Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    1. Dante, Malik, Armoni, Cobo, Willem
    2. Cobo
    3a. 3 -- eight-man rotation

And 3b is the impossible part...also, the long-timers might burn the board down when they hear the answer

What's with the riddles?

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

So since the scrimmage isn't something that counts for either team and wasn't really supposed to be publicized...let's play some impossible trivia! You won't win. (Keep your answers in the form of questions.)

1. These players were in the starting five.
    2. This IUP player had 30 points and 19 rebounds
    3a. How many bench players recorded minutes?
    3b. This player led the reserves in minutes played.
    1. Dante, Malik, Armoni, Cobo, Willem
    2. Cobo
    3a. 3 -- eight-man rotation

And 3b is the impossible part...also, the long-timers might burn the board down when they hear the answer

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I saw who they were scrimmaging in a social media post...and then saw the score of the scrimmage from that link a few posts back from the Lexington newspaper. The writer probably wouldn't have otherwise used the score in the story if IUP hadn't just beaten a D-I team. The next paragraph talked about how IUP was somewhat of a Division II dynasty.
    Good hint. Good article.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kentu...220886660.html

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

I saw who they were scrimmaging in a social media post...and then saw the score of the scrimmage from that link a few posts back from the Lexington newspaper. The writer probably wouldn't have otherwise used the score in the story if IUP hadn't just beaten a D-I team. The next paragraph talked about how IUP was somewhat of a Division II dynasty.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

So since the scrimmage isn't something that counts for either team and wasn't really supposed to be publicized...let's play some impossible trivia! You won't win. (Keep your answers in the form of questions.)

To play devil's advocate here ... this non-publicized scrimmage is only publicized because you announced it.

I'm glad you did ... but would have to qualify the information as a leak from good sources. lol.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

1. Cobo, Willem, Marko, Dante, Malik
    2. Willem
    3. All of them
    4. Armoni

30 and 19 is a stat line not seen around here in .... a long time. Dennis Mimms, maybe.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Here's the actual breakdown of the past (3) years in question (i.e. the Dante and Cobo era):

Overall record: 71-20

West titles: 3

Non-conference record: 12-6

PSAC Tournament record: 2-3

Home record: 42-9
    Away record: 28-9
    Neutral: 1-2

NCAA record: 1-1

Those numbers tell a lot of stories. The main point is 1 NCAA win in three years. You can't get around that one.

We could probably list a whole slew of items that have led to this stretch ... some misses on recruits, injuries, suspensions, schedules, etc.

The 'weakest' non-conference schedule they've played was two years ago and they went 28-4 (only NCAA year). IUP went 5-1 in non-conference during this season with the only loss coming in OT against Fairmont State (who eventually lost in the national title game).

I have NO DOUBT that playing these hero schedules has cost them two of the past three tournaments. They don't help get you ready for March ... when you're at home watching on TV.

The depth thing has been just baffling. The redshirting has been baffling. Will it happen again? Odds probably say yes.

The Dante factor is certainly one believed by many. No hiding that item. But, he hasn't been the whole problem. Has he cost them some games? No doubt.

My conclusion is they've had talent. There is ZERO reason they shouldn't have made all three tournaments.

For those of us who watch every game, you can pick moments in each season.

Three years ago WCU hit a Hail Mary in the PSAC Tournament. A week before Joe blew his top and lost at Seton Hill. Poof.

Last year, starting 0-2 was just devastating. Malik missing a month on a team with no depth. Seton Hill (again) debacle and the Glover suspension. Keyes getting sat for reasons nobody still understands. By the way, it sounds like he's going to AGAIN do this -- Ulrich is likely taking the redshirt.

The only thing I know is every season starts fresh. It's a fun ride. Highs and lows.

I will tell you this, ICH, I like this team. Nobody in D2 has the post trio IUP has this year. I can't say I've liked the past three teams all that much -- although they did make things interesting.

