X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

I've coached against Malik and Armoni, let me tell you that they are both legit talents. To me, Armoni was a little better than Malik. The difference to me was Malik has a calmer demeanor to him. I'm hoping Armoni has grown up and matured as a player because his talents will help immediately. If that does happen then Dante can slide to shooting guard where he is better suited.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Million dollar question.

Can he take them to the promised lands?

Bravado emptied the bank account.

Leave a comment:

• PSACwatcher
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Iup basketball

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Exactly! That was precisely my argument in a nutshell.

We are mentioning all of these past great IUP guards. Dante is not at present in the same stratosphere as many of those top names being floated such as Chance, Dwyer, Norfleet, Stewart, Ashton Smith, Julian Sanders, Wes Layton, et al.

He still has one more year to change that. But this is something that could really come back to bite the legacy of Bravado. People will say why did you not bring in better guards than your son during those four years? Heck, I think a lot of IUP fans much preferred Spain to Dante at the PG position.

Bravado has been one hell of a ball coach here and a good dude. I hope it all works out.

But yeah, the schedule, the rotation, the seeming unwillingness to look beyond your son at PG have not helped things in the past three seasons. You don't want the IUP Angry Mob coming down on you the way it did on Curt Cignetti over certain issues. LOL.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    I don't think Dante or any one player is the sole blame for missing two out of the last three NCAAs. Maybe Joe just likes his primary ball-handlers (Devante, Dyer, Norfleet, Dante) to play heavy minutes -- which then gets us back into the depth issue.
    You're right. No single player. Heck, you could blame Bravado Joe. Play cupcakes instead of Findlay types and he's dancing yearly.

But ... And, this is a big 'but' ...

This is a program with a ton of coin being dumped in to it. From, of course, a lot of people. That comes with expectations. You want money ... And lots of it ... you best win.

I think Joe has swung and missed on some recruits. Did the team get soft? Yes. Have they underachieved? Yes. Bad luck? Yes, that, too.

End of day this is a results business. Save the feel good stories for the girl scouts. From someone who writes checks ... I don't want to see walk-ons playing in vital moments. The 'why' to me is irrelevent.

I don't want to see East Stroudsburg roll in here 13 deep and our 'fully funded' team is rolling out intramural players. That's purely on Bravado.

This program has lost a lot of support the past three years. That's a fact. Reasons ... opinions vary.

Some of you watch things from afar. They were maybe getting 800 a game last year for much of the season. They can report whatever they want. A few big gates at the end really spiked the average attendance.

Leave a comment:

• PSACwatcher
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Most unheralded PG ever at IUP ... name somehow forgotten ... DeWayne Anthony.

Don't forget White Lightning ... Wes Layton. His performance in the regional title run in 2002 ... one for the books. Best team in school history ... my opinion. Final Four but I put No. 1. That was the era when IUP and Cal played .... biggest show in town all year.
    No question about it. Wes Layton was a terrific PG. That was the Mims team. No one will ever forget them.

Who was Dewayne Anthony? I don't recall him to be honest. What years did he play?

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Most unheralded PG ever at IUP ... name somehow forgotten ... DeWayne Anthony.

Don't forget White Lightning ... Wes Layton. His performance in the regional title run in 2002 ... one for the books. Best team in school history ... my opinion. Final Four but I put No. 1. That was the era when IUP and Cal played .... biggest show in town all year.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 07-25-2018, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
    One way to evaluate whether a player is a D2 talent capable of winning a PSAC championship - if given a substantial role - is to ask and answer this question: If that player were competing at the D3 level, would he dominate or just blend in? If he would not dominate at the D3 level, then he is likely a role player at the D2 level in the PSAC and probably not worthy of 30+ minutes per game. We have seen that with other players who transferred out of the PSAC to D3 programs. They blend into D3 programs and do well, but they don't dominate.

The issue is not whether DL is a player capable of fulfilling a role on IUP's team - he certainly is. The issue is: what should that role be? If a more talented, explosive player were afforded that role and given those minutes, would that increase IUP's chances of winning a PSAC championship? It would be interesting to confidentially ask the IUP assistant coaches their opinions on the subject.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

I don't think Dante or any one player is the sole blame for missing two out of the last three NCAAs. Maybe Joe just likes his primary ball-handlers (Devante, Dyer, Norfleet, Dante) to play heavy minutes -- which then gets us back into the depth issue.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Regarding Dante----my main point was that he was taking the spot of a player who could possibly really make a difference for IUP (e.g. like a Chance or an Ashton).

In a sense Bravado has put the brakes on the rocket sled IUP hoops that he so masterfully crafted to stick with Dante for four years. I just don't feel that he is the best possible player that IUP could have at that position.

He's a decent player. Not bad. But also not the very best that they could have either IMHO. He has produced some good moments and some not so good ones in the opportunity that he has had to play. Wasn't there a 1-17 postseason shooting night? Do most players survive something like that and still retain the confidence of the coach?

I'm sure he is a great kid and I did not mean anything personal against him.

The rather thin rotation that Bravado has incorporated the past few years has to also be looked at with much scrutiny.

-

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X