Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    So, in order:

WJ/WL (12pm)
    Ship/VUU
    break
    FSU/BS (6pm-ish)
    IUP/Kutz

Anybody ever attended and did the full day?
    I attended the full 2013 women's Atlantic Regional. It is a fantastic, draining day of basketball. (I wanted to attend the full day of the 2009 men's Atlantic regional, but I had an engagement in the afternoon I couldn't get out of). It's four elimination games all with good teams playing. No slouches.

I was also at the quarterfinal day of the 2014 women's Elite Eight. Even more fantastic and draining.

Wish I could be at Fairmont on Saturday, even if Gannon isn't playing.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Sleva isn't a senior this year. He's only a junior.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

To add a little sabermetrics to the Seger vs Sleva Holy War: Comparison of Seger's Senior Year Stats vs Sleva's Junior Year Stats.

MINUTES TOTAL 3-PTS F-THROWS REBOUNDS SCORING
    ## Player GP GS Tot Avg FG FGA Pct 3FG FGA Pct FT FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
    12 SLEVA, Dustin 28 28 910 32.5 219 405 .541 51 126 .405 132 164 .805 78 235 313 11.2 78 2 90 65 22 27 621 22.2
    MINUTES TOTAL 3-PTS F-THROWS REBOUNDS SCORING
    ## Player GP GS Tot Avg FG FGA Pct 3FG FGA Pct FT FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
    Seger Bonifant 35 35 1155 33 312 535 .583 114 231 .494 152 182 .835 34 150 184 5.3 89 2 107 70 27 22 890 25.4

I assumed incorrectly, that Sleva was a senior. He's actually a junior, so that makes the comparison a bit stickier.
    Last edited by IUP Extra Mile; 03-07-2017, 02:50 PM. Reason: Key Information

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

So, in order:

WJ/WL (12pm)
    Ship/VUU
    break
    FSU/BS (6pm-ish)
    IUP/Kutz

Anybody ever attended and did the full day?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Anyone who's followed the Atlantic Regional for any length of time already knew this, but it's official on IUP's website. The game with Kutztown will be the nightcap on Saturday, tipping around 8:30 or 30 minutes after the Fairmont/Bowie game ends

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Getting back to the subject thread here ...

The biggest item in this Kutztown game is how Joe defends Ethan Ridgeway -- the Golden Bears' dynamic (ultra fast and elusive) 5'10" point guard.

In the first meeting (77-76 IUP win), Dante only played 16 minutes and sat almost the entire second half. Spain is best-suited to defend Ridgeway but I wonder if that's the plan? In simplified terms, the Kutztown offense is largely Ridgeway creating havoc driving to the hoop and then kicking it out or (if it's there) taking the shot/layup. His height keeps him very low to the ground and with his speed, he's very difficult and hard to guard. Spain did a very good job on him in the first game but that largely takes Dante (and his offense) off the floor.

That matchup, whomever covers Ridgeway, will determine who wins this game. Ridgeway would be an extremely difficult matchup for Dante. My 'coaching plan' would be Spain starts over Hutton in this case and keep Dante on the floor but Spain gets the defensive assignment.

Leave a comment:

• Penguins87
    replied

I watched him from Game 1 of his career to the final one. I am not a fan. I am a writer. Been doing this a long time. He is the best I have seen. Not saying someone can't surpass him, but let's slow down a bit.

As far as another poster saying "careful what you wish for," if WLU and Ship play, the Toppers will be ready. It's not like they haven't played dominant big men before.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Originally posted by Penguins87 View Post
    My reference to defense was from yesterday's title game. My point of don't take my word for it, was Lincoln Memorial's coach saying in that story that he told his team before the game Bonifant was the best player he had ever seen at this level.

But since you mentioned it, anyone that was at that 103-102 game will attest the defense was incredible and guys made one tough shot after the next.

Bonifant would score in whatever league he played in. Which is why he is playing pro ball.

Bonifant weighs 220, by the way. And he bullied people in the post. So not sure what you watched.
    I watched West Liberty from the Regional Quarterfinals all the way through the National Semifinals, so I'm certainly aware of Bonifant's incredible talents.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    My reference to defense was from yesterday's title game. My point of don't take my word for it, was Lincoln Memorial's coach saying in that story that he told his team before the game Bonifant was the best player he had ever seen at this level.

But since you mentioned it, anyone that was at that 103-102 game will attest the defense was incredible and guys made one tough shot after the next.

Bonifant would score in whatever league he played in. Which is why he is playing pro ball.

Bonifant weighs 220, by the way. And he bullied people in the post. So not sure what you watched.

Not sure what I watched? Apparently not the same skinny kid that you did..

Doesn't look like he gained any weight between college and pro ball...

http://www.hilltoppersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2214

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/.../Summary/70755

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Seger also had 14 combined points over two games and 66 minutes against IUP so maybe that's why we don't all drool over him and put him alongside LeBron James. Granted he was a sophomore and junior in those games but he was shutdown in both meetings. WL won the first one in double OT and IUP won the second one.

So it's not implausible that Sleva is at his level if not above it. Sleva will be highly sought after in the pro ranks. He really should be playing high-level D1 right now. You guys at WL are going to get to experience him soon enough. Be careful what you wish for ... Sleva on Gross won't be pretty.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-06-2017, 07:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Penguins87
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I was wondering that as the defense reference myself.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

The idea that defense is not played in the MEC is laughable. You obviously didn't watch yesterday's title game.

Also, don't take my word for it. Take the coach from Lincoln Memorial's.

http://wvmetronews.com/2016/03/24/bo...iller-103-102/
    I don't think a 103-102 shootout is the best example of basketball defense, but okay...

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

The idea that defense is not played in the MEC is laughable. You obviously didn't watch yesterday's title game.

Also, don't take my word for it. Take the coach from Lincoln Memorial's.

http://wvmetronews.com/2016/03/24/bo...iller-103-102/
    You know what else is laughable? All of the jabroni's from down on the hilltop that run to the tool shed to grab the torches and pitchforks whenever there's a post on this board that doesn't suggest that Segar Bonifant was the next Magic Johnson. The kid was a great player, but he's not the second coming.

You know what's even funnier? You insinuating that I said that they don't play defense in the MEC, because that's not what I said. Saying "that's just not the M.O. down there" doesn't mean they don't play defense. They play a different type of game. As a big man for a PSAC school, Bonifant wouldn't have poured in over 2,000 points. That's not a knock on him or the MEC. I'm not saying one conference is superior to the other. The styles of play are just different. That's it. The style of play in the PSAC would have never allowed him the opportunity to score that much.

You know what the difference between Bonifant and Sleva is? Body type. Aside from that, exact same player. Bonifant was a lanky 6'7" that weighed 200lbs with a sweaty jersey. Sleva is 6'8" 230, is thick, and built. Both are tremendous athletes and have great speed. Both of those guys stretch the floor and can shoot over top of somebody. Sleva can go inside with his size, bang with the best of the big men in D2, can body up and play D underneath, and is a tremendous rebounder. His rare mixture of offensive skill, size, and athleticism isn't seen at this level. And again, I can't stress this enough. Segar Bonifant was a great player at West Liberty. Seeing both play, if I'm starting a team, I'm picking Sleva.

Both act like total jerk-offs on the court too, so there's another similarity.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
    Mansfield isn't really d2 is it?
    Yes, they are. They may have their struggles on the basketball court, but they've got a decent baseball team.

Also, worth noting, it's the same Mansfield who beat Duquesne in a preseason exhibition to start the season, so...

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X