X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

To make it worse for you that's in the 'no live feed' period over break.

I haven't heard a whole lot about Fairmont this off-season (other than the obvious coaching change). They lost some major studs but still have some coming back. I can't see them being any worse than third in the MEC so it's a good strength of schedule game regardless.

As you recall Boat said that IUP wanted to play WL but the terms were two games in Indiana and one in WL. If that was accurate I wonder if when Crutch turned it down Calhoun accepted those terms?

Regardless, it's a great series. FSU has beat Joe three straight games ... not many (any?) can say that in the past decade. Last year's game (OT game) at the KCAC was an absolute thriller. That was the team Calhoun built up for ... we'll see how it transitions under the new coach.

I kind of think there's going to be another monster team next year out of WV in addition to the MEC's top teams. Alderson Broaddus is going to be nasty this coming season.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Confirmed men's game:

Fairmont State at IUP - 12/19/2017

In addition to Findlay and Ferris State ... becoming quite the non-conference schedule.

I would love to see these marquee home games played on a weekend. I would love to be able to see that. Would've totally come in from Columbus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Confirmed men's game:

Fairmont State at IUP - 12/19/2017

In addition to Findlay and Ferris State ... becoming quite the non-conference schedule.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 06-27-2017, 10:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

She didn't play much at YSU but was injured early in the season. Denman is the player every team needs ... does a lot of the 'non stat sheet' stuff.

Tom's biggest challenge is going to be keeping everybody happy ... only so many minutes to go around. He'd actually have the depth to run two lineups if he wanted to do so. Five in and five out.

This will also be the first time in a while that they'll enter the season with extremely high expectations.
    Well said on all counts. The IUP gals should be able to run a very quality and deep rotation.

Some sad news for IUP in the passing of retired IUP administrator Nancy Newkerk who was a fixture at IUP athletic events for many years. Her support was always amazing and in fact even landed her an honorary spot in the IUP Athletic Hall of Fame some years back.

I would also be remiss if I did not mention the passing of two IUP legends last winter/spring in Ruth Podbielski and Rich Ingold. If you ever enjoyed an IUP women's sporting event on campus, then you owed it all to Ruth Pod. She was the originator of women's athletics at IUP. It all started with her and her many, many years of arduous service towards that endeavor. Rich Ingold was the first superstar player of the Frank Cignetti as AD-George Chaump as football coach era that was ushered in in 1982. He was a fantastic QB who I think is very fair to say established the template for the QB position at IUP.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

She didn't play much at YSU but was injured early in the season. Denman is the player every team needs ... does a lot of the 'non stat sheet' stuff.

Tom's biggest challenge is going to be keeping everybody happy ... only so many minutes to go around. He'd actually have the depth to run two lineups if he wanted to do so. Five in and five out.

This will also be the first time in a while that they'll enter the season with extremely high expectations.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

I see that Oduho is listed as a 5-11 G. Didn't seem like she had that much playing time at YSU. Same high school as that Brooks girl that was at IUP several years back. Maybe she challenges Denman's spot....but even though Denman doesn't have remarkable stats that just grab you, I wouldn't be too quick to discount her or the job that she does and what she brings to the IUP attack. Teams need players like her.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    It's an interesting late add that will end up being a starter.
    Is she eligible to play this coming season?

Starting jobs are at a premium on the IUP WBB roster.

Three all-conference players in PG Appleby, F Megan Smith, and SG/SF Wolosik.

Maybe edges out SG Denman or PF Robinson for a spot in the starting five. But D'Anna is also coming on strong for more minutes down in the post.

But nice problem to have when you are merely looking for playing time for quality players rather than just desperately looking for any warm body that may just be able to man a position for a time.

How about the nice job that the Sacramento Kings did the other night at the NBA Draft? Nice job of a talent infusion there.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Tom added a transfer over the weekend. Jen Oduho (5'11") has signed with IUP after playing last season at Youngstown State.

She will have three years' eligibility.

Interesting late add considering the whole roster from last year returns (that we know of, anyway) in addition to Audrey Stapleton coming off redshirt.

That's a very, very deep roster.
    It's an interesting late add that will end up being a starter.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

They open with Findlay and play Ferris State the following day.

It's a really strong field. Tough start but I'll take it any day over seeing a cupcake opening weekend.

Leave a comment:

• JDonAB92
    replied

IUP men open up against Findlay this season in the Hall of Fame Classic. Findlay made it to the Midwest Regional Final game last year before falling to Bellarmine. Findlay returns most of last year's team.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I would have to say anything short of the Elite 8 would probably be a little disappointing for the women. This is the year they've been building up to the past two seasons.

Tom's biggest hurdle is going to be keeping everybody somewhat happy with minutes. I was a little surprised he took the transfer this past week but he's going all in it appears.

The men have the big opening tournament out in Indianapolis and I've heard some rumors of a big home and home with an MEC heavyweight that hasn't been announced yet by either school.

Unfortunately they won't get to play Ship until (likely) the PSAC Tournament. I'm not completely sure Joe's roster is set yet. There may be one more addition/subtraction.

With football also having sky high expectations it's going to be a pretty fun year upcoming.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

This is going to be an interesting season to watch unfold for Tom. Expectations probably couldn't be any higher. He's got an incredibly deep bench. I'll be curious to see if he can avoid the drama with playing time, etc.

I'd fully expect them to open the season as a Top 3 team in most polls.
    Well, there will be an Indiana Stapleton on the team this year....I wonder how that will play out in regards to the rotation/playing time? Indiana politics are a mighty curious thing.

The big post DeAnna (name?) needs to get much more minutes in my opinion.

IUP WBB should be strong contenders to host both the PSAC and Atlantic Region tourneys this year. Interestingly, it will be the 10-year anniversary of the infamous Mount Olive affair come next March.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

This is going to be an interesting season to watch unfold for Tom. Expectations probably couldn't be any higher. He's got an incredibly deep bench. I'll be curious to see if he can avoid the drama with playing time, etc.

I'd fully expect them to open the season as a Top 3 team in most polls.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

IUP women are holding a basketball camp the week of June 26. I hear there might be some good young up and coming gals players going to it. Maybe even Shaq Baby!

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Tom added a transfer over the weekend. Jen Oduho (5'11") has signed with IUP after playing last season at Youngstown State.

She will have three years' eligibility.

Interesting late add considering the whole roster from last year returns (that we know of, anyway) in addition to Audrey Stapleton coming off redshirt.

That's a very, very deep roster.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X