X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

These two fan bases got along so well this year. Real strides.

Regional weekend has officially arrived now when this topic surfaces.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-06-2017, 05:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Penguins87
    replied

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    Here we go... Bonifant put up incredible offensive numbers in a wide open offensive conference where games are routinely played in the triple digits. I'm not knocking the conference for not playing defense, but that's just not the M.O. down there. Bonifant fit very well into the conference he played in and the scheme West Liberty played against the competition they faced.

Sleva is bigger than Bonifant, is twice the defender, can rebound better, and can make all of the same shots that Bonifant could. That's the reality. In the conference that he plays in, Sleva is forced to play underneath and get mauled by bangers in the paint on a nightly basis. At the same time, he's the guy bringing them up the floor, spotting up hitting 3's in transition, and running the offense. 1 on 1 with nobody else on the court, Sleva's game is better than Bonifant's. That's no disrespect, but Bonifant wouldn't last banging with Sleva underneath for a full 40 minutes while still trying to guard him on the three point line.

Sleva's game is tremendous. Absolutely tremendous.

And I'm sorry, how many national titles games he played in has nothing to do with player comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The idea that defense is not played in the MEC is laughable. You obviously didn't watch yesterday's title game.

Also, don't take my word for it. Take the coach from Lincoln Memorial's.

http://wvmetronews.com/2016/03/24/bo...iller-103-102/

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Penguins87 View Post
    You must have a really short memory. Bonifant's credentials are unmatched.

More than 2,000 points. Multiple national, regional and conference player of the year awards. Conference Male Athlete of the Year twice. Played for a national title and in two Final Fours.

The display he put on in the national semifinals last year is the single most impressive performance I have seen.
    Here we go... Bonifant put up incredible offensive numbers in a wide open offensive conference where games are routinely played in the triple digits. I'm not knocking the conference for not playing defense, but that's just not the M.O. down there. Bonifant fit very well into the conference he played in and the scheme West Liberty played against the competition they faced.

Sleva is bigger than Bonifant, is twice the defender, can rebound better, and can make all of the same shots that Bonifant could. That's the reality. In the conference that he plays in, Sleva is forced to play underneath and get mauled by bangers in the paint on a nightly basis. At the same time, he's the guy bringing them up the floor, spotting up hitting 3's in transition, and running the offense. 1 on 1 with nobody else on the court, Sleva's game is better than Bonifant's. That's no disrespect, but Bonifant wouldn't last banging with Sleva underneath for a full 40 minutes while still trying to guard him on the three point line.

Sleva's game is tremendous. Absolutely tremendous.

And I'm sorry, how many national titles games he played in has nothing to do with player comparisons.

Leave a comment:

• Penguins87
    replied

You must have a really short memory. Bonifant's credentials are unmatched.

More than 2,000 points. Multiple national, regional and conference player of the year awards. Conference Male Athlete of the Year twice. Played for a national title and in two Final Fours.

The display he put on in the national semifinals last year is the single most impressive performance I have seen.

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    On a different note, I can see why Sleva is a frustrating guy to play against. He's really good. No disrespect to Segar Bonifant or the West Liberty fans, but he's a better player than Bonifant was. There's no debate on that. He handles the ball like a guard, uses his size like a big man. Faster than Bonifant, bigger, more finesse moves, better power game, tremendous rebounder. There's really nothing you can do on him to limit his game at this level.

And he's a high energy guy that plays with a lot of emotion. That's evident. And those guys, when they aren't on your team and are torching you like he was today, they're giant pains in the asses to play against. It seemed like all of the extracurriculars really fueled him today. All of the post whistle scrums, the fact that he was public enemy number one in that building when he touched the ball. It motivated him. And boy, does it seem like he really embraces that role of the villain. He taunted the IUP crowd every trip back down the court. At times it seemed like he was more interested in wagging his tongue at the crowd after draining a 3 than he was at getting back on defense. Not everybody can play the role of the villain and create that identify for yourself and be the best player on the floor in multiple facets of the game. Tremendous player.

Ship will be a tough out next week.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Tom's entire roster (plus the addition of Audrey Stapleton) returns next year. IUP Catholic is going to be pretty powerful.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Congratulations to the iup women on their tournament win. I told you tom was doing a great job. I have been very vocal about mazzante coming to Gannon. If a school was going to go in a different direction with a new coach, how long after the season does a school typically wait before letting them go.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Mansfield isn't really d2 is it?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Hey, look, the moron troll is back.

Maybe so, Troll man, ... how's your WCU and Mansfield boys doing? Getting ready for the banquets?
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-06-2017, 01:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    This group is very close but just seems to be missing something when the lights get bright. Maybe it's that DeVante Chance-type leader and grit/swagger. There's something to this team. The region's best teams can't put them away. Something is just a little off.
    Drake, Chicago St, Harford, Shenanndoah, Lackawanna, Quinnipiac - maybe it's meshing issues??

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

"IUP Women should feel very thankful they got Cal at the end of the season, when 28 ppg. were missing from their lineup..."