All of that said, this team is going as far as Dante takes them. Like it not, he's flying the plane. He's a senior now. Time to play like one.

Don't forget the 'legend' of DeVante Chance didn't really become THE 'DeVante Chance' until his senior year.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    This is crazy man! Every year on this forum the past bunch of years it has been the exact same thing. You guys talk this team up and then a few months later you all are doing a post-mortem on the team while the season is still in progress. Gee, Bravado should not have scheduled all of those good teams at the beginning of the season. The team was not ready for those games. Gosh, we have no depth at all. Goodness, why is this guy being redshirted?

You want to know why there are problems at guard with this program? Because Bravado sold the whole program down the river so he could play his son. Instead of getting a real baller back there in the tradition of Chance, Stewart, Ashton, Sanders, Young, Norwood----you guys got this! And this is what you will have for another year. Don't blame me for it.

And I am no longer a fan of the D-II women's game at all. I like D-I MBB. Period.

My best advice is to get ready for MORE OF THE SAME!

Don't hate on an honest man.

-

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Cobo on Willem:

"I've never seen Willem playing this well. He's a beast right now. No one can stop him in practice. He's doing an amazing job."

Sounds like WR Justin Hunter of the Steelers. Great practice player. Just sayin'

-

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Then you don't know basketball or basketball talent! You've always hated the mens program and you love watching the girls. They only flaw on this team could be the depth at guard, other than that they are solid. This could be a big year if they bring it together. Quit hatin!!!
    This is crazy man! Every year on this forum the past bunch of years it has been the exact same thing. You guys talk this team up and then a few months later you all are doing a post-mortem on the team while the season is still in progress. Gee, Bravado should not have scheduled all of those good teams at the beginning of the season. The team was not ready for those games. Gosh, we have no depth at all. Goodness, why is this guy being redshirted?

You want to know why there are problems at guard with this program? Because Bravado sold the whole program down the river so he could play his son. Instead of getting a real baller back there in the tradition of Chance, Stewart, Ashton, Sanders, Young, Norwood----you guys got this! And this is what you will have for another year. Don't blame me for it.

And I am no longer a fan of the D-II women's game at all. I like D-I MBB. Period.

My best advice is to get ready for MORE OF THE SAME!

Don't hate on an honest man.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Cobo on Willem:

"I've never seen Willem playing this well. He's a beast right now. No one can stop him in practice. He's doing an amazing job."

I mentioned several times on here over the past year I really thought Willem came on very strong as the season went along last year. I thought Joe kept a way-too-tight leash on him in the first half and slowly let him start to get more involved (late in the season).

He checks a lot of boxes for being 6'10" (solid, strong, athletic, can shoot, rebound). He's my pick for a breakout season. It took a long time for him to come out of his shell last year. But he really has some unlimited upside at the D2 level.

The beauty of the season Willem can have is Cobo and Marko are going to draw so, so much attention. The way Willem can dunk from anywhere ... those two should be popping him easy assists all night.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Why? Shouldn't a team with such lofty rankings/expectations have at least advanced to the NCAA playoffs the year or two before. I just don't see it.

-
    Then you don't know basketball or basketball talent! You've always hated the mens program and you love watching the girls. They only flaw on this team could be the depth at guard, other than that they are solid. This could be a big year if they bring it together. Quit hatin!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Then that would be a change. Every year it seems to be more of the same. You guys talk them up. The pundits and pollsters rate them up. By the time March comes around the ship is full of water and ready to sink from an overly ambitious schedule and a complete lack of any kind of quality of depth. I'll be surprised if things go any different this year to be honest.

But in fairness---Bravado's two national title game teams did seem to come a bit out of nowhere to make such runs. Time will tell. I'm expecting more of the same to be honest.

-
    That first paragraph sounds more like a Joe beef. Perhaps (actually) well-deserved the past three years. There's no doubt some things that keep happening ... getting pretty stale.

Guards will tell the tale this year. Post is stacked.

The long ride starts soon.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X