2 kid in their own back yard leave Pennsylvania -- one they went after very hard. Granted, Loyola Chicago is currently a far superior program than Pitt.

Comment

• Luckily for IUP, Joe is a very patient shopper -- and, an excellent recruiter.

They will likely continue to lose some here and there but he will replace them. Thankfully, he has the cash flow to do so.

I do have extreme fears about Ethan and Tomiwa beyond next year. Also, David Morris and Shawndale will be gone after next season. So, this better be an 'all-in' year. He needs to add a Day 1 ready piece to the puzzle.

Comment

Luckily for IUP, Joe is a very patient shopper -- and, an excellent recruiter.

They will likely continue to lose some here and there but he will replace them. Thankfully, he has the cash flow to do so.

I do have extreme fears about Ethan and Tomiwa beyond next year. Also, David Morris and Shawndale will be gone after next season. So, this better be an 'all-in' year. He needs to add a Day 1 ready piece to the puzzle.
                            When you say cash flow- you're referring to scholarship money right? I know IUP has more than most, but aren't all these good players on full scholarships? How else would the schools keep them?

Comment

• I think this year is a bit of an anomaly, since players have that 5th year of eligibility, and most are graduating. Armoni would have been 4 years and out at IUP, but he has that fifth year. Why not see what its like in the upper divisions ? there are a couple more years with that extra fifth year, and then it goes away, so it won't last long. Also, it won't take too long for players to get embarrassed by not getting any offers. The portal will be very different in a couple years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I think this year is a bit of an anomaly, since players have that 5th year of eligibility, and most are graduating. Armoni would have been 4 years and out at IUP, but he has that fifth year. Why not see what its like in the upper divisions ? there are a couple more years with that extra fifth year, and then it goes away, so it won't last long. Also, it won't take too long for players to get embarrassed by not getting any offers. The portal will be very different in a couple years.
                                It had to be a tough choice for Armoni. With him, that could have been a near historic team for IUP next year. That's a lot to walk away from.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X