Geez ... Lenny Williams come to mind ... we know the feeling. It sucks for Cal but it's part of the game.
    A 3rd PSAC would have been nice, but when you switch from the most veteran team to a much younger team, it's bound to affect your play. But for no reason I can figure CALU still gets to host.....at HAMER HALL 😀

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Saturday was a lot to digest. Here are my 'clearer mind' comments:

* IUP could lose to Kutztown or win the Regional. Neither would totally surprise me at this point.
    * This pattern of digging themselves in to these giant holes in big games is hard to figure out -- Ship's blown two 20-point, second half leads to IUP.
    * The comebacks they keep routinely making are also hard to figure out ... what is changing? They did it to Ship twice and Fairmont (not exactly easy teams to mount giant comebacks against)
    * Ship (both games) had a field day with wide-open three point shots ... why? You could argue it was due to Sleva underneath but he did whatever he wanted anyway.
    * Ship shot the lights out percentage-wise but getting that many open looks surely makes it a little easier to shoot at those percentages
    * Ship's guards have had field days in both games
    * Despite all this both Ship games were there to win at the end (somehow)
    * IUP's press was largely ineffective for much of the game yet they stayed in it for so long. They've struggled both games playing a run-n-gun with Ship.
    * Cottrell getting that second foul so, so early was just a total killer
    * Not sure how many tuned in yesterday but Kutztown played Ship much differently defensively than how Joe did
    * Hutton has to start bringing more production to the table. His stat line was non-existent Saturday.
    * Ship was just the hungrier team for the first 33 minutes. They played with a chip and had an unreal high level of intensity.
    * Fite has pulled some big WPIAL talent from the West's backyard
    * Obviously Dante can't bust out another 2-18 from the field. He seemed pretty rattled.
    * Ship did a tremendous job altering IUP's offense and limiting the ability to pass the ball around as they like to do
    * That game was Malik Miller's true coming out party. He brought the spark and toughness/attitude the team was desperately lacking most of the game. He'd been reserved most of the season. It was nice to see but at the same time why is a freshman the one lighting the spark?
    * Dramatic comebacks have been exciting and all but IUP is 1-3 (all at home) against regional level teams -- and a converted Hutton air-ball away from 0-4.

This group is very close but just seems to be missing something when the lights get bright. Maybe it's that DeVante Chance-type leader and grit/swagger. There's something to this team. The region's best teams can't put them away. Something is just a little off.

Nobody remembers conference tournaments. The games that count start this weekend.
    Lots of good points. Though after seeing Ship against KU, I have to say they played much better against IUP. IUP's shooting has been horrible at times, with Dante leading the way on Saturday. As far as what's "off", I don't know for sure either. It seems that no one wants to be the guy that takes the winning shot. They hesitate

But I agree, losing in the first round or winning the region, equal possibilities.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

"IUP Women should feel very thankful they got Cal at the end of the season, when 28 ppg. were missing from their lineup..."

Geez ... Lenny Williams come to mind ... we know the feeling. It sucks for Cal but it's part of the game.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Saturday was a lot to digest. Here are my 'clearer mind' comments:

* IUP could lose to Kutztown or win the Regional. Neither would totally surprise me at this point.
    * This pattern of digging themselves in to these giant holes in big games is hard to figure out -- Ship's blown two 20-point, second half leads to IUP.
    * The comebacks they keep routinely making are also hard to figure out ... what is changing? They did it to Ship twice and Fairmont (not exactly easy teams to mount giant comebacks against)
    * Ship (both games) had a field day with wide-open three point shots ... why? You could argue it was due to Sleva underneath but he did whatever he wanted anyway.
    * Ship shot the lights out percentage-wise but getting that many open looks surely makes it a little easier to shoot at those percentages
    * Ship's guards have had field days in both games
    * Despite all this both Ship games were there to win at the end (somehow)
    * IUP's press was largely ineffective for much of the game yet they stayed in it for so long. They've struggled both games playing a run-n-gun with Ship.
    * Cottrell getting that second foul so, so early was just a total killer
    * Not sure how many tuned in yesterday but Kutztown played Ship much differently defensively than how Joe did
    * Hutton has to start bringing more production to the table. His stat line was non-existent Saturday.
    * Ship was just the hungrier team for the first 33 minutes. They played with a chip and had an unreal high level of intensity.
    * Fite has pulled some big WPIAL talent from the West's backyard
    * Obviously Dante can't bust out another 2-18 from the field. He seemed pretty rattled.
    * Ship did a tremendous job altering IUP's offense and limiting the ability to pass the ball around as they like to do
    * That game was Malik Miller's true coming out party. He brought the spark and toughness/attitude the team was desperately lacking most of the game. He'd been reserved most of the season. It was nice to see but at the same time why is a freshman the one lighting the spark?
    * Dramatic comebacks have been exciting and all but IUP is 1-3 (all at home) against regional level teams -- and a converted Hutton air-ball away from 0-4.

Nobody remembers conference tournaments. The games that count start this weekend.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-06-2017, 10:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    IUP Women should feel very thankful they got Cal at the end of the season, when 28 ppg. were missing from their lineup...
    AND the just shut award was given!!! You can say that about a lot of teams when injuries happen. No validity here, injuries happen in sports!!!

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    Oddity from the weekend:

The two schools that hosted the men's & women's PSAC final fours both won PSAC titles. But neither school won the final four that they hosted. Ship men won at IUP; IUP women won at Ship.
    IUP Women should feel very thankful they got Cal at the end of the season, when 28 ppg. were missing from their lineup...

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X